Jump to content

None






TrentM

Crazy Navigator story

Recommended Posts

So my wife and I flew from Boise, ID on Feb 3rd to Florida. Had a crappy rental car of course. Drove through Naples and the Lincoln dealer there had a 2021 Black Label that got my attention. Ended up buying it and turned in the rental at a Budget lot a mile down  the road. Now I have a problem. The airline would not let me bring my newly purchased Gator on the plane. So we cancelled our flight and drove it home to Boise. Got back yesterday. What an adventure. What poor timing. Drove through very miserable road conditions across Texas last Thursday and Friday. All on I-10.  I have years of snow and ice driving experience due to growing up and living in Utah and Idaho. But all the drivers not familiar with such driving did everything they could to try and kill us.  Anyway, made it home with 3,100 miles on my Gator that had 25 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.  Now it is parked in  the garage and my poor 2019 F-150 Raptor is parked outside in the cold. Gotta decide if I am going to keep my most favorite truck I have ever had.  Glad to find this forum!  More to come!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will try and figure it out. Tech challenged!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrentM said:

I will try and figure it out. Tech challenged!

Not easy on this site with the size limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the purchase.  Just curious- being a Florida truck did it come with 4wd and all season tires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the Black Label Navi's are 4wd.  The tires might be all-seasons, but not many of those 22" toboggans offer much ability to dig in and grip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Emilner said:

Congrats on the purchase.  Just curious- being a Florida truck did it come with 4wd and all season tires?

 

3 hours ago, Gpfarrell said:

All the Black Label Navi's are 4wd.  The tires might be all-seasons, but not many of those 22" toboggans offer much ability to dig in and grip!

Maybe I knew last January when I ordered mine and forgot, but I didn't realize just reading this now that all Black Labels are standard with 4 wheel drive. Checked the Order Guide, and you are correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  Yep 4 x 4.  I do not like the 22 inch factory wheels. They are coming off this weekend. But the smallest wheel you can put on is a 20 inch due to the brake caliber size.   I hate the sorry factory Hankook tires that are squishy and soft.  Could have made it through the crap in Texas and New Mexico much better if I had the Toyo all terrain 10 ply tires on 20 inch wheels that are going on it.  Need Idaho worthy tires. Not Florida freeway slicks!  Ha ha! I will have four 22 inch wheels for sale if anyone is interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TrentM said:

Thanks!  Yep 4 x 4.  I do not like the 22 inch factory wheels. They are coming off this weekend. But the smallest wheel you can put on is a 20 inch due to the brake caliber size.   I hate the sorry factory Hankook tires that are squishy and soft.  Could have made it through the crap in Texas and New Mexico much better if I had the Toyo all terrain 10 ply tires on 20 inch wheels that are going on it.  Need Idaho worthy tires. Not Florida freeway slicks!  Ha ha! I will have four 22 inch wheels for sale if anyone is interested. 

Check your spare.  If it is an 18 you can run 18's.  Same information is on the door placard which lists the size of the spare as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh!  Good idea!  Had not thought of that!  Will check.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is an 18" standard steel wheel with a taller tire that will work on anything.  So nope..  20" is the smallest you can use....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TrentM said:

It is an 18" standard steel wheel with a taller tire that will work on anything.  So nope..  20" is the smallest you can use....


Huh? If the spare is 18” then any 18” wheel will fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, akirby said:


Huh? If the spare is 18” then any 18” wheel will fit.

Right, if you are indicating the spare uses a 18" wheel (rim) then you just have to get the appreciate sized tire so that the overall diameter and width are as close to the original as possible.  Here is calculator than can help:

 

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The steel wheel spare clears the brake calipers. The 18 inch ALLOY wheel I wanted does not. Had to go with a 20.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Trent. Yes, there is much more to properly fitting a wheel than only wheel diameter. The 18" spare is very thin width wise, so caliper/suspension/fender/fender well clearance is not the issue it would be with the conventional (non-spare) wider wheel.

 

This is due to the fact that with a wider, conventional wheel, there are other variables that must be taken into account, such as the wheel width and wheel offset, both of which will directly affect caliper/suspension/fender/fender well clearance. As you found out.

 

Then there is also lug spacing, centerbore etc.

 

There are almost certainly 19" (and possibly even some 18" wheels) that may fit. I have not checked, so can not swear to it. However, those width and offset specs must be correct to do.

 

Happy to hear you were able to find a suitable solution though. Good luck.

 

 

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  Yeah there are 18 and 19 inch alloys that will fit I am assuming. But none that I was looking at.  If you want to see the new wheels I put on go to the Black Rhino Wheels website. I did the Glamis Matte Black.. 20 X 9.  Very happy with em. I have 5 full inches of sidewall now instead of 3.  Not so squishy in the turns and curves. More solid ride.     Tires and wheels better suited to Idaho country,, not Miami freeways.     Had a guy offer me $600.00 for all four factory wheels and tires!  I said 'C'mon!  You can do better than that.!!   He said "Nope...  those wheels are so ugly I should only offer you $400.  !!  Ha ha!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TrentM said:

Thanks!  Yeah there are 18 and 19 inch alloys that will fit I am assuming. But none that I was looking at.  If you want to see the new wheels I put on go to the Black Rhino Wheels website. I did the Glamis Matte Black.. 20 X 9.  Very happy with em. I have 5 full inches of sidewall now instead of 3.  Not so squishy in the turns and curves. More solid ride.     Tires and wheels better suited to Idaho country,, not Miami freeways.     Had a guy offer me $600.00 for all four factory wheels and tires!  I said 'C'mon!  You can do better than that.!!   He said "Nope...  those wheels are so ugly I should only offer you $400.  !!  Ha ha!!!!!

I'll bet you could get a better price for the ones you took off back in FL.....another road trip maybe???? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Ha!!!  Good excuse for another 3,000 mile road trip alright!     I would do it since it is 75 in Houston today,,, but I do not think my traveling buddy would be up for it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tire Rack’s website shows compatibility with even some 17” wheels... I’d think all the F150 stuff from the past 15 years or so would likely interchange.  That certainly doesn’t mean every 17” or 18” wheel will work, but should be lots of aftermarket options available in a variety of sizes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the 20" wheels and tires I put on I now have almost 6 inches of side wall,, verses the 3 inches I did have. Handles in the turns and curves much more firmly now and just just feels more solid. Great ride and ready for more Idaho snow and ice too. Does not feel as solid as the 35's on my Raptor with 17" wheels, but I am happy with them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's none of my business, of course, but I perceive that disposable income is not a problem for you, buying a Navigator on impulse.  Would it be possible to add on another garage stall or outbuilding and park your Raptor inside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Ha!!!  Well I have a 4 car garage. But my Harley and my wife's golf cart and my man hangout area take up two of the spots.  But I have worked very hard to get where I am at.  About time to have some fun!  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly the solution to your problem to your very vexing problem is to keep the Raptor and the Harley and use this opportunity to build a custom toy hauler, painted to match the Raptor of course, in which you can haul the Harley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had one!!  Sold it last year because I was not using it anymore. I Had it before  the Raptor but the paint still matched it. Ha Ha!.  Actually thinking about selling the Harley. We have put 54,000 miles on it traveling around the western US.  Wife is not that excited to hard boil her noggin in the summer anymore, along with too many stupid car drivers out there these days texting, sleeping,  talking,  eating & whatever.  Too many close calls the last couple of trips.  I think it is the time to downsize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×