NAIAS 2017

Focus is going to Hermosillo.

Where does Fusion go? Or will they expand it and produce both there?

Just saw on Twitter that Flat Rock will be building autonomous vehicles...using some deduction skills...it might indicate that Fusion Production might be starting up there again, since the Fusion has been used in testing that tech and comes in electrified forms.

Maybe Fusion/MKZ hybrids move to Flat Rock?

Another thing to consider...maybe this was the reason why the next gen Mustang was pushed up? Getting all the products on CD6 or whatever its called that are built at Flat Rock?

That could make sense, as the next-gen MKZ (whatever it's called) on CD6 is supposed to debut around the same time as the Mustang, so with this announcement, presumably its' production could be shifted to Flat Rock.....this also would allow them to consolidate 3.0T installation in a single plant (well, unless Navigator gets that engine too).

Where does Fusion go? Or will they expand it and produce both there?

Given how the market is shifting, I'd expect Fusion sales to shrink some. If the MKZ moves to Flat Rock and the shrinkage that the Fusion is seeing, I don't see a problem with producing the Focus at the same plant...have to figure that they'll sell around 175-200K Focus and 175-250K Fusions...which that plant should be able to handle.

Given how the market is shifting, I'd expect Fusion sales to shrink some. If the MKZ moves to Flat Rock and the shrinkage that the Fusion is seeing, I don't see a problem with producing the Focus at the same plant...have to figure that they'll sell around 175-200K Focus and 175-250K Fusions...which that plant should be able to handle.

Wouldn't they need to expand it though? I thought Hermosillo could only go up to 300K units?

That's what I thought.

Maybe that's a future announcement.....since $1.6 was allocated for a new factory, and now $700M is going to FRAP expansion, perhaps part of the remaining $900M goes to Hermosillo expansion to allow for production of both Fusion and Focus.....because MKZ moving doesn't get you enough for Focus unless we're going to see major drops in Fusion/Focus numbers. Edited by rmc523

Maybe that's a future announcement.....since $1.6 was allocated for a new factory, and now $700M is going to FRAP expansion, perhaps part of the remaining $900M goes to Hermosillo expansion to allow for production of both Fusion and Focus.....because MKZ moving doesn't get you enough for Focus unless we're going to see major drops in Fusion/Focus numbers.

Wait - are you saying it's possible that Ford hasn't told us every single factory and product move that it's planning to make for the next 18 years?

• Like 2

Wait - are you saying it's possible that Ford hasn't told us every single factory and product move that it's planning to make for the next 18 years?

Furthermore, maybe some of that money gets put into Louisville for expansion, announced at a later date?

This would help them recoup "lost" production from the MKC move that didn't happen.

Edited by rmc523

Maybe that's a future announcement.....since $1.6 was allocated for a new factory, and now $700M is going to FRAP expansion, perhaps part of the remaining $900M goes to Hermosillo expansion to allow for production of both Fusion and Focus.....because MKZ moving doesn't get you enough for Focus unless we're going to see major drops in Fusion/Focus numbers.

Focus has already dropped to less than 10k a month with zero indication that the decline will slow down.

Case in point, MAP has been shut down for three weeks, and I just drove by last week on my way to an appointment and the holding lot was still packed full of cars. Usually one week is enough to clear out the plant lot.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Focus has already dropped to less than 10k a month with zero indication that the decline will slow down.

Case in point, MAP has been shut down for three weeks, and I just drove by last week on my way to an appointment and the holding lot was still packed full of cars. Usually one week is enough to clear out the plant lot.

I realize the market for such vehicles is down, but Ford has kind of shot themselves in the foot with Focus with so many transmission issues (affecting reputation even if it is largely fixed now) and a refresh that barely anyone noticed. In other words, I wouldn't expect that decline to reverse itself with what they've put out there, unfortunately.

I realize the market for such vehicles is down, but Ford has kind of shot themselves in the foot with Focus with so many transmission issues (affecting reputation even if it is largely fixed now) and a refresh that barely anyone noticed. In other words, I wouldn't expect that decline to reverse itself with what they've put out there, unfortunately.

I concur. There isn't a lot of incentive to buy a new Focus.

This looks like the car production plan going forward... feel free to disagree but looks like Ford decided to scrap Transit Connect (and related pickup truck).

Hermosillo: Focus, Fusion, MKZ

Cuautitlán: Fiesta? EcoSport (and something else... Transit Connect Escape overflow?)

Louisville: Escape, MKC

Flat Rock: Mustang, Model E, Continental, Uber mobile

Oakville: Edge, MKX

Chicago: Explorer, MK?

Edit: probably should have posted in the other thread

Edited by bzcat

If they're not waiting on a new plant does this pave the way for a new Focus sooner than planned?

Wouldn't this also push up Fusion's redesign? To accommodate a plant changeover for production of both.

Also, in theory, depending on plant renovations at FRAP (and platforms), Fusion and MKZ timelines could be more separated.

Edited by rmc523

I thought Hermosillo could only go up to 300K units?

Don't they build more than that now? Sales this year for Fusion and MKZ for US and Canada are 317,038 though November. I thought 100% plant capicity was figured at 2 shifts at 2080hrs per person, OT and 3rd shifts could take those numbers higher.

Don't they build more than that now? Sales this year for Fusion and MKZ for US and Canada are 317,038 though November. I thought 100% plant capicity was figured at 2 shifts at 2080hrs per person, OT and 3rd shifts could take those numbers higher.

FRAP was producing Fusions for part of the year.