2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

This intrigues me. Being able to toggle off/on AWD sounds kinda cool. However on a AWD drive car like mine, the rear shouldn't engage unless there is slippage. If that were to happen, I think I would want the AWD on, not off.

2019 RAV4 is going to have the same thing. Must be getting popular.

So it has to engage a non-spinning shaft to the spinning part instantly to re-engage in order to send power to the rear wheels when necessary?

I get the concept, but that sounds crazy - how does it line up properly every time?

The tailshaft keeps spinning like a RWD unit because the clutch is no longer in the diff....

Edited by jpd80

Thanks for the info, everyone. I really appreciate the update. This is how I imagined the disconnect to work so it all makes sense. Economy should increase a bit and hopefully durability will be as good or better than what Ford currently has. With a 4x4 F150 I'm still trying to justify AWD when we order our 19 Edge. We've always gotten along fine with our FWD 13 Edge. I'm thinking there are many that pay for AWD that really don't need it but I know it is great insurance for the few times some really do need it.

Aha! That's exactly what it does. I should have googled it first.

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/aam-to-supply-awd-ptus-for-global-ford-crossovers/

This press release does not say which system Ford id buying from AAM, but their Vectrac system (designed for FWD vehicles) has a clutch in the read differential and electronic limited slip for left to right rear wheel torque vectoring.

I will be curious to see that Ford uses in the new (primarily RWD) Explorer.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

Good question, do remember we had cash for clunkers and then an economic downturn that more or less lasted the past 10 years or so without a major recovery till recently, both cutting down on supply.

Then again I'm not really sure what to base car sale pricing on-Houses have lost value and haven't quite come back to their over inflated values, electronic items get cheaper and everything else is so variable...

Your housing prices havent recovered? On the west coast we are about 35-45% higher in price than they were before the bubble burst. Rent is even worse.

It does amaze me to see a 95 F-350 powerstroke for sale for $15-20k regularly. Who the heck buys that?

Your housing prices havent recovered? On the west coast we are about 35-45% higher in price than they were before the bubble burst. Rent is even worse.

Depends-My condo is a shits how value wise-its worth less then what I paid for it 2003 and I think the price is only like 10-20K more then what it was brand new in late 1980s when it was built

My new house I bought the next town over (I was living in MD for a few years-broken even on that house) has gone up a decent amount-but that is Zillow reporting and not the actual market

I will say for most of FL (unless your in the backwoods of some hillbilly swamp town), have recovered...being in Orlando it's still going up because there isn't enough housing considering how many are moving to the area. And in S.FL where I'm originally from it's already past the "high point" pre- housing collapse. And with my rentals I'm experiencing about a 200-300 increase in just one year, except I don't really raise rents one someone goes in.

This press release does not say which system Ford id buying from AAM, but their Vectrac system (designed for FWD vehicles) has a clutch in the read differential and electronic limited slip for left to right rear wheel torque vectoring.

I will be curious to see that Ford uses in the new (primarily RWD) Explorer.

As I understand the article, the prop shaft is disengaged and stops turning.

For that to happen, the drive would need clutch packs at the PTU and rear differential otherwise the prop shaft would keep turning because of drive force from the gearbox or rear wheels

Edited by jpd80

According to the article it disconnects both the PTU and the RDU so that’s correct.

Of course, I didn't read far enough into the article.

But they also go onto say...

The system disconnects at the power transfer unit (PTU) and the rear drive module (RDM) allowing large portions of the driveline to stop rotating while in front-wheel drive mode, including both the PTU and RDM hypoid gear sets, the bearings associated with the gear sets, and the driveshaft.

That's a major breakthrough, stopping the Rear Drive Module hypoid gear sets and bearings is fantastic.

Edited by jpd80