Can the Ford Ranger crash Chevy's small truck party?

Per Wikipedia, it says the current t6 ranger has a weight of 4114 to 4339 lbs. doesnt say what engine was used in those numbers though and I have no idea what ROW ranger has any aluminum or not, but that should at least give you an idea of what we should expect.

That's as heavy as a new RWD F150 Regular cab, or Super cab.........

That's as heavy as a new RWD F150 Regular cab, or Super cab.........

Those figures are for an I5 Puma diesel and AWD crew cab Ranger.. A regular cab 2WD Ranger is about 3500 lbs.

We go through this every few months but rest assured that like for like Ranger and Colorado are similar weights.

First off, curb weights of base models

- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK

- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD

Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg

Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg

Colorado 2.8 TD..................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg

Ranger XL 2.5 TiVCT..........3916 lb/ 1780 Kg...(Ford Mexico website - probably 5MT...for V6 Auto, add 200 lbs.)

Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg

Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

As a guide, Colorado V6 extended cab (Super cab) 2WD starts at 21,995, the V6 Crew Cab version starts at $27,295

that's similar to V6 F150 Reg Cab..

You actually get quite a bit of value in the zone below the full sized trucks, if you want more than a regular cab.....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Anyone know how many Explorer Sporttrac Ford sold a year during the peak of its run?

I really don't think Ford will have trouble hitting its sales target. Midsize pickup trucks has basically morphed into the old BOF SUV segment in the US. That's why they are sold mainly as 4 door crew cab configuration with 4WD.

According to this Autonews article LINK

The Sport Trac had a nice, successful run. The truck combined the ride, handling and overall feel of the Explorer with the utility of a pickup. It was positioned between the F-150 and the Ranger -- kind of a mid-sized truck.

Ford never broke out sales numbers for the Sport Trac, instead combining sales for that model in the overall Explorer sales figures that were released. But Ford sources said Sport Trac sales were generally 20 to 25 percent of overall Explorer sales during the past 10 years.

A 2010 Sport Trac V6 XLT 4x2 had an MSRP of around $28,200, pretty expensive for what it was back then but similar price

to the current Colorado V6 Crew cab 4x2 at $29,100...At 4,030 lbs, the Colorado is also 550 lbs lighter than the XLT Sport Trac.

Edited by jpd80

The MSRP on my 2007 V8 4x4 Limited Sport Trac was $33,925. That included moonroof, electronics package, class III towing package, Sirius Sat 6-disc CD, bed extender, locking hard tonneau cover and leather interior. The transfer case is the Control Trac AWD with locking 4Hi and 4Low. Standard Sport Trac features included a composite cargo bed, IRS and 4-wheel disc brakes. The Limited package included power sliding rear window, 18" wheels and 6 way power bucket seats. Curb weight of 4840 lbs.

It was one of the best equipped vehicles in its size class at the time and one the few available with a V8, AWD and a two-speed transfer case, 4-wheel independent suspension and what is essentially a huge locking trunk. ;)

Still going strong after 11 years and 150,000 miles.

Those figures are for an I5 Puma diesel and AWD crew cab Ranger.. A regular cab 2WD Ranger is about 3500 lbs.

We go through this every few months but rest assured that like for like Ranger and Colorado are similar weights.

First off, curb weights of base models

- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK

- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD

Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg

Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg

Colorado 2.8 TD..................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg

Ranger XL 2.5 TiVCT..........3916 lb/ 1780 Kg...(Ford Mexico website - probably 5MT...for V6 Auto, add 200 lbs.)

Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg

Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Ranger is in the ballpark.

Chevy who? Benchmarking the class leader: Tacoma 4x4 Automatic Crew Cab = 4425 lbs

https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features/weights_capacities/7544

Edited by Kev-Mo

regarding Sportstrac....they sat...there was about as much interest in that vehicle as I have in anything Kardashian. Our last unit I believe was a Silver Adrenalin that had had two birthdays. I actually kinda liked the trusk, but comparatively speaking it was bloody expensive in its day, and its bed was as useful as the trunk in a Fusion Energi ( in truck terms )

See a lot of people are not aware of the Colorado's genesis, having evolved through three generations with Isuzu D-max since 2003,

But it's too easy to point to T6 Ranger and call it old even though it still newer, lighter and arguably better designed from the get go.

I'm glad that Ford resisted making the cab wider to Match Colorado let alone as wide as Tacoma (undoubtedly why Tundra struggles.)

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1