Jump to content





Escapism

Porosity in Ford Blocks

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Escapism said:

That statement is pure crap. Ford is NOT covering many people out there that have coolant intrusion. They are just barely past the warranty and Ford is telling them to go pound sand. That is why their is a class action lawsuit. Get real man.


He meant that they corrected the coolant passage design.  And they are honoring the warranty.  That’s a separate issue from covering people out of warranty which I think they should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, akirby said:


He meant that they corrected the coolant passage design.  And they are honoring the warranty.  That’s a separate issue from covering people out of warranty which I think they should do.

And to top it off, reports are starting to come in about coolant intrusion with the 2020 three cylinders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Escapism said:

That statement is pure crap. Ford is NOT covering many people out there that have coolant intrusion. They are just barely past the warranty and Ford is telling them to go pound sand. That is why their is a class action lawsuit. Get real man.

 

Are they covering yours?? End of story...there are "class action lawsuits" for damn near everything these days...guess who gets all the money...

 

For what its worth, I am glad that Ford is repairing your car...when it is done, please go trade it in for anything else and go cry on their forms,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twintornados said:

 

Are they covering yours?? End of story...there are "class action lawsuits" for damn near everything these days...guess who gets all the money...

 

For what its worth, I am glad that Ford is repairing your car...when it is done, please go trade it in for anything else and go cry on their forms,


I think it’s fair criticism that Ford isn’t extending the warranty to cover people that are between 60k and 100k miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, akirby said:


I think it’s fair criticism that Ford isn’t extending the warranty to cover people that are between 60k and 100k miles.

 

I know it sucks, but at the end of the day, buy an extended warranty or trade 'er in and don't buy another Ford, but the endless crying about it gets old...fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, twintornados said:

 

I know it sucks, but at the end of the day, buy an extended warranty or trade 'er in and don't buy another Ford, but the endless crying about it gets old...fast.

 

If it's $9000 out of his pocket as mentioned by another poster, I don't blame him one bit - he's not crying, he's pissed. He should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

 

If it's $9000 out of his pocket as mentioned by another poster, I don't blame him one bit - he's not crying, he's pissed. He should be.

 

For $9,000...I would be buying something else....dumb investment into a vehicle...and yes, he comes to a Ford blog to bitch and cry about it...take it on the hop and go get a Chevy, Honda, or a host of other makes if you are indeed that "pissed"...no  one is holding a gun to your head demanding you keep the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, akirby said:


He meant that they corrected the coolant passage design.  And they are honoring the warranty.  That’s a separate issue from covering people out of warranty which I think they should do.

When was this issue corrected?  We have a 2017 Escape.....just wondering if we should be worried?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

When was this issue corrected?  We have a 2017 Escape.....just wondering if we should be worried?

I just had my 2017 1.5 liter changed out under warranty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

When was this issue corrected?  We have a 2017 Escape.....just wondering if we should be worried?


Sometime in 2019 I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

When was this issue corrected?  We have a 2017 Escape.....just wondering if we should be worried?

Keep an eye on your coolant overflow tank. It seems to be the norm for the coolant to ride at or just under the ADD line when cold. If you notice it going down from there after topping it off, bring it in, have it diagnosed to start a paper trail. If you are close to the end of your 5/60 powertrain warranty, I would seriously consider getting an extended warranty for as long as you intend to keep the car. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

Keep an eye on your coolant overflow tank. It seems to be the norm for the coolant to ride at or just under the ADD line when cold. If you notice it going down from there after topping it off, bring it in, have it diagnosed to start a paper trail. If you are close to the end of your 5/60 powertrain warranty, I would seriously consider getting an extended warranty for as long as you intend to keep the car. 

 

 

All good, solid recommendations....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 5:38 AM, twintornados said:

 

Are they covering yours?? End of story...there are "class action lawsuits" for damn near everything these days...guess who gets all the money...

 

For what its worth, I am glad that Ford is repairing your car...when it is done, please go trade it in for anything else and go cry on their forms,

Go ahead and flame me all you want. You sit there on your high horse and act like all of us have money coming out of our ears and we can just switch cars. Your missing my point. Ford has a history of not honoring their defects. I'm talking about consumer advocacy here. If I didn't come on here and start this thread and gripe, then who would?  Your self-gratification of all things Ford just feeds the corporate giants mentality that they can do whatever they want and get away with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Escapism said:

Go ahead and flame me all you want. You sit there on your high horse and act like all of us have money coming out of our ears and we can just switch cars. Your missing my point. Ford has a history of not honoring their defects. I'm talking about consumer advocacy here. If I didn't come on here and start this thread and gripe, then who would?  Your self-gratification of all things Ford just feeds the corporate giants mentality that they can do whatever they want and get away with it. 


I can make my mind up on what to do without the help of a "consumer advocate" thank you very much....go join Sandy Cortez's "green team", me? I will make decisions on my own and not cry about them if the decision is not a good one. Chalk it up and move along. As for feeding the corporate giants mentality...it's about $$$ and I choose where I spend it...they CAN do whatever they want, it is MY choice if I want to go along. 

Edited by twintornados

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ease up fellas.  There are valid points on both sides.

 

This is a unique situation with engines failing so soon.  Engines typically last over 200k with proper maintenance.  In these situations the mfr sometimes extends the warranty.  Ford has done it many times with other parts.  It would be nice if Ford did the same here.

 

However.....

 

When you buy a vehicle you get the standard factory LIMITED warranty.  You know what is covered and for how long.  You also have the option to purchase extended coverage for up to 100k miles.  The warranty covers all kinds of defects including engine failures.  If you CHOOSE not to get the extra coverage then you shouldn’t complain about it not being covered.  
 

Now if Ford was denying warranty replacements that’s a whole different ballgame, but I don’t think that’s the case.

 

Its like buying a cheeseburger without fries, then complaining that you didn’t get fries and then demanding that the manager give you the fries for free.  
 

It’s not about Ford per se it’s a simple matter of legal contracts.  You get what you pay for.  If Ford chooses not to go above and beyond their legal obligations to extend warranty coverage for free then it’s your right as a consumer to shop elsewhere.  That’s why I don’t buy Sony televisions.

 

And for the record, in this particular case I do think Ford should extend the warranty.  But I don’t think they’re obligated to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, akirby said:

Ease up fellas.  There are valid points on both sides.

 

This is a unique situation with engines failing so soon.  Engines typically last over 200k with proper maintenance.  In these situations the mfr sometimes extends the warranty.  Ford has done it many times with other parts.  It would be nice if Ford did the same here.

 

However.....

 

When you buy a vehicle you get the standard factory LIMITED warranty.  You know what is covered and for how long.  You also have the option to purchase extended coverage for up to 100k miles.  The warranty covers all kinds of defects including engine failures.  If you CHOOSE not to get the extra coverage then you shouldn’t complain about it not being covered.  
 

Now if Ford was denying warranty replacements that’s a whole different ballgame, but I don’t think that’s the case.

 

Its like buying a cheeseburger without fries, then complaining that you didn’t get fries and then demanding that the manager give you the fries for free.  
 

It’s not about Ford per se it’s a simple matter of legal contracts.  You get what you pay for.  If Ford chooses not to go above and beyond their legal obligations to extend warranty coverage for free then it’s your right as a consumer to shop elsewhere.  That’s why I don’t buy Sony televisions.

 

And for the record, in this particular case I do think Ford should extend the warranty.  But I don’t think they’re obligated to do so.

 

Agreed. I think the biggest thing here is that most take it for granted a vehicle should make it to 100k with minimal maintenance. Everyone knows what the warranty is when they buy a vehicle. If anything, this just shows how buying a vehicle can be a gamble when it comes to problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did buy extended warranty when I bought my Escape.  Problem is, I don't put a lot of miles on my Escape.  I'm at 63k I believe.  No issues so far.  But my warranty runs out soon.  I had a 7 year/100k.  I'm reaching the 7 year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

 

Agreed. I think the biggest thing here is that most take it for granted a vehicle should make it to 100k with minimal maintenance. Everyone knows what the warranty is when they buy a vehicle. If anything, this just shows how buying a vehicle can be a gamble when it comes to problems. 

 

Like most other things in life, people want something for free.  They want extended coverage they just don't want to pay for it.  If you told them they could have 7 yrs/100K mile coverage from day 1 but it will add $2000 to the cost of the vehicle, most would pass and then complain when something happens.  It's just human nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG, you folks are so missing the point. You guys are all talking warranties and expectations. That is NOT the point. The point is a SYSTEMIC problem that is affecting a higher percentage of vehicles that is way outside the;norm. Engines failures at the 15,000 to 70,000 range is a serious and unprecedented issue in a 21st century engine. 
 

Come on folks. I don’t understand why people are defending a well publicized issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Escapism said:

OMG, you folks are so missing the point. You guys are all talking warranties and expectations. That is NOT the point. The point is a SYSTEMIC problem that is affecting a higher percentage of vehicles that is way outside the;norm. Engines failures at the 15,000 to 70,000 range is a serious and unprecedented issue in a 21st century engine. 
 

Come on folks. I don’t understand why people are defending a well publicized issue. 


I don’t think we are defending the engineering problem that created this situation. Also, we don’t know the percentage of vehicles this truly effects. I think some of us are being real about it. The buyer knows what the warranty is. If they aren’t comfortable with it buy an extended warranty, trade it in before warranty expires, or buy something else with a longer warranty.

 

in a perfect world Ford would cover the costs post warranty expiration. However, they are in no way required to at this point. It’s possible in the future they may but not at this point.

 

Is it a crap sandwich? Sure but it’s the gamble you take buying a new vehicle...especially once out of warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Escapism said:

OMG, you folks are so missing the point. You guys are all talking warranties and expectations. That is NOT the point. The point is a SYSTEMIC problem that is affecting a higher percentage of vehicles that is way outside the;norm. Engines failures at the 15,000 to 70,000 range is a serious and unprecedented issue in a 21st century engine. 


No you’re missing the point.  It’s a defect in material and/or workmanship.  Guess what warranties cover?  Defects in material or workmanship.  Some defects show up within a few thousand miles.  Some show up at 50k and others past 100k.  Some are design issues.  Some are bad components.  Why something fails or how many units are affected doesn’t change anything.  A defect is a defect.

 

Is it covered by the factory warranty and Ford ESPs?  Yes,

 

Is Ford honoring the warranty?  Yes.

 

Is it disappointing that Ford has not yet extended the warranty for free?  Yes.

 

Is Ford obligated to extend the warranty?  No.

 

You act like this shouldn’t be a warranty issue but this is the  exact thing warranties are designed for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drive off the lot and the engine falls out of the vehicle?

 

Warranty repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:


. Also, we don’t know the percentage of vehicles this truly effects.

 

 

Having been thru this, I'm curious if the Class Action suit(s) will expose just how many blocks have been replaced.

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s a defect in material and/or workmanship.  

 

If the description given earlier in the thread is accurate, it's neither. The description was " the whole problem is caused by a channel that is engineered in the top of the block (every engine built up to sometime in 2019 has this channel)."

 

If that's the case, it's not material, it's certainly not workmanship - I guess it's poor engineering. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

 

If the description given earlier in the thread is accurate, it's neither. The description was " the whole problem is caused by a channel that is engineered in the top of the block (every engine built up to sometime in 2019 has this channel)."

 

If that's the case, it's not material, it's certainly not workmanship - I guess it's poor engineering. 

 


Of course it’s bad engineering but Engineering is workmanship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×