2019 Ford Ranger Interior, Engine: Spied

pinion-guard-ford-ranger-px-3 ( Ranger with trapezoid grille)

Closeup side view of the Superior Stealth Pinion Guard bolted to the PX Ford Rangers

providing complete coverage to the differential

pinion-guard-ford-ranger-px-3-1024x683.j

Edited by jpd80

Word from the launch team guy in my area is some time in September.

So when does that put them in the dealerships? Decemberish?

pinion-guard-ford-ranger-px-3 ( Ranger with trapezoid grille)

Closeup side view of the Superior Stealth Pinion Guard bolted to the PX Ford Rangers

providing complete coverage to the differential

pinion-guard-ford-ranger-px-3-1024x683.j

If you notice, your photo shows a front loaded axle assembly, similar to the old 8 and 9 inch Fords from years ago. The photos I linked to show a totally different style axle assembly with a rear cover plate similar to the 8.8 inch Ford. Does the current ROW Ranger use one or the other or both, depending on drivetrain and are both types sourced from Dana?

I would guess yeah, they would start trickling into dealers by Christmas, and en mass by the end of January

Actual timeline of course will depend on how smooth things get off the ground and how they decide to solve manpower issues. By all accounts the company DESPERATELY wants to do everything on one shift but I just don't see how that's feasible, especially with the Bronco supposedly launching less than 12 months later.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

If you notice, your photo shows a front loaded axle assembly, similar to the old 8 and 9 inch Fords from years ago. The photos I linked to show a totally different style axle assembly with a rear cover plate similar to the 8.8 inch Ford. Does the current ROW Ranger use one or the other or both, depending on drivetrain and are both types sourced from Dana?

IIRC, somewhere in one of these threads someone said the ROW Ranger uses front-loaded diffs.

IMHO, it would make sense for Ford to use a rear axle based on the F150's in the US to keep its economy of scale, but we already know that Dana has contracts for the Bronco, at least...

That is really sad... they are going to take 4-5 months to redo the plant? There really isn't any urgency on Ford's part to get this out then.

4-6 weeks for the actual retooling then it's just a matter of getting everything up and running and doing the preproduction builds.

There's zero sense of urgency when it comes to anything to do with that plant. I was hoping that would change with the corporate restructure but I've yet to see any change at all.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

IIRC, somewhere in one of these threads someone said the ROW Ranger uses front-loaded diffs.

IMHO, it would make sense for Ford to use a rear axle based on the F150's in the US to keep its economy of scale, but we already know that Dana has contracts for the Bronco, at least...

Well, the photos I linked to came from an article on pickuptrucks.com dated Oct/11/17 which claims those pics were taken of a Ranger mule in Colorado. That is clearly not a front loaded diff....

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/10/2019-ford-ranger-suspension-spied.html

Personally, I would rather see Ford use the 8.8 in the US spec Ranger if for no other reason than parts availability and dealer service dept familiarity. The 8.8 is basically the same as the old GM 12 bolt. Certainly not as strong as a 9 inch Ford but plenty strong enough. Hell, the last GT500 used it and those things were putting out 631 lb ft of torque. I think it would work just fine behind a 2nd gen 2.7EB with it's measly 400 lb ft although in a truck payload capacity is far more important than an axle's ability to handle engine torque output.

4-6 weeks for the actual retooling then it's just a matter of getting everything up and running and doing the preproduction builds.

There's zero sense of urgency when it comes to anything to do with that plant. I was hoping that would change with the corporate restructure but I've yet to see any change at all.

That wold be 1 to 1 1/2 months for the rebuild and 3 - 4 months to get it up and doing pre-production? Something has to be off on that timeline.

Only the removable carrier type differential supplied by Dana

Edited by jpd80

I would guess yeah, they would start trickling into dealers by Christmas, and en mass by the end of January

Actual timeline of course will depend on how smooth things get off the ground and how they decide to solve manpower issues. By all accounts the company DESPERATELY wants to do everything on one shift but I just don't see how that's feasible, especially with the Bronco supposedly launching less than 12 months later.

This is pretty ridiculous that they weren't capable of getting these on the lots by mid year. They are already late to the party.

It's complicated by the need to move Focus production first.

Which is poor management. All the down weeks over the year, build and stockpile and changeover yesterday. Better yet, kill it with fire since they all have crap transmissions anyway and start retooling now.

Ford is screwing themselves front and back. They keep producing product that is costing them money and customers because of their incompetence and poor engineering, and delaying a product that will generate revenue.

Which is poor management. All the down weeks over the year, build and stockpile and changeover yesterday. Better yet, kill it with fire since they all have crap transmissions anyway and start retooling now.

Ford is screwing themselves front and back. They keep producing product that is costing them money and customers because of their incompetence and poor engineering, and delaying a product that will generate revenue.

Nobody knows the true opportunity cost of doing it this way (on here at least). I am going to bet there is a logistical reason as to why but I am not going to pretend to know. You can't un*uck all the things the Hair did in one fell swoop. Lots of moving parts, all pun intended.

Nobody knows the true opportunity cost of doing it this way (on here at least). I am going to bet there is a logistical reason as to why but I am not going to pretend to know. You can't un*uck all the things the Hair did in one fell swoop. Lots of moving parts, all pun intended.

You can, the problem is that no one in Dearborn has any balls to do it. Ford Employee mentality is back to just bare minimum, don't make waves, CYOA and F*** everything else outside my box. You also have a ton of people that have just checked out for the past 6 months as they were taking the buyout or are just waiting to see where the chips fall after the buyouts and where they can transfer too.

I would suspect that Job 1 will be Tuesday after labor day. That would be 4 months from shutdown, not super fast but a good time table.

The more I talk to people at Ford, read on here and other places. Ford in the short term is basically held together by glue sticks and pencils.

Ford Employee mentality is back to just bare minimum, don't make waves, CYOA and F*** everything else outside my box.

Yep.

You also have a ton of people that have just checked out for the past 6 months as they were taking the buyout or are just waiting to see where the chips fall after the buyouts and where they can transfer too.

Try since Mulally retired.

I would suspect that Job 1 will be Tuesday after labor day. That would be 4 months from shutdown, not super fast but a good time table.

Sounds reasonable. I was hearing middle of the month. Truth is probably somewhere in between.

The more I talk to people at Ford, read on here and other places. Ford in the short term is basically held together by glue sticks and pencils.

Try bubblegum, duct tape and a piece of used dental floss.

Ford in the short term is basically held together by glue sticks and pencils.

Ty-wraps.

Seriously.

I have a 14" 50lb test ty-wrap, about $.03 worth, keeping a multi-million dollar machine ruining because management either can't or won't get the part needed to fix it correctly. Failure of said ty-wrap workaround would shut down F-150 production at DTP and KCAP within days. This has been going on for months.

I am amazed at what I read on here. It seems Ford went from one of the tighter running ships in the automotive industry to a crapshow in record time.

...and it seems not many on here are impressed with the new head too.

Well, so far all he's announced are cuts to become more profitable.

I'm waiting to see what they reveal this show season before making a judgment.

More profit requires quality and consisency, don't do it twice. AIM for zero recalls, zero problems. complaints.

The 6.0 was in my opinion an example of this. Half the owners said this is the best truck I've ever owned, the other half this truck spends more time in the shop than it does on the road. Lack of consistent build quality?

Perfection may not be possible, but they can at least try to aim for it.

Edited by Ron W.

I am amazed at what I read on here. It seems Ford went from one of the tighter running ships in the automotive industry to a crapshow in record time.

...and it seems not many on here are impressed with the new head too.

It went from one extreme to another. My dad started working for Ford in the late 60's. He tells stories of equipment that was purchased and never installed. Sitting in a corner gathering dust until finally being scrapped out to just get rid of it.

A lot of waste back then.

Nowadays you are told not to order parts out of the crib until the next calendar month because the department went through its budget and the Manager doesn't want to have to explain the purchase. Production be damned.