2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

My 2013 Explorer Sport currently has 83K miles on it, and the engine has been flawless. I have had to replace the electronic shifter (wouldn't read park, and is a known issue with those years) battery and maintenance, and that is all. It is still a blast to drive, and short of the transmission, I love pretty much everything about it. The 6-speed has never been fabulous, and I have noticed as it has aged it is more mediocre than it was. But still, no issues. Even the interior and all of the electronics have worked great.

If you wanted to go the tuned route, it makes a huge difference in the transmission-I've drove nothing but manuals prior to my SHO and I've had it tuned since 7-8K and have about 76K on it now. I don't miss not having an manual transmission (but I do kinda miss my Mustang I had). The 6F50 shifts alot better with a tune vs not having one.

My wifes 2017 Escape with the 6F35 shifts pretty decently stock-was slightly suprised at how good it was. But then again I don't think they anyone tuning them anyways :)

Speaking of automatics, my Focus has been in the shop since last Friday for a new clutch (that's now 3 business days) where they originally said it may be done the same day. Have not heard from them since. (the dealership experience is going to be the one thing that is going to make me look elsewhere eventually)

I have not followed up with them because I'm enjoying the 2018 Fusion they gave me as a loaner. They can keep it as long as they want, I'm enjoying their car! :-) .

• Like 3

Speaking of automatics, my Focus has been in the shop since last Friday for a new clutch (that's now 3 business days) where they originally said it may be done the same day. Have not heard from them since. (the dealership experience is going to be the one thing that is going to make me look elsewhere eventually)

I have not followed up with them because I'm enjoying the 2018 Fusion they gave me as a loaner. They can keep it as long as they want, I'm enjoying their car! :-) .

Once it's fixed I would probably unload that sucker pretty fast.

Edited by Assimilator

Once it's fixed I would probably unload that sucker pretty fast.

The depreciation on Mk3 Foci is so bad it would cost me less to keep it up until the 100k warranty is up rather than try and sell it or trade it in. However, that being said, if I got a decent offer I'd probably get rid of it for something else. I was going to trade it in on a Focus Electric last year, but I got too anxious about the limited range and talked myself out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of Jeep/FCA I don't think anyone is doing a non luxury performance crossover. And I bet this will outhandle the JGC SRT which also costs $20K more than the Edge ST and is probably only slightly faster in a straight line.

Edited by akirby

Outside of Jeep/FCA I don't think anyone is doing a non luxury performance crossover. And I bet this will outhandle the JGC SRT which also costs $20K more than the Edge ST and is probably only slightly faster in a straight line.

Well, I wonder if Lincoln could get away with doing this with Nautilus. Similar to a drivers package for MKZ. Replace the CCD suspension with magride out of the Mustang to have ultimate ride/handling combo and the bigger brakes. Not sure if this would be money well spent or not. It's a nice thought though.

• Like 1

I'll give it the handling edge, but its going to get stomped in 0-60 and 1/4 times...the current sport is about a second or more slower in each one. A extra 20 HP and the 8 speed isn't going to cover that gap.

The new Explorer ST or Sport wil match better.

Well, I wonder if Lincoln could get away with doing this with Nautilus. Similar to a drivers package for MKZ. Replace the CCD suspension with magride out of the Mustang to have ultimate ride/handling combo and the bigger brakes. Not sure if this would be money well spent or not. It's a nice thought though.

I thought the mustang suspension was the same as the CCD suspension in the Fusion sport and Lincoln models.

What Lincoln should have is the 2.3L standard and 3.0L optional but I'm guessing that would have complicated assembly too much at this stage in the lifecycle.

• Like 1

I'll give it the handling edge, but its going to get stomped in 0-60 and 1/4 times...the current sport is about a second or more slower in each one. A extra 20 HP and the 8 speed isn't going to cover that gap.

The new Explorer ST or Sport wil match better.

Only if they use the 3.5LEB.

Edge ST might be a tad slower in a straight line but again it should handle a lot better and it's $20K cheaper.

I thought the mustang suspension was the same as the CCD suspension in the Fusion sport and Lincoln models.

What Lincoln should have is the 2.3L standard and 3.0L optional but I'm guessing that would have complicated assembly too much at this stage in the lifecycle.

Magnaride is what the Mustang has. I believe by using electrical current, it actively controls how stiff it is. How ever CCD which Lincoln uses (and Fusion sport) is a computer controlled regular damper that adjusts on the fly to road conditions. There are different settings for each. I am assume for both the settings set the range that it operates in. From what I have read the magnaride is more sophisticated (and expensive). I could see the Lincoln using magnaride if they decided to make a truly sporty model. From what I've read, it really smoothes out the ride for a relatively stiff suspension.

Could someone in the know please explain how the 19 Edge AWD differs from what was used in the past? Does it truly disconnect and will the mileage penalty for AWD be decreased? We have a 13 Edge FWD and have stayed away from AWD because of the cost and mileage penalty. We have a 4X4 F150 for the bad times.

Could someone in the know please explain how the 19 Edge AWD differs from what was used in the past? Does it truly disconnect and will the mileage penalty for AWD be decreased? We have a 13 Edge FWD and have stayed away from AWD because of the cost and mileage penalty. We have a 4X4 F150 for the bad times.

Edge has never had full time AWD. The rear axle only engages when additional traction is needed.

Ford originally licensed Haldex AWD system from BorgWarner to use on D3, CD3, C1, and EUCD vehicles. When second gen C1, D4 and CD4 came out, Ford reverse engineered the Haldex system in-house and stopped licensing Haldex. But it is still basically the same system where rear wheels only engage when the computer detects front wheel slip.

Watch this Ford video: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/safety/driver-assist-technology/driving/how-does-Intelligent-awd-4wd-work.html

It even tells you exactly that under normal driving conditions, Ford's AWD system sends 100% of the power to the front wheels - relevant part starts at 0:35 of the video.

Edited by bzcat

Edge has never had full time AWD. The rear axle only engages when additional traction is needed.

Ford originally licensed Haldex AWD system from BorgWarner to use on D3, CD3, C1, and EUCD vehicles. When second gen C1, D4 and CD4 came out, Ford reverse engineered the Haldex system in-house and stopped licensing Haldex. But it is still basically the same system where rear wheels only engage when the computer detects front wheel slip.

Watch this Ford video: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/safety/driver-assist-technology/driving/how-does-Intelligent-awd-4wd-work.html

It even tells you exactly that under normal driving conditions, Ford's AWD system sends 100% of the power to the front wheels - relevant part starts at 0:35 of the video.

That wasn't the question. They're advertising the 2019 models as having AWD disconnect which previous models did not.

That wasn't the question. They're advertising the 2019 models as having AWD disconnect which previous models did not

This intrigues me. Being able to toggle off/on AWD sounds kinda cool. However on a AWD drive car like mine, the rear shouldn't engage unless there is slippage. If that were to happen, I think I would want the AWD on, not off.

This intrigues me. Being able to toggle off/on AWD sounds kinda cool. However on a AWD drive car like mine, the rear shouldn't engage unless there is slippage. If that were to happen, I think I would want the AWD on, not off.

It still operates the same way. Ford is saying that when there is no power required at the rear wheels they are disconnecting the AWD for better fuel efficiency. It will re-engage immediately if needed. It's just making the existing system a bit more fuel efficient.

It still operates the same way. Ford is saying that when there is no power required at the rear wheels they are disconnecting the AWD for better fuel efficiency. It will re-engage immediately if needed. It's just making the existing system a bit more fuel efficient.

I need a diagram to understand how this works. It seems how you described it would decrease responsiveness in rear being engaged. Interesting new feature though and look forward to finding out more.

I need a diagram to understand how this works. It seems how you described it would decrease responsiveness in rear being engaged. Interesting new feature though and look forward to finding out more.

Nobody can find any information on it yet. Just a blurb in the press release that says it now disconnects the rear when only FWD is required. Perhaps the PTU has a gear that can engage or disengage the rear drive shaft.

Aha! That's exactly what it does. I should have googled it first.

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/aam-to-supply-awd-ptus-for-global-ford-crossovers/

So it has to engage a non-spinning shaft to the spinning part instantly to re-engage in order to send power to the rear wheels when necessary?

I get the concept, but that sounds crazy - how does it line up properly every time?