The 2018 F-Series Super Duty Limited is Ford's first $100,000 pickup

A couple thoughts:

1. Making room for the 7.0L V8 perhaps? I imagine some of the buyers of these things would like a gasoline engine (for the lack of exhaust smell if nothing else). The 6.2L wouldn't cut it in a $100,000 truck but this new 7.0L might fit the bill.

2. When did Limited become the highest trim? That was true 15 years ago but I thought Platinum was the highest trim up till now?

I find a few things funny....

1) The title is that it's Ford's first $100,000 pickup.....then proceed to say in the article that it tops out at $95,000

2) That Ford had to run around test mules for a grille with two holes punched in the side bars and a different tailgate panel that says Limited instead of Platinum.

A couple thoughts:

1. Making room for the 7.0L V8 perhaps? I imagine some of the buyers of these things would like a gasoline engine (for the lack of exhaust smell if nothing else). The 6.2L wouldn't cut it in a $100,000 truck but this new 7.0L might fit the bill.

2. When did Limited become the highest trim? That was true 15 years ago but I thought Platinum was the highest trim up till now?

Limited has been the highest since 2007 or so when they introduced the Limited trim on F-150. Platinum was the top trim for a few years after 2009 when they didn't have a Limited trim, but now they have both, and Limited is at the top. I'm not sure the Super Duty has had the Limited trim until now, though.

I find a few things funny....

1) The title is that it's Ford's first $100,000 pickup.....then proceed to say in the article that it tops out at $95,000

Poetic license on the part of the headline writer.

The luxed-up truck starts at $82,130 for an F-250 4x4, while a fully loaded F-450 4x4 Limited dually rings up at $95,750. Add title, taxes and fees and you’re pretty much looking at a six-figure truck, and Ford’s priciest product next to the $450,000 GT supercar.

Edited by SoonerLS

A couple thoughts:

The diesel exhaust doesn't really smell anymore. The tail pipe is clean as a whistle and less smell than a gasser.

Limited has been the highest since 2007 or so when they introduced the Limited trim on F-150. Platinum was the top trim for a few years after 2009 when they didn't have a Limited trim, but now they have both, and Limited is at the top. I'm not sure the Super Duty has had the Limited trim until now, though.

Yep, first year for a Limited trim on the Super Duty.

The diesel exhaust doesn't really smell anymore. The tail pipe is clean as a whistle and less smell than a gasser.

There are definitely buyers who want gassers, but I'm pretty sure "stinky exhaust" is waaaay down the list of reasons. It might be for the "soccer mom" type of buyer, but even then I'd think fuel availability would be much higher on the list.

There are definitely buyers who want gassers, but I'm pretty sure "stinky exhaust" is waaaay down the list of reasons. It might be for the "soccer mom" type of buyer, but even then I'd think fuel availability would be much higher on the list.

Meh, even that isn't much of an issue anymore. A lot of places only have one diesel pump, which makes it a pain, but I've never had a concern about being able to find fuel, even with an RV in tow.

This will also hold its resale value more than any other car at that price range as well.

Super Duty trucks actually hold their resale very well.

Meh, even that isn't much of an issue anymore. A lot of places only have one diesel pump, which makes it a pain, but I've never had a concern about being able to find fuel, even with an RV in tow.

It's not so much about it being available as where you have to go to get it. If there's no diesel at the QT with the good ice and I have to go to WalMart with the plebes...

Agree to disagree on the smell. My brother has a '16 Duramax with all the latest emmisions tech and it smells the same as my '78 Ford 445 tractor. I think people who drive diesels regularly just get immune to it don't notice it. In any case, there are plenty of other reasons to want a gas engine in ones superduty.

Weird. My SD has no exhaust smell. My JD tractor on the other hand, has a very distinct diesel smell.

It's not so much about it being available as where you have to go to get it. If there's no diesel at the QT with the good ice and I have to go to WalMart with the plebes...

OK, you got me there. However, almost every station around here has it, but maybe that's just my area.

Ford needs to ride the wave on everything truck..i hope they understand though when the wave crashes it is going to be a hellish fall...right now i do not see ford doing anything to prepare for the downturn...fat pigs of f150 (and up) gluteny be damed in this case...still dam beautiful truck..id definetly take a well cared for used one

Would a Mark LT (using the Navigator's front/interior, not an F-150 rebadge) be that crazy of an idea?

Yes, it would....the funny thing is, that beast will pretty much match Lincoln in the luxury department, but when you put the Lincoln badge on it, people won't buy it since it isn't an F-Series anymore....plus, as a contractor, when you pull up in a Lincoln truck, they person that wants to hire you may think you are a snob, but pull in with a $100K F-450....no problem-o....

You mean Blackwood?

Sorry, HAD to go there :), after you mentioned Navi's front.

Blackwood's problem was that the bed was completely useless. Carpeted, small, covered, and with an odd tailgate.

Mark LT's problem (in my eyes) was that it was literally an F-150 with a Lincoln grille insert and tailgate badge, in other words, not worth the extra money just for the badge. Give it a Lincoln front and interior, and I think they'd sell ok.

Yes, it would....the funny thing is, that beast will pretty much match Lincoln in the luxury department, but when you put the Lincoln badge on it, people won't buy it since it isn't an F-Series anymore....plus, as a contractor, when you pull up in a Lincoln truck, they person that wants to hire you may think you are a snob, but pull in with a $100K F-450....no problem-o....

I can understand that part of it.

Mark LT was only created to give Lincoln dealers something to sell after they cancelled Continental and the LS. It was easy to do and served a brief purpose for the dealers.

Yup, and it was easy money for Lincoln when they desperately needed positive cashflow--let's not forget that Lincoln was on the chopping block with Mercury. They spent peanuts developing it, essentially doing nothing more than slapping Lincoln stars where the Blue Oval would be and giving it a longer warranty, so they were pretty much guaranteed a quick profit.

Edited by SoonerLS