Super Duty Registration Cost

Truss57

I realize the registration cost vary by truck spec’s and state. 

Which spec SD do you have and what does it cost in your state to register?

I just ordered an F350 SRW 4x4 in New Jersey and from what I can see it will cost me $534 for a 4 year registration. 

Some states will charge fees based on the payload capacity, which is why lower values are available to derate the truck.  In MI, it's based on vehicle value.  I made sure to transfer the plate from the F150, which I just happened to renew 2 weeks before picking up the SD.  I'll cry next November :(

• Like 1

In CA, there's a registration fee based on the price of the vehicle.  To top it off, there's added fees based on the operating weight of the truck (even if you don't use it commercially).  You can be categorized as unladen if the weight of the truck is under 10K lbs, but if you planning on hauling anything, you technically need to pay up to your expected GVWR.  I'm paying about 1200 a year for an F450 Limited (with a truck camper on it) up to 15K GVWR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Terroirnosaurus said:

In CA, there's a registration fee based on the price of the vehicle.  To top it off, there's added fees based on the operating weight of the truck (even if you don't use it commercially).  You can be categorized as unladen if the weight of the truck is under 10K lbs, but if you planning on hauling anything, you technically need to pay up to your expected GVWR.  I'm paying about 1200 a year for an F450 Limited (with a truck camper on it) up to 15K GVWR.

OUCH!!!

On 2/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, Terroirnosaurus said:

On the Ca DMV Reg4008 form, you can select "none" and incur no additional fees.  Just adding a 10K 5th wheel to the GCWR adds an additional $546 to your annual registration, which will be in the $900's already.  The CHP will not stop a private vehicle towing a 5'r and cite for weight in excess of declared.  Just doesn't happen....That whole program is mainly for the hotshot folks.  

Our road taxes and stuff is wrapped into insurance cost here. "Registration cost" here is basically just administration fee to issue paperwork.. its like $28 iirc. Same for every single vehicle on the road. Its also only due when you renew your policy, so it doesnt matter if the vehicle has sat uninsured for 10 years, its still only $28.

The insurance on my new truck was only $7 per month more then my 11 year old previous truck...?

Edited by mattdm

On 2/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, bshort said:

On the Ca DMV Reg4008 form, you can select "none" and incur no additional fees.  Just adding a 10K 5th wheel to the GCWR adds an additional $546 to your annual registration, which will be in the $900's already.  The CHP will not stop a private vehicle towing a 5'r and cite for weight in excess of declared.  Just doesn't happen....That whole program is mainly for the hotshot folks.  

I agree with you on the enforcement part.  CHP will likely not enforce CVRA violations on private vehicles, but DMV 4008 doesn't state anywhere that it is only applicable on "for hire" vehicles.  There are lots of issues like this from the CA DMV.  For instance, you can technically tow up to a 15K 5th wheel with a non-commercial class C license, but only if you have the special endorsement.  Very little people know about it even the people in the DMV office, haha.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:54 PM, mattdm said:

Our road taxes and stuff is wrapped into insurance cost here. "Registration cost" here is basically just administration fee to issue paperwork.. its like $28 iirc. Same for every single vehicle on the road. Its also only due when you renew your policy, so it doesnt matter if the vehicle has sat uninsured for 10 years, its still only $28.

The insurance on my new truck was only $7 per month more then my 11 year old previous truck...?

Which State are you in?

In Nevada I am probably looking at nearly 800-1000 dollars. It isn't the reg as much as it is the tax the county charges. The reg is based on MSRP with a yearly depreciation. The basic reg is around 150 dollars, the rest is tax so I will get to deduct it on my taxes next year.

bob

Edited by Bob R

It really depends on how they structure all the taxes.  In GA they used to charge sales tax on the sale then ad valorem tax every year on the registration.  Then they replaced the (usually) 7% sales tax and annual ad valorem tax with a roughly 7% one time ad valorem tax.  So now annual registration cost is fairly low but the kicker is they collect the one time ad valorem every time a vehicle is purchased new or used based on the book value.