2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

slvrsvt....10000 additional down even at 0 % for 60 months is $166.70 a month difference on a payment....where did you figure it only made $100 difference?....96 month loan? And depreciation varies by vehicle...Ford is getting stung by Fusions coming off 3 year leases right now and the 18 residuals reflect that....payments are approx. $100 a month higher on the same cars comparing from 3 years ago.

No Zero % financing offered on it at the time...it was financed at 6 years then I refinanced for 5 years with my insurance carrier at the time that had a better rate (2.5? FMC was 3.5 or so)...I have a 750 credit score, so it's not like I couldn't get it.

So what's the future hold for vehicle sales with so many each year, easy finance, lots of leased vehicles

year after year hitting the the used market, plenty of vehicles to choose from and even more leasing/financing.

It's a perpetuating industry where everyone benefits except the people being financed .. and even they think it's great

because they get a new vehicle every three years or so....

Edited by jpd80

That's why I bought new. All the used trucks that I was finding in the year range I wanted in the $15K ballpark were also in the 155K mile ballpark. It made more sense to buy a brand-new truck for only $7K more than a high-mileage used truck...

Exactly. I’ve been trying to find a decent cheap truck for a couple of years but all the decent ones are within $10K of a brand new loaded supercab XLT with more equipment and those have at least 75K miles and no warranty. It’s a no brainer for me.

Exactly. Ive been trying to find a decent cheap truck for a couple of years but all the decent ones are within $10K of a brand new loaded supercab XLT with more equipment and those have at least 75K miles and no warranty. Its a no brainer for me.

Makes you wonder if theres a bubble there thats going to burst one day.

I don't know where you're located at, but here in the salt belt 4 year old trucks struggle to bring 50% of original retail due to the fact that they're crusty underneath and half of them have perforation starting in a few spots. By the time they're 8 years old most are bonafide rust buckets.

I really don't know how someone signs up for $1000/month payments and then proceeds to go slosh around in the salty mess we call roads this time of year.

I'm in New Hampshire so I'm in the salt belt. I also plow with my truck on the side. Won't get overly personal but plowing pays for about 50% of my truck payment each year. I don't count on that to cover the payment but it does cover it so it isn't difficult for me. Regardless , my truck will be 4 years old in April and when washed, you would never tell.

I sold my 07 with blown head gaskets with almost 130k on the clock for $19,000 back in 2014. The 6.7s hold their value so much better. I see it almost every day on the powerstroke forums on used vs new.

For me, I went with my CU for the financing so I could get both (best rebates and lowest financing). I would never give up the rebates for Ford financing when you can get really good rates through your local CU.

On the Edge, I like the looks of the ST but when I showed my wife and discussed what I thought the price would be, she'd rather get a 19MKC or possible 19 Nautilus for just a little more.

• Like 1

So what's the future hold for vehicle sales with so many each year, easy finance, lots of leased vehicles

year after year hitting the the used market, plenty of vehicles to choose from and even more leasing/financing.

It's a perpetuating industry where everyone benefits except the people being financed .. and even they think it's great

because they get a new vehicle every three years or so....

Makes you wonder if theres a bubble there thats going to burst one day.

Good question, do remember we had cash for clunkers and then an economic downturn that more or less lasted the past 10 years or so without a major recovery till recently, both cutting down on supply.

Then again I'm not really sure what to base car sale pricing on-Houses have lost value and haven't quite come back to their over inflated values, electronic items get cheaper and everything else is so variable...

---

Why'd they have to go release this now? Now I'm torn, as I've been waiting for a Bronco (and had been contemplating a Mustang as well), but now I really like how this thing looks hahaha.

Sounds like me. I thought I was down to F-150 or Continental, but now have Expedition,MKX/Nautilus and Edge ST on the list.

I do. Sports are everywhere around here.

I don't think it'll be 60K.

Edge tops out now at I think 48K, so I could see it being 51-52K tops.

Remember, it's replacing the Sport trim, I don't think they'll price this too high, otherwise they risk losing those buyers.

Some articles and videos I've seen claim around $40K starting. That seems a bit low to me, but if they get near $50K, why not buy an Explorer Sport or Platinum for a little more and have more room and power?

Edited by MKX1960

Some articles and videos I've seen claim around $40K starting. That seems a bit low to me, but if they get near $50K, why not buy an Explorer Sport or Platinum for a little more and have more room and power?

Depends on what you need - if you need more size, go for Explorer, if you want a newer vehicle, get the Edge. Remember, despite the 2018 "refresh" (which did improve my complaints with it) for Explorer, and the refresh before that, it still dates back to 2011.

I don't think the ST will be anymore than the current Sport with the Safe and Smart Package which is standard for 2019. That would be a base price of ~$42K. That also won't include the incentives that they will also put on it. The current Edge Sport shows 4K in rebates.

Edited by jasonj80

Could be HP rating with 87 octane vs. 92 also.

But the Edge is no slouch. New for 2015, Ford’s two-row offering doesn’t occupy the same rarefied air as the MKX – think more Jeep Grand Cherokee than Audi Q5. The base SE model starts a shade under $30K, but in range-topping Sport trim, the entrance fee is just over $40,000. For that price, you get the same 2.7 liter V6 in the MKX, but it’s been detuned by 20 horsepower and 30 pound-feet. That said, it’s a little lighter (4,400 versus 4,600 pounds), and a little quicker (5.6 seconds from zero to 60 versus 6.0) than the Lincoln.

• 2 weeks later...

Random, but does anybody know if the high beams are now part of the projector?

I have an Edge as a loaner while my car is getting repaired, and it has projector low beams (halogen, not HID), and the high beams are a separate regular (non projector) halogen light, and it looks terrible. I know higher trims (like Sport) have the same setup, but HID projectors. I'm hopeful the 2019 solves that, but I can't tell from pictures. It looks like theres a spot for a halogen light of some sort on the inside of the projectors, but I can't tell if that's for a turn signal or a high beam.

Ford-Edge_ST-2019-hd.jpg

Here's a link to an even higher res one too.

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2019-edge_st/1600x1200/wallpaper_01.htm

Edited by rmc523

I have an Edge as a loaner while my car is getting repaired, and it has projector low beams (halogen, not HID), and the high beams are a separate regular (non projector) halogen light, and it looks terrible. I know higher trims (like Sport) have the same setup, but HID projectors. I'm hopeful the 2019 solves that, but I can't tell from pictures. It looks like theres a spot for a halogen light of some sort on the inside of the projectors, but I can't tell if that's for a turn signal or a high beam.

Ford-Edge_ST-2019-hd.jpg

Go over to the fordedgeforum.com and PM Nick Halstead. He’s the Edge headlamp expert.

Ford-Edge_ST-2019-hd.jpg

All 2019 Edge have LED headlights standard.

High and low beams though?

Yes, https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2019/edge/Titanium/New-Edge-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Sucks our headlight laws are what they are Edge's in EU and China have optional Dynamic LED's optional now, they are the same system on BMW, Audi and MB (they cant activate the dynamic part here either), though you can reprogram to work this way. The Current MKX LED headlights also do this in China, I haven't see anyone activate them here but it also might be possible.

Here is the X5 BMW with the dynamic headlights as well as the dynamic spotlight -

Ford had showed prototypes with this system on the Mondeo and Edge (It is actually made by Autoliv) but didn't make production.

The nightvision system should be included on the next Explorer PI, it would be an amazing system for officers as you can easily see thing in the dark. (and allow them to use it with the headlights off) Ford should have also put the old Lincoln IC in the Edge now that the Nautilus has gone to the new one high resolution digital one.

Edited by jasonj80