16 Battery Electrics coming by 2022

This is probably the best argument yet for a plug in hybrid over a full BEV. Although even in a hurricane most places get power within a week and during that time there isn’t much need to go anywhere anyway.

Yeah, often after a hurricane, you're busy cleaning up your own yard/damage before venturing out. The only reason you'd go out is to explore (which isn't always safe, depending on the severity of the storm), or if you didn't have food, hoping to find an open restaurant......or of course if you're just tired of being cooped up in the house lol.

We had someone here at work without power for 2 weeks after Irma, but yes, in general, most people have power back within a week or so.....though again, that also depends on the severity of the storm, damage, etc.

My thought would be the evacuation. You can get gas during an evacuation.

Good point, but I've seen those tremendously long lines at gas stations during an evacuation (on the news of course since I've never been in a hurricane here in MO).

Solution: mount a generator to the trunk and charge the car while you drive! :clapping:

Edited by fordmantpw

Don't folks often have trouble getting gas after a hurricane as well?

Yup, usually because either the station doesn't have gas (from people getting it before the storm), or.....get this.....they don't have electricity to run the pumps.

Good point, but I've seen those tremendously long lines at gas stations during an evacuation (on the news of course since I've never been in a hurricane here in MO).

Solution: mount a generator to the trunk and charge the car while you drive! :clapping:

Yes, the long lines before the storm are because everyone is trying to fill up at once, so that they have enough gas for after when stations are closed. This causes stations to run out of gas, which makes lines worse at the stations that do have gas. I remember seeing lines 50 cars long before Irma. I was able to find a station with only about 10 cars in line, and still had to wait a good 45 minutes to get gas.

• Like 1

Yup, usually because either the station doesn't have gas (from people getting it before the storm), or.....get this.....they don't have electricity to run the pumps.

Yes, the long lines before the storm are because everyone is trying to fill up at once, so that they have enough gas for after when stations are closed. This causes stations to run out of gas, which makes lines worse at the stations that do have gas. I remember seeing lines 50 cars long before Irma. I was able to find a station with only about 10 cars in line, and still had to wait a good 45 minutes to get gas.

It doesn't take a hurricane to lose power, for instance 2 days before Halloween this year I lost power for 2.5 days. Work 50 miles to North never lost power and expected me there. Range of my F350 is about 400 miles, filled up before storm (had no issue waiting in any long lines or such). If I had an electric car I would have had to find alternate means to charge car.

There are plenty of winter storms where towns/areas lose power for days but the roads are safe to drive and just to get food you may have to go few towns over where they have power. Not every outage is a huge natural disaster that means you can't/ are not expected to go to work or safely travel about.

.....mention of CD and CD6 being developed with BEVs in mind makes me wonder what exactly is the status of the so called "Model E" platform....theres been NOTHING even remotely hinted at that Ive read...

In Farley's presentation to Deutsche Bank on January 16, he explicitly mentioned "dedicated BEV platforms" and "16 BEV vehicles". That is as direct as possible.

In Farley's presentation to Deutsche Bank on January 16, he explicitly mentioned "dedicated BEV platforms" and "16 BEV vehicles". That is as direct as possible.

I posted this before in other threads and this is entirely my speculation but I believe there are three core parts of Ford's electrification plans:

1. Dedicated BEV platform for anything smaller than Fusion for high wage/matured markets - so basically any BEV in the compact to midsize size range will be using this platform and not the conventional C# platform which will continue primarily with gasoline and diesel power. Call it Model E or whatever... but it will have multiple motors with option of driving front or rear axle, or both; and with many different "tophat" and sizes that will give Ford a suite of BEV CUV, self-driving vans, and maybe even a sedan or two. Expect ~200 mile range on the low end and perhaps 300 miles on the high end.

2. On larger unibody vehicles like Explorer or Edge, Ford will focus primarily on PHEV. So CD6 is probably engineered with the PHEV application in mind. One of the main reason I think CD6 will have longitude engine layout (not saying it will be exclusively RWD) is because all the hybrid and PHEV drive components on large CUVs can be shared with RWD vehicles like F-150, Mustang, and Transit.

3. In low wage/developing markets, Ford will eschew expensive long range BEV or PHEV and focus on low range BEV. These will have about 100 miles range and will largely be based on existing C# platforms adopted for BEV use. It will probably have single motor to keep cost low and you will see them in places like China and South America. Basically visualize the current Focus EV but with usable trunk and cheaper and more accessible.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

BZ, I think you're right on the money on #1 and #2, I'm not certain on #3 but will roll with your thinking. I'm fairly certain based on published statements from Ford brass like the one I quoted that Ford will offer BEV vehicles with a dedicated BEV platform, and there will be PHEV (i.e. PIH) as well as hybrid vehicles on CD6. There's nothing really earth shaking about this (especially the PIH and hybrid vehicles) because basically every manufacturer globally is using the same product approach to address forthcoming regulations in the early 20's.

And nobody is suggesting that the only vehicles you own are BEVs either. One could be a hybrid. Problem solved.

So just buy a spare F series when you get a foot or two of snow and power goes out? Doesn't make much economic sense. Maybe if you live in a urban area I could see owning a electric but for rural suburbia I don't think they will ever work or for that fact anyone that commutes a decent distance.

So just buy a spare F series when you get a foot or two of snow and power goes out? Doesn't make much economic sense. Maybe if you live in a urban area I could see owning a electric but for rural suburbia I don't think they will ever work or for that fact anyone that commutes a decent distance.

i don't know about you but losing power for more then 24 hours is fairly rare circumstance and if its out longer then that, its going to impact pretty much everyone

As for snow-isn't that what people do now?\\