2018 F-150 Revealed

Lots of info, includinig:

The new F-150 introduces an all-new, standard 3.3-liter V6 engine, with direct-injection for increased efficiency. The 3.3-liter V6 is expected to offer the same 282 horsepower and 253 lb.-ft. of torque as the previous model’s standard 3.5-liter V6.

An all-new second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine features advanced dual port and direct injection technology, reduced internal friction and improved robustness – all for improved levels of output, efficiency, quality and durability. Like the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be paired to the segment-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission for 2018.

The 5.0-liter V8 also sees improvements in 2018, as the naturally aspirated engine features significant upgrades for increased power and torque. It’s also paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission for the first time.

The 2018 F-150 also adds an available all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, designed, engineered and tested in-house and paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission. It’s the first-ever diesel engine offered for F-150.

In addition to the segment-first 10-speed automatic, the Ford F-150 is now the first full-size pickup truck to add automatic start/stop as standard equipment across all models and engines.

18FordF150_10_HR-edit.jpg

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/01/08/ford-raises-the-bar-again-new-f-150-pickup.html

And that level of engine choice hasn't been available in years.

A V6, two EBs, a V8, and a diesel. The last time they offered that many options, it must've been the '70s, when the 335-family V8s were still in production. For most of the '80s and '90s, the choice was four mills--300 I6, 302 V8, 351W V8, or 460 V8.

I think they photo copped it out of there but see it on a few other pics....have no idea what a mast antenna does anymore that a fin antenna cannot handle.

The truck in the video a few posts up doesn't have a mast antenna. My guess is that the trucks with masts are either early models, or it's possible that the masts are there on certain packages where there's an obstruction (like how the MKZ with the sliding glass roof has the rubber mast on the rear quarter panel).

Edited by SoonerLS

I think they photo copped it out of there but see it on a few other pics....have no idea what a mast antenna does anymore that a fin antenna cannot handle.

If you watch the video right above my first post, there is a shark fin on the passenger side roof and no mast.

A V6, two EBs, a V8, and a diesel. The last time they offered that many options, it must've been the '70s, when the 335-family V8s were still in production. For most of the '80s and '90s, the choice was four mills--300 I6, 302 V8, 351W V8, or 460 V8.

From 1973 thru 1976 the F-100/150 was available with six different engines:

240 ci in-line six

300 ci in-line six

302 ci Windsor V-8

360 ci FE V-8

390 ci Fe V-8

460 ci 385 series V-8

• Like 1

I wonder if the mast is lower end (for instance maybe you need a Sirius capable radio to get the fin?

Im always leery of ford and diesel when spoken together..but ill give the small oil burner a few years to she how she stacks up..at least ford finally has given us the option in the recycled stag beer can truck....not a bad looking refresh either on the whole package but the fake chrome i have no cares for

The mast antenna is for FM radio that I don't know who listens to anymore. The fin style is for satellite.

It is for AM/FM radio. The mast antenna is needed for best reception. A lot of truck guys will be angry if they cannot listen to AM talk radio. The reception in our Ford car with the fin antenna is awful compared to my Ford truck.

Edited by Bryan1

Looks like the mast antenna finally goes away.

Does that mean a Ford product will finally have decent radio reception?

I can't tell you how annoying that is.

Get in a buddy's GM and he's picking up, like, alien baby monitors on Mars, and I can't even reliably pick up in-town stations sometimes.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

The truck in the video a few posts up doesn't have a mast antenna. My guess is that the trucks with masts are either early models, or it's possible that the masts are there on certain packages where there's an obstruction (like how the MKZ with the sliding glass roof has the rubber mast on the rear quarter panel).

There does appear to be a small piece of plastic in the place where a mast antenna would go....which to me either means it still has it, but just not on for show, or they had to fill the existing hole from the mast antenna somehow and went that route

The mast antenna is for FM radio that I don't know who listens to anymore. The fin style is for satellite.

I listen to FM radio for two reasons:

1. For sporting events (OU athletics and the Dallas Cowboys radio calls are on FM around here); and
  2. When Sync freaks out and starts up with the FM band selected (which lasts long enough for me to tell Sync "Bluetooth Audio").

Beyond that, I don't waste my time with the garbage that passes for terrestrial radio in the post-Crapchannel wasteland it has become...

• Like 1

It is for AM/FM radio. The mast antenna is needed for best reception. A lot of truck guys will be angry if they cannot listen to AM talk radio. The reception in our Ford car with the fin antenna is awful compared to my Ford truck.

FWIW, my Lincoln has its antenna in the back glass. It does fine with FM, but its AM reception is abysmal. Not that I actually care about AM reception these days...

Edited by SoonerLS