The Bronco Is Back, Thanks to a Group of Obsessed Ford Employees

17 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I've also given up hope that I'll be able to pick one up on the A/Z plan.  Maybe after a year or so, after all the reservations are filled.

I wouldn't read into that much...

There is a a lot demand for the Bronco...but there is also 100K of the Regular Bronco to be built at a minimum the first year. 

There are roughly 3000 Ford dealerships in the US

So using that as a baseline...each dealership could get 33 Broncos per dealership...of course it wouldn't work exactly that way, but we are just talking numbers here.

Contrast this with 5000 or so GT500 are supposed to made this year...much smaller numbers

There are going to be a handful of the gotta have it crowd at any cost people, but once that demand is satisfied, I don't see any issue with getting plan pricing.

Plus you have to weigh this as a dealership body-Just using myself as an example-My wife bought her past two Escapes at the same dealership. I have my Bronco order through that dealership and we will continue to most likely use that dealership unless they screw the relationship up in the future. Would you rather have somewhat regular business from people who come in buy a car every 5 years or so and maybe get referrals for other deals, or do you want to score $5K ADM on one off customer?  The plan pricing makes things plainless for the sales person...they might have to wait longer for a check from Ford (I'm assuming this) vs regular sale, but the amount of time spent making the deal is alot less stressful and time consuming. 

Plus add in the COVID situation and where we might be economically this time next year due to that and political policies changing...well you can see what could happen.

The Corvette guys pretty much lucked out because of that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Why?  This should not be a capacity-restrained vehicle like Mach-E, yet that's A/Z-Plan eligible.

Maybe we'll have to do like the Corvette guys did with the C-8, and start a running list of Dealers willing to sell at A/Z-Plan?

HRG

They've done so in the past.  Hot selling vehicles go to the general public first, A/Z plan later.  

14 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

They've done so in the past.  Hot selling vehicles go to the general public first, A/Z plan later.  

I don’t remember that happening with X plan.  Vehicles are either eligible from day one or never like the gt350 and gt500.  Maybe A/Z is different?

51 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I've also given up hope that I'll be able to pick one up on the A/Z plan.  Maybe after a year or so, after all the reservations are filled.

actually I don't think that will be an issue...obviously that's dealer dependent...but I know we wouldnt have any issue...

22 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I wouldn't read into that much...

There is a a lot demand for the Bronco...but there is also 100K of the Regular Bronco to be built at a minimum the first year. 

There are roughly 3000 Ford dealerships in the US

So using that as a baseline...each dealership could get 33 Broncos per dealership...of course it wouldn't work exactly that way, but we are just talking numbers here.

Contrast this with 5000 or so GT500 are supposed to made this year...much smaller numbers

There are going to be a handful of the gotta have it crowd at any cost people, but once that demand is satisfied, I don't see any issue with getting plan pricing.

Plus you have to weigh this as a dealership body-Just using myself as an example-My wife bought her past two Escapes at the same dealership. I have my Bronco order through that dealership and we will continue to most likely use that dealership unless they screw the relationship up in the future. Would you rather have somewhat regular business from people who come in buy a car every 5 years or so and maybe get referrals for other deals, or do you want to score $5K ADM on one off customer?  The plan pricing makes things plainless for the sales person...they might have to wait longer for a check from Ford (I'm assuming this) vs regular sale, but the amount of time spent making the deal is alot less stressful and time consuming. 

Plus add in the COVID situation and where we might be economically this time next year due to that and political policies changing...well you can see what could happen.

The Corvette guys pretty much lucked out because of that.

First Edition was limited to 3500...THAT version will be interesting...Im thinking they will build more...

1 minute ago, akirby said:

The question is whether employees were allowed to reserve one?  Fuzzy?

a few here ( Dealer level ) have reservations...me Im waiting...want the full breakdowns first and to see a couple first hand...but it WILL be mine...

The verbal commitment to build *all* reserved orders - largely in the order they were place - before dealer stock units surprised me. Coupled with the ability to switch your delivery deal through Ford Customer Relations, this creates a very good scenario for the buyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The "Plan" commissions are paid to the dealership. Commissions to the sales representatives are paid by the dealership, not Ford, and are dependent on the dealership's commission plan for "Plan" sales. 

15 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

The verbal commitment to build *all* reserved orders - largely in the order they were place - before dealer stock units surprised me. Coupled with the ability to switch your delivery deal through Ford Customer Relations, this creates a very good scenario for the buyer.

And another potential mess for dealers to deal with. As for production, initial production has always been restricted to stock orders until the "Okay to Buy" status has been achieved to ensure that the quality standard was met prior to the initial shipping release and the scheduling of retail orders. Is Ford now so confident that they can build and ship retail orders ahead of stock orders? At what point then will dealers get stock orders to show, demo and sell? 

• Like 1

well I put a reservation in...but Ill be way down the pecking order...Badlands...but that may change as the hard tops are an option ( upcharge)  as is a lot of the other goodies...that hard top will be mandatory I would think for mere security purposes...Area 51...marine vinyl interior hooked me...may have to swap the grill out...more partial to the 6 hole...

my bronco.jpg

Edited by Deanh

10 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

And another potential mess for dealers to deal with. As for production, initial production has always been restricted to stock orders until the "Okay to Buy" status has been achieved to ensure that the quality standard was met prior to the initial shipping release and the scheduling of retail orders. Is Ford now so confident that they can build and ship retail orders ahead of stock orders? At what point then will dealers get stock orders to show, demo and sell? 

not just that but these reservations go through e-leads which gets streamed DIRECTLY to the internet dept....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I don’t remember that happening with X plan.  Vehicles are either eligible from day one or never like the gt350 and gt500.  Maybe A/Z is different?

Usually if it's not eligible for one it's not eligible for all 3. There's a running list on the a/x/z website somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Being from a A/Z plan family (every new vehicle I've ever bought was either A/Z plan), Ford can yank the A/Z option on a hot-selling vehicle if they want.  And I remember Old Wizard, the retired Ford engineer, saying the same thing a few years back.  

I hope A/Z plan is in effect with the new Bronco's, but wouldn't be surprised if they delayed it for several months.

36 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Being from a A/Z plan family (every new vehicle I've ever bought was either A/Z plan), Ford can yank the A/Z option on a hot-selling vehicle if they want.  And I remember Old Wizard, the retired Ford engineer, saying the same thing a few years back.  

I hope A/Z plan is in effect with the new Bronco's, but wouldn't be surprised if they delayed it for several months.

I DONT THINK PLAN MEMEBERS HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT...

• Like 1

Dealers will end up with stock units to sell from reservation holders when they come in and can't close on the loan, the vehicle is already at the dealer. Dealer will refund the $100 to the person then sell their vehicle, there were a few dealers that seem to have had every employee at the dealership pre-order one, which looks like they are just going to refuse delivery of the vehicle then the dealer has them to sell. 

You will also be able to make any change when you finalize the order including moving to different trim lines (Except first edition), Ford did the reservations this way to get a market breakdown so there wouldn't be huge delays on components like in the past. Just the First Editions are sold out, but as the order banks open there might be more slots available if those buyers move to different lines.

11 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Dealers will end up with stock units to sell from reservation holders when they come in and can't close on the loan, the vehicle is already at the dealer. Dealer will refund the $100 to the person then sell their vehicle, there were a few dealers that seem to have had every employee at the dealership pre-order one, which looks like they are just going to refuse delivery of the vehicle then the dealer has them to sell. 

You will also be able to make any change when you finalize the order including moving to different trim lines (Except first edition), Ford did the reservations this way to get a market breakdown so there wouldn't be huge delays on components like in the past. Just the First Editions are sold out, but as the order banks open there might be more slots available if those buyers move to different lines.

we will see, and I think youre correct there will be people dropping out..."What...no 0%??? " "What do you mean my payments are $650 ????" etc etc etc...One thing that has never changed in this business is the complete mathematical incompetence of people dreaming of a Navigator with the budget of an Escape....if you get my drift....lol...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Deanh said:

we will see, and I think youre correct there will be people dropping out..."What...no 0%??? " "What do you mean my payments are $650 ????" etc etc etc...One thing that has never changed in this business is the complete mathematical incompetence of people dreaming of a Navigator with the budget of an Escape....if you get my drift....lol...

I'm assuming you mean something like "what do you mean I have to put something down with my 480 credit score on a 55K vehicle" "WHAT How is the payment 912/month".

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deanh said:

we will see, and I think you're correct there will be people dropping out..."What...no 0%??? " "What do you mean my payments are $650 ????" etc etc etc...One thing that has never changed in this business is the complete mathematical incompetence of people dreaming of a Navigator with the budget of an Escape....if you get my drift....lol...

Do people REALLY buy vehicles based on a monthly payment, rather than what they need (# of seats, towing capacity, luggage space, special requirements)?

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

11 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Sorry but any smart Dealer is going to make sure that financing is approved prior to submitting final order configurations for a retail order. What games some Dealers may play with Bronco orders is a different story. Ford monitors retail orders and if they see a Dealer abusing the system with retail orders that end up sitting in stock there are repercussions. Sure, it looks like the Bronco will be a hit sales-wise and units that end up in stock will get sold quickly. 

There's also going to be the matter of Dealers figuring out what their stock model mix should be for their market. In addition, don't believe for a second that there won't be commodity issues getting orders scheduled. I deal with commodity issues every week trying to get orders scheduled and it never gets better.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Do people REALLY buy vehicles based on a monthly payment, rather than what they need (# of seats, towing capacity, luggage space, special requirements)?

HRG

Whether it's a retail purchase or lease, monthly payments are the deciding factor for most customers... at least in my market.