Jim Hackett's big moment: CEO's vision for Ford will become clearer this week

Traction if the wheels start slipping on wet pavement.

I've never gotten stuck on wet pavement with no traction in a RWD or FWD vehicle. Snow, grass or mud - yes, but not wet pavement. Sorry but I'm just not getting it. I can see hydroplaning but AWD won't help with that.

I prefer rwd, fwd, or part time 4 wheel. AWD has too many parts moving all the time. The center viscous coupler between front and rear, the half shafts on the secondary axle, even tires get worn out faster. It's just extra maintenance that I'd rather not have to deal with. Also I find that snow tires make as least as much difference as AWD/4x4 does. A fresh set of snow tires on a 2wd anything (even including something as poorly balanced as a reg cab Ranger) and I've never been stuck in these cold snowy northern IL winters. People like to buy way more capability than they need though.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

http://shareholder.ford.com/~/media/Files/F/Ford-IR-V2/events-and-presentations/2017/10-03-2017/Ford-CEO-Strategic-Update-Oct-3-2017.pdf might be easier to find,

you can also call in at Access Information – Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017

Ford CEO Strategic Update Call: 4:30 p.m. EDT
Toll-Free: 1.877.870.8664
International: 1.970.297.2423
Passcode: Ford Update
Web: www.shareholder.ford.com

REPLAY
(Available after 10 p.m. EDT the day of the event through Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2017)
www.shareholder.ford.com
Toll-Free: 1.855.859.2056
International: 1.404.537.3406

Replay Passcode: 92563690

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/03/ford-to-cut-costs-funneling-savings-to-electric-self-driving-cars.html

Highlights:

Ford plans to reallocate about $7 billion to increased development and production of trucks and SUVs, while demphasizing less profitable cars and sedans.

Ford is not getting out of the car business all-together, but it will no longer be an automaker that pushes cars as heavily as it has in the past.

Instead, Ford will emphasize trucks and SUVs, an area of strength and big profits, especially when compared its competitors. This year, 76 percent of Ford's sales in the U.S. are trucks and SUVs.

Like other automakers, Ford is going electric.

Over the next five years, it will redeploy money into its program for developing and building electric vehicles while cutting capital expenditures for internal combustion engines by one third.

Ford sees the writing on the wall, especially in many foreign markets where governments are de-emphasizing or moving to ban gasoline-powered vehicles. This move is critical since Ford has lagged competitors when it comes to developing EVs.

Ford is moving quickly to cut expenditures, including a $10 billion reduction in material costs over the next five years. That means slashing the complexity and content in many of the vehicles it builds.

For example, the number of combinations a customer can order for the next-generation Ford Fusion will go from about 35,000 to 96.

Meanwhile, the automaker is targeting a $4 billion reduction in engineering expenses over the next five years while cutting how long it takes to develop a new vehicle by 20 percent.

I guess it's taking so long because development was started later?

Listening to this Conference call it sounds like PD was a mess, and the right hand didn't know what the left was doing. Basically admitted that the fundamentals were still good, but were going downhill fast.

If bronco is that far out then they should just crap can the whole program..here we go again..its as if ford does not want to build the bronco..ranger as fleet is a head scratcher...is ranger destined for inner city markets with lectric engine....i luv the line they are not abandoning cars...but they turn right around and admit they are a truck/suv company....i feel like ford has entered a paraell universe

• Like 1

If bronco is that far out then they should just crap can the whole program..here we go again..its as if ford does not want to build the bronco..ranger as fleet is a head scratcher...is ranger destined for inner city markets with lectric engine....i luv the line they are not abandoning cars...but they turn right around and admit they are a truck/suv company....i feel like ford has entered a paraell universe

Ranger won't be exclusively fleet if that's what you're getting at. But it sounds like they're going to offer it to fleets, and obviously retail customers.

They show the Ecosport as 2018....which is the model year....so maybe they are showing the "available" year.

That makes more sense, because everything previously said Ranger for 2019, Bronco 2020. But getting Ranger in 2018 as a 2019 makes sense.

Last page: "3 other vehicles including BEV SUV" under the heading of "new SUVs and Truck investments"... so

1. BEV SUV to be build in Flat Rock (we knew about already)

2. Small C SUV to replace C-Max and slot in between EcoSport and Escape

3. ???

• Like 1

People on the inside are excited about this plan... I'm mostly positive with the directive.

Ranger's inclusion with other commercial vehicles indicates either a change in the program's position or a stretch on the behalf of the communications shop...

I can see it having some fleet sales, but its success will lie with high end retail sails, IMO.

A lot of things I can agree with - order simplification one of them......Deanh has been calling for that for a long time.....but it seemed like drastic cuts there.

Are you hearing anything about Lincoln/thoughts on Lincoln? It barely being mentioned in the powerpoint is concerning.