Official '24 Ford Ranger NA Release

The 2024 Ranger has nothing as a wow factor, short of the Raptor which performance wise is great but everyone in this market now has vehicles that compete with the Raptor (AT4x, TRDPro) 

The V6 which was a class leading feature isn't officially offered yet to order and the Hybrid that made both the Maverick and F-150 the talked about vehicle because of the powertrain. It is missing luxury features found on competitors, and the Tremor is no where to be found which gives a great package for people where a Raptor might be too much.  (Yeah it si coming but if you want preorders give CAR people something that Wows them.  The idea of a slow roll out of this is a huge mistake as what is here you missed the buzz. You have a vehicle which is an entry into the market it competes in.  MAP is taxed with Bronco production but unlike the Bronco/Maverick that brought new people into the Ford world you have a vehicle that will appeal to a few Ford loyalists but isn't going to be bringing in new customers worse based on what is shown those Ford people might be looking at the GM twins or the new Tacoma. What is shown isn't class leading in this market, It is a phone in to show we are in the market but don't really care because we already have maxed out production in the plant and the other product at that plant is more important than this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wildosvt said:

The '22 Tremor is a great truck (we have one) and trading that in for anything but a raptor wouldn't make sense at this point. The refinements are super nice on the new one though. The Tremor is the nicest riding vehicle MAP makes IMHO. On par with the Ranger Raptor. The 2.7L is nice though over the standard 2.3L not that the 2.3L is bad at all. The new one doesn't feel like the current model at all. They don't compare.

I actually prefer the unique styling of the current Ranger over the "Maverick meets F-150" 2024, but I'm probably in the minority when it comes to that. The current Ranger fits in a lot more with the '97-'03 F-150 aero styling then it does with the current boxy Ford truck look so I get the change. It was the odd man out in the Ford truck line.

You are correct that the 2022 Tremor is an excellent riding vehicle. Hopefully the 2024 fixes the "1970s sedan" ride of the previous FX4. I owned a 2019 FX4. Great truck, but rode like a boat on water. It leaned in corners and would nose dive like crazy on hard braking.

The new interior is definitely an improvement, but the current one is durable and easy to clean. It's definitely "commercial vehicle" in it's appearance however so the '24 will be a welcomed change. I'm definitely not as wild over the ever growing in size touchscreens that the general market is going wild over these days.

I'm sure the 2024 will be a good vehicle as long as reliability doesn't take a hit. Ford doesn't always have the best track record when it comes to first year redesigned vehicle reliability. My previous 2019 and current 2022 Ranger have been extremely reliable with basically zero issues.

I'm starting to feel like the new Ranger is the Bronco pickup, and Ford will be happy with 5k sales a month.  The Raptors is surely class leading and priced well, but I see the rest of the lineup as a low seller.

I saw a new Colorado Z71 on a dealers lot, and compared to the Lariat I priced to order, it's a bargain. $49k with sunroof and ventilated seats......Lariat roughly $53k with 2.7......and no sunroof or ventilated seats. 

No way I can buy a GM, but it gets harder to get a Lariat.......$1k order discount will help.

While the MY24 Build & Price is up, the A/Z-Plan version is not. Has anyone run the numbers yet, I'm curious if Ford has trimmed back the discount percentage (ala Maverick)?  When I run the numbers on a MY23 build, there's about $2800 off,  curious if a similar discount applies to MY24.

HRG

3 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I'm starting to feel like the new Ranger is the Bronco pickup, and Ford will be happy with 5k sales a month.  The Raptors is surely class leading and priced well, but I see the rest of the lineup as a low seller.

I saw a new Colorado Z71 on a dealers lot, and compared to the Lariat I priced to order, it's a bargain. $49k with sunroof and ventilated seats......Lariat roughly $53k with 2.7......and no sunroof or ventilated seats. 

No way I can buy a GM, but it gets harder to get a Lariat.......$1k order discount will help.

Kinda makes you wonder if ford should have just built the bronco truck instead? They could charge higher prices and benefit more from parts sharing with the bronco.

18 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

While the MY24 Build & Price is up, the A/Z-Plan version is not. Has anyone run the numbers yet, I'm curious if Ford has trimmed back the discount percentage (ala Maverick)?  When I run the numbers on a MY23 build, there's about $2800 off,  curious if a similar discount applies to MY24.

HRG

Ford really narrowed the gap between invoice and MSRP on lower priced vehicles.  Focus and Fiesta were as little as $600 in some cases.  I think Ranger should stay about the same.

4 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I'm starting to feel like the new Ranger is the Bronco pickup, and Ford will be happy with 5k sales a month. 

I’d say 10k once they get all the models and options available.  But of course they’ll take Bronco sales over Ranger if it comes down to that.

Fuzzy - what do you think the probability of Ford adding a 3rd shift is?  

I understand a lot of the criticism surrounding what appears to be a slow rollout of what would arguably be some of Ranger’s best features, and potentially missing features.  So is it related to concerns about capacity constraints, or is it related to Ford’s recent quality push to initially get the truck out the door without issues as has been opined here?

It is a very curious situation to not put your best foot forward at the introduction, with so many competitors putting out new products at the same time with feature you don’t have, such as sunroof and ventilated seats, which Ford should have been able to predict they would have.  Those features are very common features these days, and would be options that I would want.  I know the RR is certainly a best foot forward, but it is also a limited production vehicle, and will not be the volume seller.  

This does feel like a half-assed approach to a segment that Ford has the ability to dominate, but is giving the impression they lack the interest in doing so.  As a Ford enthusiast, I don’t understand it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tbone said:

Fuzzy - what do you think the probability of Ford adding a 3rd shift is?  

I understand a lot of the criticism surrounding what appears to be a slow rollout of what would arguably be some of Ranger’s best features, and potentially missing features.  So is it related to concerns about capacity constraints, or is it related to Ford’s recent quality push to initially get the truck out the door without issues as has been opined here?

It is a very curious situation to not put your best foot forward at the introduction, with so many competitors putting out new products at the same time with feature you don’t have, such as sunroof and ventilated seats, which Ford should have been able to predict they would have.  Those features are very common features these days, and would be options that I would want.  I know the RR is certainly a best foot forward, but it is also a limited production vehicle, and will not be the volume seller.  

This does feel like a half-assed approach to a segment that Ford has the ability to dominate, but is giving the impression they lack the interest in doing so.  As a Ford enthusiast, I don’t understand it.  

They can barely get enough parts to keep 2 shifts busy.  I think that’s a huge factor along with keeping the launch simple.

13 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

What is shown isn't class leading in this market, It is a phone in to show we are in the market but don't really care because we already have maxed out production in the plant and the other product at that plant is more important than this. 

There’s a growing number of people at MAP who believe this. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, akirby said:

They can barely get enough parts to keep 2 shifts busy.  I think that’s a huge factor along with keeping the launch simple.

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The company has wanted to for a few years but supply chain issues continue to prevent it. 

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There’s a growing number of people at MAP who believe this. 

It sounds like it could be a combination of a number of things, but parts supply does appear to be a major issue, and as a business, you are in it to make money, so you will prioritize a product that makes the most money. 

It still doesn’t explain the lack of sunroof and AC seats.  I would expect those can be found in the corporate parts bin, perhaps from the Explorer.  I had read that a Ford rep at Camp Woodbury claimed that there are no plans to offer one “for now,” which doesn’t necessarily mean forever of course.  

Regardless of launch simplicity, I find this to be an unforced error for competitiveness.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I’d say 10k once they get all the models and options available.  But of course they’ll take Bronco sales over Ranger if it comes down to that.

The current Ranger saw sales hit 10,000 a month very few times in it's 5 year run and it's best year was just over 100,000 in 2020. With the competition putting more effort into the midsized market with more combinations and better pricing not to mention the much more affordable Maverick sharing the showroom I think this Ranger will be a slow seller.

Does Ford care? Not really. I like the Ranger, but definitely an afterthought vehicle. This one is even more so then the previous one when you consider they actually did a big marketing campaign for the 2019. Most people probably don't even know a new Ranger is coming. Ford almost seems embarrassed to market it against the competition. Not a good start to a new vehicle line. The 2019 had a much stronger start and people were a lot more excited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

The 2019 had a much stronger start and people were a lot more excited.

I remember back then, people on here thought it would de-throne Toyota.  Funny enough, Tacoma sales actually increased after the 5G was re-introduced into the NA market.

HRG

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

The current Ranger saw sales hit 10,000 a month very few times in it's 5 year run and it's best year was just over 100,000 in 2020. With the competition putting more effort into the midsized market with more combinations and better pricing not to mention the much more affordable Maverick sharing the showroom I think this Ranger will be a slow seller.

Does Ford care? Not really. I like the Ranger, but definitely an afterthought vehicle. This one is even more so then the previous one when you consider they actually did a big marketing campaign for the 2019. Most people probably don't even know a new Ranger is coming. Ford almost seems embarrassed to market it against the competition. Not a good start to a new vehicle line. The 2019 had a much stronger start and people were a lot more excited.

Why would they market a new one before it even starts production?  Especially when they’re still trying to sell the old one.  

It’s not a priority but it’s not as bad as you guys are making it sound.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Why would they market a new one before it even starts production?  Especially when they’re still trying to sell the old one.  

Maybe because the order bank has already been open for 3+ weeks?  If the whole intent is to stop filling dealers lots with un-sold inventory, they NEED customer orders to start scheduling builds.

HRG

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Maybe because the order bank has already been open for 3+ weeks?  If the whole intent is to stop filling dealers lots with un-sold inventory, they NEED customer orders to start scheduling builds.

HRG

They don’t even start building retail orders for a few weeks after job 1.  They want a slow rollout.  A lot are waiting for the 2.7 and or Supercab or Tremor.  If sales are still way down after those are available THEN it’s a problem.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 11:05 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

I'd recommend having a Dealer enter your vehicle specifications in the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Ordering) system. They'll then be able to generate the pricing available, including the A/X/Z/D plan pricing if available. 

WBDO_Plan Price Display_Selection.jpg

WBDO_Plan Price Display.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

On 6/18/2023 at 11:24 AM, akirby said:

Ford really narrowed the gap between invoice and MSRP on lower priced vehicles.  Focus and Fiesta were as little as $600 in some cases.  I think Ranger should stay about the same.

The Fiesta pricing gap from MSRP to Dealer Invoice was as little as $200 or less. 

On 6/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, akirby said:

Someone really has to wonder about the planning and forecast failures for the MAP plant. The plant isn't operating to capacity for various factors, lack of a 3rd shift and/or labor shortages in particular, and production skewed to the more profitable Bronco which still has an overwhelming retail order backlog. Ford then introduces a next generation Ranger that, other than the new Raptor model, doesn't yet provide enough upgraded features to be fully competitive with the also all-new competition. 

Setting aside the unforeseen market changes the past few years, it would seem that plant capacity issues have Ford in a difficult position. Based on the Bronco demand, it appears that MAP could easily run at capacity producing Bronco alone and maximizing profits which would leave Ranger without a home for production with the lack of another available plant for Ranger production. 

Again, it just makes one wonder about the planning, sales forecasting, plant utilization, etc. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I'd recommend having a Dealer enter your vehicle specifications in the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Ordering) system. They'll then be able to generate the pricing available, including the A/X/Z/D plan pricing if available.

Thank you sir, I'll do that.

HRG

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Someone really has to wonder about the planning and forecast failures for the MAP plant. The plant isn't operating to capacity for various factors, lack of a 3rd shift and/or labor shortages in particular, and production skewed to the more profitable Bronco which still has an overwhelming retail order backlog. Ford then introduces a next generation Ranger that, other than the new Raptor model, doesn't yet provide enough upgraded features to be fully competitive with the also all-new competition. 

Setting aside the unforeseen market changes the past few years, it would seem that plant capacity issues have Ford in a difficult position. Based on the Bronco demand, it appears that MAP could easily run at capacity producing Bronco alone and maximizing profits which would leave Ranger without a home for production with the lack of another available plant for Ranger production. 

Again, it just makes one wonder about the planning, sales forecasting, plant utilization, etc. 

They should definitely be assessing suppliers.  Maybe their poor treatment of suppliers in general is coming back to bite them.

Fuzzy said even when they try to do overtime they run out of parts,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

They should definitely be assessing suppliers.  Maybe their poor treatment of suppliers in general is coming back to bite them.

Fuzzy said even when they try to do overtime they run out of parts,

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wildosvt said:

The final 375 Ranger is making its way thru the plant. 

It ended up getting a full 5 model year cycle. Not bad for something that was originally just supposed to be a temporary "stop-gap" model. A bit over 350,000+ were produced. I had a 2019 SuperCrew FX4 and now have a 2022 SuperCrew Tremor. No complaints. Both proved to be very capable, well built, and reliable midsized trucks.

• Like 8