2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

So basically they squeezed a few more ponies out of the 2.7L, added a bunch of tech that has nothing to do with a performance package like ST, put ridiculous 21" wheels on it (adds nothing to performance but makes tire replacement $$$$$!), and slapped an ST badge on the hatch?

Yawn.

Agreed. Plus something about an ST with no 3 pedal manual option bothers me

I guess the benefit here is that this puts them within spitting distance of the $50k mark for Edge.

Theyll hit 50k before the next gen comes out. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Why muddy the ST name then? Just keep it a sport.

The ST name has been already muddied-

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/st-line

The ST-line is nothing more then an appearance package in UK/EU

The Edge ST has 40 more HP and 30 ft-lb Torque over the current Sport and the suspension/brakes has been improved....I don't see any issue with this out side of it being a CUV, which some people make take issue with, but they are the current flavor of auto buying public.

The real question is this going to retail for over 50K or not..since the Sport is around $47K fully loaded.

• Like 1

Well, at least the Edge is so bland anymore.

I dont know man, it looks way more generic now.

After taking a better look at it on a screen larger then 5 inches...the new grill isn't bad. Part of the problem with the new Edge was the styling was strongly derivative of the old model it replaced (like the MKX)..but part of the problem with the new grill on the Edge is it finally caught up with the looks of the Escape refresh and a lesser degree, the Explorer, which kind of makes it look dated.

Edited by silvrsvt

The photos keep up the awful tradition of poor photos from Ford, showing off angles that only a person 24 inches tall would see. We look down or at the horizon when we see cars, we don't look up from the road. I don't get why they do that. It makes the car look ugly at times.

• Like 1

After taking a better look at it on a screen larger then 5 inches...the new grill isn't bad. Part of the problem with the new Edge was the styling was strongly derivative of the old model it replaced (like the MKX)..but part of the problem with the new grill on the Edge is it finally caught up with the looks of the Escape refresh and a lesser degree, the Explorer, which kind of makes it look dated.

They arguably didnt do anything to improve the look of it. The original Edge was the epitome of bland. The 2011 refresh made it look a lot better, like a refresh should IMO. This new refresh doesnt make this version any better. I thought the 2015 was really good looking. This refresh looks like a Chevy Traverse which I hate. A lot.

So basically they squeezed a few more ponies out of the 2.7L, added a bunch of tech that has nothing to do with a performance package like ST, put ridiculous 21" wheels on it (adds nothing to performance but makes tire replacement $$$$$!), and slapped an ST badge on the hatch?

Yawn.

I guess the benefit here is that this puts them within spitting distance of the $50k mark for Edge.

Last time I checked, decent/good performance tire was around $200 per tire.

The ST should go over 50K- the Sport tops out already around $47K

Seriously-40 more HP and 30 more Ft lb Torque is nothing to sneeze at. Optional upgraded suspension/brakes also.

Tires-

Yeah this thing just waters down the ST badge. It needed the 3.0L and an available (note I didn't say standard) 3-pedal transmission option to rightfully wear the ST badge.

The ST badge is already water down-

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/st-line

Asking for manual transmission in a product that never had is ridiculous.

I guess some people will never be happy.

And Ford will still sell a bunch of these.

I'm happy they are finally offering a more sporting package to a CUV

that sucks but not surprising since the 3.5 is being phased out. Is the 3.3 not capable of transverse applications?

Its not worth it...the 2L Ecoboost is 250 hp/275 Ftlbs

3.3L V6 is 290/265

I'm sure the MPGs from the 2L Ecoboost is much better, not to mention simplification of builds- you have just the Ecoboost I4 or the ST's 2.7L V6.

Youre right. I just feel like there should be a third base option.

These days it probably should be a hybrid or PHEV...especially for China

But then Europe gets the 2.0 Ecoblue diesel with 205 hp and 335 lb ft...they'll probably graduate to the 8-speed auto.

Edited by jpd80

I think this is fine for the ST which is really just a SVT tuned Sport. It leaves room for a Edge RS with the 3.0L and torque vectoring AWD should they choose to do one. In addition to the engine tuning, I'm sure the suspension tuning is far better than the current Sport and I suspect the transmission will perform better as well. Maybe the 2019 MKX gets the 3.0L.