Can the Ford Ranger crash Chevy's small truck party?

As with any other product, Ford is only interested in who wants to buy a Ranger,

not the critics who wouldn't buy it regardless of appeasement / changes...

Getting that 10K/mth sales is going to be interesting, Ecoboost in a truck you say,

it will never sell........and F150 is a figment of everyone's imagination.

Ranger is the truck for "everyone else" that wants a 1/4 ton that's different to the others.

2WD Colorado V6 8AT get 25 mpg official

FWD Explorer 2.3 EB 6AT get 28 mpg official

Unequal comparison but similar weight to each other....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Doesn't show up until late 2019, one engine option, bland styling. Sure the Ford faithful will buy, but what about anyone else?

We also don't know if other engines won't be announced between now and Launch. Don't forget the Raptor Ranger is being shown next month, and it will be sold here. If they release more info as time goes on it keeps the Ranger in the press and keeps people interested in it.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

i found this interesting,

I'm sorry but this sounds like face saving spin, I remember Derrick Kuzak hosing down T6 Ranger as unnecessary

because it was 7/8 the size of F150 - the large size made it too close to F150 in Ford's opinion back then.

It would seem that the lure of higher ATP has been proven by GM's Colorado and its rich product mix consisting

mostly of Crew Cab V6. It looks to me as though Ford realized that they were looking at Ranger the wrong way,

too big for the Ranger they wanted but perfect as a new era Sport Trac replacement...

Thinking about Ranger sales prediction, 125K sales is approximately 10,000 trucks a month, that would be

impressive for a product in its first 12 months and perhaps the Foot hold Ford needs to justify more models

like Raptor, a V6 or a diesel and Pioneer's Lariat top trim and options.

I figure it will take Ford 12 months to work out what real world Ranger buyers want exactly in terms of those

trims and engine choices but don't be surprised to see Ford double back and offer more..

I still don't understand why they didn't call it F-100 if they weren't going to make a true, compact ranger... just seems wrong whereas F100 makes all the sense in the world... but I guess they just "had to have the name"

Edited by probowler
  • Like 2

I would agree there's pent up demand for the Ranger, I see so many service providers driving around Ranger, like Pool Cleaning companies, and painters, etc. but let's remember back then how much they purchased those Rangers for. The commercial no-frills XL variety with rubber flooring, poverty-like crank windows and radios without the simplest of "scan" functions. I would think that while the current ones would be much better equipped, I'm sure business owners will be sticker shocked come the new Ranger. Also, a "workmans" version hasn't yet been mentioned. I'm causing Ford would profit heavily the first year for the "I gotta have it" crowd first, then when sale drop the following year, I would imagine the "workmans" version to debut.

I still don't understand why they didn't call it F-100 if they weren't going to make a true, compact ranger... just seems wrong whereas F100 makes all the sense in the world... but I guess they just "had to have the name"

The same reason it carries some F150 styling cues but doesn't look like a scaled-down F150--they want it to be distinct from the F150.

The last Ranger wasn't exactly a compact truck, anyway; it was more of a mid-sizer.

By naming it F-100, they would be able to pile the sales on the "F-Series" crown and go over a million...

How is that Blue Cool aid? The Ranger is the number 2 midsize truck sold behind Toyota now, adding the US to that total will raise it.

Just curious, are HiLux and Tacoma sales combined or is the HiLux the best selling truck in this segment worldwide without including Tacoma? If Ford overtakes HiLux only sales worldwide by including NA Ranger sales it would be a bit of a shallow victory.

It's a bit of a different story compared to GM since I believe they do combine all Colorado sales but do not include Canyon. It's really just playing games with names and numbers for bragging rights.

an F-150 wont fit in my garage.

The garage thing is a big deal to me and to many others. I think about 215" is as big as I can go. Older homes everywhere simply don't have the room. I live in a place where we have real winter, and at an altitude (6000') where the summer sun is even harder on parked vehicles than winter. Garage is necessary.

Ranger is something I will seriously consider if the new Bronco is too expensive.

Just curious, are HiLux and Tacoma sales combined or is the HiLux the best selling truck in this segment worldwide without including Tacoma? If Ford overtakes HiLux only sales worldwide by including NA Ranger sales it would be a bit of a shallow victory.

It's a bit of a different story compared to GM since I believe they do combine all Colorado sales but do not include Canyon. It's really just playing games with names and numbers for bragging rights.

I think the real question is: Can the Ranger crash Toyota's small truck party?

Why would you go after the second place guy - go for the market leader!

• Like 2

Sure the Ford faithful will buy, but what about anyone else?

Hmmm - because it is a better truck than the competition -

What is up with the engine critics? Power and torque for that motor are solid. Have you talked to a Mustang or Focus RS owner about that 2.3 Ecoboost? Last Mustang guy I spoke with was gushing with joy!

Don't forget the Raptor Ranger is being shown next month, and it will be sold here.

Are you sure about that? Ford may want to keep that as exclusive to the F-150 in North America. Do any of the other markets that are getting the Ranger Raptor have access to the F-150 Raptor?

What is up with the engine critics? Power and torque for that motor are solid. Have you talked to a Mustang or Focus RS owner about that 2.3 Ecoboost? Last Mustang guy I spoke with was gushing with joy!

I have a 2013 Mustang GT 6 speed. I have some mods done and it dyno'ed 432 hp and 415 lb ft to the rear wheels.

I was goofing off one afternoon and a stop light Gran Prix developed with a EB 'Stang. We left pretty even, but I gotta tell you that little turbo 4 had me by half a fender in the first 50-75 feet. Pretty sure he was an auto. When my Coyote hit 3500 rpm; it was over. I could see his grill after I shifted to 2nd.

Needless to say; I was impressed.

• Like 2

Are you sure about that? Ford may want to keep that as exclusive to the F-150 in North America. Do any of the other markets that are getting the Ranger Raptor have access to the F-150 Raptor?

I agree...its a real head scratcher why they would do that..for arguments sake...raptor needs a v8..just cause

I think we’ll see both a Ranger Raptor and a Bronco Raptor. There was talk at one time about creating a Raptor sub-brand.

Why? Because it’s cheap profit. Bolt on new suspensions and appearance parts and do some engine tuning and add $10K to the price (minimum).