Ford December 2017 Sales results

With the -21% loss in sales with the Fusion, well guess thats why all these rumors are going around

Interesting the Transit and Transit Connect also lost a decent amount of sales for year too. The TC has alot more competition, but not sure why the Transit lost 10%

With the -21% loss in sales with the Fusion, well guess thats why all these rumors are going around

Interesting the Transit and Transit Connect also lost a decent amount of sales for year too. The TC has alot more competition, but not sure why the Transit lost 10%

Well, buyers aren't enticed to buy a new one by a barely changed model.

I don't know what happened with Lincoln this year - last year they had pretty good growth, but have been spinning their wheels most of the year.....though I suppose most of the loss is on the sedan side (which isn't surprising), but still I expected better growth in 2017. Navigator will obviously help numbers for 2018, as long as the rest of the lineup doesn't slip. Nautilus should hopefully help numbers toward the end of the year as well (and we'll know how it's selling, as I'd imagine numbers for MKX and Nautilus will be listed separately when it arrives). MKC I'd imagine will stay about the same or grow slightly with the new front. They need a new MKZ, though.

Did they have much better deals last year for December though? I'm not sure why there's such a big drop from last year (I know numbers were quite high...+2K... compared to the rest of the year last year, but that's usually expected in December).

Fusion was already down 11% the previous year. Fusion is down 33% from 2014 while Accord is only down 17%. Camry I think is in the 20% ballpark as is the rest of the market.

The market is down but Fusion is down a lot more and lost a lot of market share because it hasn't been visually updated since 2013.

• Like 2

I don't know what happened with Lincoln this year - last year they had pretty good growth, but have been spinning their wheels most of the year.....though I suppose most of the loss is on the sedan side (which isn't surprising), but still I expected better growth in 2017. Navigator will obviously help numbers for 2018, as long as the rest of the lineup doesn't slip. Nautilus should hopefully help numbers toward the end of the year as well (and we'll know how it's selling, as I'd imagine numbers for MKX and Nautilus will be listed separately when it arrives). MKC I'd imagine will stay about the same or grow slightly with the new front. They need a new MKZ, though.

Did they have much better deals last year for December though? I'm not sure why there's such a big drop from last year (I know numbers were quite high...+2K... compared to the rest of the year last year, but that's usually expected in December).

They must have cut back on incentives. Conti and MKX were down a lot more in December than their YTD numbers. Or like you say last December was a blowout month.

Edited by akirby

They must have cut back on incentives. Conti and MKX were down a lot more in December than their YTD numbers. Or like you say last December was a blowout month.

Cadillac was down 23.6% for December too (Escalade -15%, ESV -24.6% and XT5 -7.4% all down), and down 8% for the year.

By treading water/staying flat, Lincoln inched 13,000 sales closer to Cadillac this year.....obviously not the way you want to close that gap, though, but could've been worse, I suppose.

Cadillac was down 23.6% for December too (Escalade -15%, ESV -24.6% and XT5 -7.4% all down), and down 8% for the year.

By treading water/staying flat, Lincoln inched 13,000 sales closer to Cadillac this year.....obviously not the way you want to close that gap, though, but could've been worse, I suppose.

Lincoln needs Aviator asap.

For a point of comparison, the Honda Accord is down 34.7 percent for the month of December, and 6.5 percent for the entire year. Whether the December figures were influenced by availability of the new model is a question (our local dealers didn't have too many of them), but posters on Temple of vtec.com are claiming that some versions of the 2018 Accord are already being discounted by over $3,000 to move them off the lots.

Toyota, meanwhile, is claiming that the Camry recently scored its "best-ever sales month" in December with 43,331 units sold. Toyota, unlike Honda, has not been shy about selling cars to rental car companies.

No doubt Ford management has been paying close attention to how these two all-new entries are faring in the market.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

For a point of comparison, the Honda Accord is down 34.7 percent for the month of December, and 6.5 percent for the entire year. Whether the December figures were influenced by availability of the new model is a question (our local dealers didn't have too many of them), but posters on Temple of vtec.com are claiming that some versions of the 2018 Accord are already being discounted by over $3,000 to move them off the lots.

Toyota, meanwhile, is claiming that the Camry recently scored its "best-ever sales month" in December with 43,331 units sold. Toyota, unlike Honda, has not been shy about selling cars to rental car companies.

No doubt Ford management has been paying close attention to how these two all-new entries are faring in the market.

I've seen 2 or 3 new Accords.

Seems like the whole market was having issues last month.

There was a stop sale for a good chunk of the year because of the driveshaft issue. Absolutely killed any momentum it had.

The company where my brother works uses a fleet of Ford vans (originally E-series, now Transit 350s). They have been using high-roof Transits, but are looking at using the low-roof version, and they had to buy a passenger version for their pilot project because the cargo version was impossible to get.

As I recall the ads I saw, while Chebbie was giving everybody employee pricing and Fiasco was dumping piles of cash on the hoods of their vehicles, Ford was only offering 0% financing. I don't recall seeing anything else from Ford or Lincoln.

• Like 1

Lincoln Ecosport? :p

I won't go that far :)

But definitely the new small C CUV needs a Lincoln version to slot in below MKC to compete with the likes of Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes GLA.

I would also make coupe version of MKC and Nautilus high on the priority list for next generation.

I won't go that far :)

But definitely the new small C CUV needs a Lincoln version to slot in below MKC to compete with the likes of Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes GLA.

I would also make coupe version of MKC and Nautilus high on the priority list for next generation.

With the way the MKC is packaged in size it is closer to the Q3/X1 than the GLC/Q5/X3. That is the Issue with Lincoln's SUV's they don't really lineup with the market, MKX is smaller than the GLE/X5, and the MKC feels way smaller on the inside than even the X1 or Q3 let alone a Q5/GLC/X3. MKX is even shorter than the two row RX and will be much shorter than the 3 row. I see this being fixed when the Aviator and MKC / Nautilus successors come out over the next couple years.

With the way the MKC is packaged in size it is closer to the Q3/X1 than the GLC/Q5/X3. That is the Issue with Lincoln's SUV's they don't really lineup with the market, MKX is smaller than the GLE/X5, and the MKC feels way smaller on the inside than even the X1 or Q3 let alone a Q5/GLC/X3. MKX is even shorter than the two row RX and will be much shorter than the 3 row. I see this being fixed when the Aviator and MKC / Nautilus successors come out over the next couple years.

MKC could certainly use a few more inches of rear legroom. It's quite possible it could take the split C-segment route too though - having a smaller "MKC" and an "MKD" sliding under a next-gen Nautilus and Aviator.

Lincoln Ecosport? :p

For all that is holy ford cant be that stupid..or can they??...sedans are doa everywhere.what stinks ftom an enthusiast stand point is sedans can run circles around suv's..but women have the perception they are not safe so sedans continue to rot on the lots

Edited by snooter

Keep in mind that Lincoln is only strong in three zones, California, Florida and New York

Given weather conditions, it's not surprising that Lincoln sales slipped quite a bit last month..

I am a little surprised about the overshadow of Lincoln criticism on here about last months sales

when no one bothers to acknowledge near 90K of F Series sales and close to 900K for the year.

and F Series going so close to outselling GM's 949K three trucks strategy...

ATP F150 was $44K, Super Duty - $55K and Combined F Series $47K

Or how about Ford's strong Utility sales last month

Escape......26,253

Edge .........13,660

Explorer.....25,375

PI Ute..........3,191

Expedition...5,458

New Expedition is strong, turning on lots around seven days

Following its initial sales in November, 2018 Expedition is off to a strong start, with new models to
retail customers turning in just 7 days, with our customers demanding a Platinum series mix of
almost 50 percent. Overall Expedition sales totaled 5,458 for the month, as 2018 stock levels are built

Also Lincoln Navigator....1,444

75% of Navigator being Reserve or Black label

Lincoln Navigator sales were up 30.1 percent last month. The start is very strong with new models to
retail customers turning in just 6 days. Customers are seeking out our two highest trim levels, with
over 75 percent or our sales mix comprised of Reserve and Black Label

Oh and how about Mustang, 7,714 flooring Camaro's 3,800 sales...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that Lincoln is only strong in three zones, California, Florida and New York

Given weather conditions, it's not surprising that Lincoln sales slipped quite a bit last month..

Lincoln is also very strong in Michigan

New Expedition is strong, turning on lots around ten days

Also Lincoln Navigator....1,444

75% of Navigator being Premier or Black label

They're turning on lots in under 10 days which is fantastic.

I am reading absolutely nothing into those numbers when the new models are BARELY on lots yet...

Oh and how about Mustang, 7,714 flooring Camaro's 3,800 sales...

But Alpha will be the savior ? Edited by fuzzymoomoo