Ford May 2018 Sales - Up 1%

Do you consider it completely different?

The Fusion got a new power train option and the Edge lost one.

What powertrain did it lose?

Edge gained the 8-speed across the board, which was a big powertrain upgrade. Probably sub 5 second to 60 on the 2.7, and sub 7 second to 60 with the 2.0L.

That's your opinion. I disagree. I think the average consumer will trend closer to my opinion. We're looking through the eyes of Ford enthusiasts. Time will tell.

Well, we'll agree to disagree then. I don't know how you can look at the Edge - with literally nothing looking remotely alike to the pre-refresh - completely different looking headlights, new grille shape, "disconnected" grille and headlights (the headlights don't touch the grille), different lower bumper, hood, etc. - and say people won't notice the difference. If you want to argue about the back, ok, I can buy that the back is similar, despite the black panel, different taillights, and completely different hatch and bumper, but the front looks nothing alike the outgoing model.

Do you consider it completely different?

The Fusion got a new power train option and the Edge lost one.

Absolutely, I do.

Fusion you have to look very closely to realize it's new - I've even had trouble distinguishing them from time to time. Edge looks noticeably different.

Edited by rmc523

The Edge update is pretty significant, not as significant as the 2011 Update or the Nautilus, but it's a badly needed update that brings some modernity and refinement to a design that was always fairly generic (at least up front). I do think Ford needs to focus more on interior updates, this is an area they cut back on significantly in recent years with MCEs...but it's fairly typical for the industry now. The Edge interior really lacks premium finishes and details which you'll find in many SUVs in this price.

The Escape sales plunge this year has something to do with its advanced age but probably more to do with competition dividing up a market they had to themselves and a few others for a long time. There's also a broader range of SUV options at Ford (EcoSport), and the reduction in incentives and fleet sales. Ford may have trouble making money on Escape and can't race to the bottom like Nissan in particular. Ford is still relatively poorly positioned on SUVs with such an aging range of smaller and midsize utilities with a longer than average product cycle. When it comes to SUV sales they rank 4 or 5th in the country behind GM, FCA, Toyota and Nissan and it's going to be a few years before they are positioned to challenge them. But I think they are better positioned than all but GM when it comes to premium Midsize and Large utilities which are profit drivers. I don't think we're going to see big sales gains with new Explorer, Edge MCE, or Escape...I think those products will just level off and sustain themselves better at higher margins. I think the only real potential for SUV sales growth is with the addition of Bronco and Maverick. EcoSport is never going to be a big seller so I'm hoping that's just a temp until Maverick.

Edited by Assimilator

The Edge update is pretty significant, not as significant as the 2011 Update or the Nautilus, but it's a badly needed update that brings some modernity and refinement to a design that was always fairly generic (at least up front). I do think Ford needs to focus more on interior updates, this is an area they cut back on significantly in recent years with MCEs...but it's fairly typical for the industry now. The Edge interior really lacks premium finishes and details which you'll find in many SUVs in this price.

The Escape sales plunge this year has something to do with its advanced age but probably more to do with competition dividing up a market they had to themselves and a few others for a long time. There's also a broader range of SUV options at Ford (EcoSport), and the reduction in incentives and fleet sales. Ford may have trouble making money on Escape and can't race to the bottom like Nissan in particular. Ford is still relatively poorly positioned on SUVs with such an aging range of smaller and midsize utilities with a longer than average product cycle. When it comes to SUV sales they rank 4 or 5th in the country behind GM, FCA, Toyota and Nissan and it's going to be a few years before they are positioned to challenge them. But I think they are better positioned than all but GM when it comes to premium Midsize and Large utilities which are profit drivers. I don't think we're going to see big sales gains with new Explorer, Edge MCE, or Escape...I think those products will just level off and sustain themselves better at higher margins. I think the only real potential for SUV sales growth is with the addition of Bronco and Maverick. EcoSport is never going to be a big seller so I'm hoping that's just a temp until Maverick.

The EcoSport is a good start but I agree Ford really needs the Maverick (or whatever its called) and the larger Escape asap. Escape sales are going to get worse once the new Rav4 comes out, Ford will have the oldest model in the market for about 8 months. However come this time next year they will have turned the corner on new product coming. Starting in Oct this year Ford has a ton of new/updated product coming out for the next 36 months which should help fix some of the issues. Transit Connect, Edge, Nautilus, Ranger, Explorer, Aviator, Escape, Focus Active and MKC replacement will all be out in the next 18 months.(end of 2019) Following that in the next 18 months after, you will have the New F-150, Transit, Mustang, Maverick, Electric SUV, MKZ, Continental, updated Expedition and Navigator, Bronco, new Ranger, updated Ecosport, new Edge, new Nautilus, and the 2 China Lincolns as well as the white space vehicle.

Hopefully quality isn't going to be an issue at Ford with this many launches.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic here but a while back people were wondering what effect,

the stoppages at the F Series plants would have on sales and inventory.

Well, finally I can give May1 and June 1 Inventory numbers:

May 1 ......................... 256,600.......84 Days

June 1 ........................ 219,700.......67 Days

So looks to have chopped into inventory by about 36,900, that tighter inventory could cost some sales

but it may also keep incentives lower due to drying available trucks..and probably the most popular models too..

Slightly off topic here but a while back people were wondering what effect,

the stoppages at the F Series plants would have on sales and inventory.

Well, finally I can give May1 and June 1 Inventory numbers:

May 1 ......................... 256,600.......84 Days

June 1 ........................ 219,700.......67 Days

So looks to have chopped into inventory by about 36,900, that tighter inventory could cost some sales

but it may also keep incentives lower due to drying available trucks..and probably the most popular models too..

I always thought 60 days was an ideal number? Or is that old school?

And that during the stoppage, that near 37,000 decline in inventory came from the most popular

versions of the truck being sold, so remaining inventory is not indicative of the product mix required.

Originally I though that sales would remain in proportion regardless of factory production but apparently,

the more popular models really take off in the peak selling season, so maybe incentives are not needed

as much to move '18 stock once the '19s begin arriving...

Edited by jpd80