2019 Ford Ranger Interior, Engine: Spied

The first-gen Sport Trac sold well, especially on its first three years. The second gen, even though it was light-years better, never sold well. Perhaps it was because Ford was nearly at its lowest at that time? The Fusion and Edge were beginning to dig Ford out of the hole.

Ford should have based the first gen off of the 2002 Explore from the very beginning.

The first-gen Sport Trac sold well, especially on its first three years. The second gen, even though it was light-years better, never sold well. Perhaps it was because Ford was nearly at its lowest at that time? The Fusion and Edge were beginning to dig Ford out of the hole.

Well I'm sure the Firestone debacle with the Explorer didn't help sales either

Ford should have based the first gen off of the 2002 Explore from the very beginning.

Remember what was going on when sales slowed up, you had Ford in trouble by 2006 and soaring fuel prices in 2007

followed by the collapse of many businesses in 2008. F Series sales were barely 30K a month - things were that bad.

Ford should have probably given BOF Explorer and Sport Trac one more product cycle and kept MTP as a Truck and SUV plant,

Funny how things come full circle...

In my alternate universe Ford Adopts Global RWD platform based of Falcon / Fairlane / Territory SUV

Ford basically keeps and improves its old line up using more RWD product and F 150 power trains.

Plants stay much as they are now but with Focus being built at Cuautitlan.

Edited by jpd80

Remember what was going on when sales slowed up, you had Ford in trouble by 2006 and soaring fuel prices in 2007

followed by the collapse of many businesses in 2008. F Series sales were barely 30K a month - things were that bad.

Ford should have probably given BOF Explorer and Sport Trac one more product cycle and kept MTP as a Truck and SUV plant,

Funny how things come full circle...

In my alternate universe Ford Adopts Global RWD platform based of Falcon / Fairlane / Territory SUV

Ford basically keeps and improves its old line up using more RWD product and F 150 power trains.

Plants stay much as they are now but with Focus being built at Cuautitlan.

If Explorer remained BOF, it would've meant the death of Taurus/MKS and Flex/MKT long ago. Not to mention no PI and PIU.

• Like 1

If Explorer remained BOF, it would've meant the death of Taurus/MKS and Flex/MKT long ago. Not to mention no PI and PIU.

Simple - they could have easily gotten another decade out of the panther. It just needed fresh engines and new sheet metal. Police and other fleets would have continued to gobble them up along with limited retail sales. Pretty much how Taurus sells now basically.

Simple - they could have easily gotten another decade out of the panther. It just needed fresh engines and new sheet metal. Police and other fleets would have continued to gobble them up along with limited retail sales. Pretty much how Taurus sells now basically.

No.

Haha. Truth of the matter is that sales probably would have been at least 90% of what Taurus is. Fleets buyers of large cars loved the panthers and only switched when Ford quit making them. Heck - many fleets stocked up on as many panthers as they could in 2011. As for non-luxury retail buyers, interior space is the biggest driver. I doubt many would have particularly cared if it rode on the panther or D4 platform. Just think, a panther with modern shape and 3.5n/a, 5.0, and even an SHO/interceptor version with the 3.5eb. No reason that would have sold any worse than the Taurus.

But obviously that's not the choice Ford made. Fun to think what could have been though.

The reason ranger died was that Ford NA optedout of T6 back in 2006 and by 2011, they were over selling Sub $20K pick ups.

In all of this we have to remember the real savings for Ford was cancelling whole platforms and replacing them with

existing continuing products. The recurring savings for that outweighed a lot of arguments to do more.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Panther never had any trouble with safety regs. It wouldn't have taken significantly more effort than D4 did.

You're ignoring something D4 has that the Panthers didn't have--the volume of Explorer to justify those costs.

Also, from what I was told at the time, it was the cost of updating Panther for the then-impending safety reg changes (I want to say that it was specifically the side-impact changes, but that was too long ago) that doomed it. It probably didn't help that Ford had just literally mortgaged the Blue Oval itself when the decision was made.

• Like 1

The answer is probably all of the above, Ford clearly was not prepared to leak too many F150 sales to Sport Trac

but I wonder how much that cost Ford, the two vehicles were different enough to attract buyers for different reasons.

IMO, it was the opposite. What should have been the 4 door Ranger was packaged as an Explorer to keep the SUV sales crown.

The problem was that Ford had ranger, explorer, and panther spread across three independent platforms and made at three separate plants. And none of them sold in enough volume to support their platform or plant.

The first big mistake was moving the explorer off the ranger platform in 2002. That was a seriously flawed move. The two vehicles were so similar there's no reason they couldn't have stayed on the same frame and suspension.

I've always thought it wouldn't have been too difficult to put together a bof panther replacement on the ranger/explorer platform. The three lines together would have supported 2 plants and continued investment in the platform.

• Like 1

The problem was that Ford had ranger, explorer, and panther spread across three independent platforms and made at three separate plants. And none of them sold in enough volume to support their platform or plant.

The first big mistake was moving the explorer off the ranger platform in 2002. That was a seriously flawed move. The two vehicles were so similar there's no reason they couldn't have stayed on the same frame and suspension.

I've always thought it wouldn't have been too difficult to put together a bof panther replacement on the ranger/explorer platform. The three lines together would have supported 2 plants and continued investment in the platform.

I agree except for the panther replacement. The market had already moved on from BOF cars.

"Can't meet safety regs" is the sort of tripe corporations offer when trying to defend an unpopular business decision. Getting the panther, D4, or any other model to meet safety regs from one year to the next is just an engineering problem that can be easily solved with a little time and material. I get it that Ford was mortgaged to the hilt, had too many factories, and had to be very selective about which product lines they were going to continue to invest in. But I doubt safely regs were more than a minute factor in the decision.

• Like 1

We just sold our last fleet panther..800bux...new owner was happy to get it...our explores have been ok..they do not get quite as stuck in the snow..maintenace is about the same as with the panthers...door skins peeled, awd clutch pack blew out on our 16....water pump failure hits about 50k miles.....compared to our charges the explorers are far less likely to be pulled....the charges are a very comfy ride but they seem to have a much higher failure rate.....best fleet we ever had was the lt1 caprices...i cried the day we had to turn those in

I'm saying the market doesn't particularly care of there's a frame underneath it or not. Do a good job on the finished product and it would sell either way.

Why do you think all mfrs went to unibody cars? Weight, stiffness, handling, nvh - no comparison.