2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

The ST badge is already water down-

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/st-line

Asking for manual transmission in a product that never had is ridiculous.

I guess some people will never be happy.

And Ford will still sell a bunch of these.

I'm happy they are finally offering a more sporting package to a CUV

Maybe elsewhere but not in the US. Never expected a manual. I just hope it has more handling chops than a Fusion sport. Which left a lot on the table. Hopefully its more focused for handling than comfort.

Very few if any would track such a heavy beast but you should be flog it in the twisties and enjoy it.

Last time I checked, decent/good performance tire was around $200 per tire.

The ST should go over 50K- the Sport tops out already around $47K

Seriously-40 more HP and 30 more Ft lb Torque is nothing to sneeze at. Optional upgraded suspension/brakes also.

Tires-

Where is this fuzzy math coming from? 315 to 335 HP and 350 to 380 torque. That is 20hp and 30 torque jump. Its an ok bump. Well see how it performs with the new trans. If it hits 60 in 5 seconds, that will be satisfactory in my book.

I am so confused by Ford right now. An Edge ST? I am assuming this will replace the Sport model? If this is an appearance package with a few extra horses I will be really pissed. This thing better be able to handle like a BMW for that ST badge! If it isn't anything special Ford just went 2000's GM when they started slapping SS on just about everything.

All this happening while Ford Performance may lose $$$ and cars. If they axe the GT500 and bring a watered down version of the Edge ST, I am officially done with Ford until they can find their way again. If you just want to maximize revenue and lose your soul trying to be a mix of Toyota and Tesla, go for it. I don't buy a car as an appliance.

It slots above the Sport badge.

The new grill treatment is meh. Its not ugly, but its not handsome either.

I personally like it a lot. I never really liked the 2015 redesign and think this improves it a lot. I did like the rear full width lightbar, but never understood why they put that on Edge (upper trim models), when it's a Lincoln design cue. The only thing I'm not the biggest fan of is the more vertical exhaust, but just about everything else, I like.

They arguably didnt do anything to improve the look of it. The original Edge was the epitome of bland. The 2011 refresh made it look a lot better, like a refresh should IMO. This new refresh doesnt make this version any better. I thought the 2015 was really good looking. This refresh looks like a Chevy Traverse which I hate. A lot.

I disagree, I think it looks great, and I don't see Traverse at all.

I disagree with you on the 3.0. That needs to stay a Lincoln only engine. Everything else I agree 100%

Agree. I'm still very surprised Nautilus didn't get it. Are they capacity constrained or something?

Like the grill.

Miss the light bar on the tailgate.

Will not buy a rotary gearshift.

My 2015 Edge may be my last Ford.

Agree on your first two. But really? You're not going to buy another Ford because of a rotary dial shifter?

I think this is fine for the ST which is really just a SVT tuned Sport. It leaves room for a Edge RS with the 3.0L and torque vectoring AWD should they choose to do one. In addition to the engine tuning, I'm sure the suspension tuning is far better than the current Sport and I suspect the transmission will perform better as well. Maybe the 2019 MKX gets the 3.0L.

As I said above, I'm still really surprised that Nautilus didn't get the 3.0, unless they plan on announcing that closer to launch or something.

---

Why'd they have to go release this now? Now I'm torn, as I've been waiting for a Bronco (and had been contemplating a Mustang as well), but now I really like how this thing looks hahaha.

On a broader note regarding Ford at NAIAS.

Releasing this now either means they're repeating last year's disaster and launching their big news before hand and won't have much there....

OR

That they have a lot more to debut that they want to get this "out of the way" beforehand.

We know there will be the Bullitt Mustang.

Ranger pretty much a given as well.

Would we see GT500 here too?

Any surprises?

On a broader note regarding Ford at NAIAS.

Releasing this now either means they're repeating last year's disaster and launching their big news before hand and won't have much there....

damn, now Im nervous

OR

That they have a lot more to debut that they want to get this "out of the way" beforehand.

I hope so....

We know there will be the Bullitt Mustang.

Ranger pretty much a given as well.

Would we see GT500 here too?

Any surprises?

Transit or Transit Connect? Edited by fuzzymoomoo

damn, now Im nervous

I hope so....

Transit or Transit Connect?

Yeah, I hate to be Debbie Downer, but this move is reminiscent of last year......remember they had Mustang and Expedition to also debut that we thought would both be at NAIAS for a "super show", and we know how that went....

I too am hoping for the actual big show too.

I forgot about Transit/TC refreshes.

This really is just a refresh with only a slight upgrade to the Sport. So it probably makes sense to get it out of the way before the show. It also gives them the floor for a day with no other significant auto news being released.

Define slight upgrade. HP/TQ numbers are one thing but I want to know if they improved the steering, suspension, and braking. If they didn't improve those things I will be extremely disappointed. All signs point to Hackett killing the true performance vehicles and giving us half baked "sporty" options that do nothing more than add bloat to MSRP.

Also, I am wondering how the base 4 cylinder added another 5hp, Just a tune difference or did they actually change something else? 250 is decent but it seems like their is no middle ground now. I am actually interested in seeing how the 8 speed works with the 2.0 in performance and FE.

Where is this fuzzy math coming from? 315 to 335 HP and 350 to 380 torque. That is 20hp and 30 torque jump. Its an ok bump. Well see how it performs with the new trans. If it hits 60 in 5 seconds, that will be satisfactory in my book.

I thought I saw 350HP, not 335..must have gotten the old Torque numbers mixed up.

Define slight upgrade. HP/TQ numbers are one thing but I want to know if they improved the steering, suspension, and braking. If they didn't improve those things I will be extremely disappointed. All signs point to Hackett killing the true performance vehicles and giving us half baked "sporty" options that do nothing more than add bloat to MSRP..

The ST has an available performance brake package and tuned suspension[\quote]

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2018/01/11/new-ford-edge/109343260/

The ST has an available performance brake package and tuned suspension[\quote]

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2018/01/11/new-ford-edge/109343260/

While I like that, I think it should be standard. It just has the feeling of GM slapping SS on everything for the 2000's. Now the Cobalt SS wasn't a joke originally, it then became a appearance package that could be had with performance upgrades or not. Next thing you knew, there was a impala ss and trailblazer ss (I think there was more) which were mostly half baked in the performance department.

I will save my judgement till i start seeing some reviews and get my own seat time. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Edited by jcartwright99

By “slight” I meant that they didn’t use a new engine or the CCD suspension or the torque vectoring AWD. They just tuned the existing stuff with the exception of the brake package. I have no doubt it will perform and handle much better than the current Sport.

While I like that, I think it should be standard. It just has the feeling of GM slapping SS on everything for the 2000's. Now the Cobalt SS wasn't a joke originally, it then became a appearance package that could be had with performance upgrades or not. Next thing you knew, there was a impala ss and trailblazer ss (I think there was more) which were mostly half baked in the performance department.

Agreed. Makes you wonder why they didn't just slap a 'Sport' badge on it and call it a day.

By “slight” I meant that they didn’t use a new engine or the CCD suspension or the torque vectoring AWD. They just tuned the existing stuff with the exception of the brake package. I have no doubt it will perform and handle much better than the current Sport.

I can handle that. I think the CCD suspension is a bit overrated because while it adds adjustability,it adds a decent amount of weight too. Having a good set of regular dampers (ala Bilstein) that are really dialed in with the suspension can really hold it's own without the added weight and complexity. I have driven regular MKZ, MKZ with Drivers package, and Fusion Sport. TV AWD would have been nice but I am sure the extra cost stopped that talk.

I have faith in FP, as so far they haven't had too many duds (RS Headgasket issue and GT350 overheating issues). Like I said earlier, I will have my fingers crossed and reserve judgement before giving a thumbs up or down.

This really is just a refresh with only a slight upgrade to the Sport. So it probably makes sense to get it out of the way before the show. It also gives them the floor for a day with no other significant auto news being released.

Yeah, let's just hope they have a lot to reveal at the show.

Agreed. Makes you wonder why they didn't just slap a 'Sport' badge on it and call it a day.

Because they can charge more for this than the Sport, and the Sport remains an upgrade over Titanium, etc.

Just allows them to add more at the top of the lineup.