10 Trucks Vanish From Dearborn Lots in a Single Day as F-150, Raptor Thefts Escalate

10 Trucks Vanish from Dearborn Lots in a Single Day as F-150, Raptor Thefts Escalate

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2023/08/14/ford-raptor-f150-dearborn-thefts/70564466007/

Detroit Free Press_2023-08-14_2023 F-150.jpg

Fifteen Ford F-150 pickups and high-performance Raptor trucks vanished from Dearborn holding lots within the first eight days of August -- 10 of them stolen on Thursday alone.

A month earlier, Ford Motor Co. reported 22 F-150 trucks had gone missing from Dearborn holding lots, mostly Raptor models, according to police data obtained by the Detroit Free Press through the state Freedom of Information Act.

A lot of money is at stake: A 2023 Raptor starts at $76,775 not including fees and delivery charges. A Raptor R starts at $107,350. And the 2023 Ford F-150 ranges from $33,695 to $84,910, according to Ford.com.

Ford is currently on track this year to exceed its truck theft rate from Dearborn holding lots in 2022, based on data reviewed by the Free Press.

Not only is Ford losing millions of dollars in product to theft but residents of Dearborn are directly affected because crime rates can affect car and home insurance rates. A Dearborn city spokesperson declined to comment.

Estimating the cost of vehicles at the most conservative pricing, Ford lost more than $8 million in F-Series vehicle thefts in 2022 alone from Dearborn holding lots.

In 2023, Ford reported theft of 85 pickups with the most stolen in July (23), early August (15) and January (13). On top of the F-150s, Ford reported the loss of four Mustangs (and three non-Ford vehicles parked on site). A new Mustang starts at $27,770.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

I would love to see where these trucks are being stored, how they’re inventoried, what security protocols are in place, and the evidence that’s been collected by law-enforcement so far. It’s not like it’s a pack and gum at a convenience store. Clearly, it’s an organized effort.

It appears forged paperwork has been used in a number of cases but it makes me wonder if it is also some kind of Gone In 60 Seconds scenario of some kind where these trucks are being packed into the shipping containers and sent overseas. 

Nevertheless, the situation is pretty ridiculous that they can’t protect their products better.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I would love to see where these trucks are being stored, how they’re inventoried, what security protocols are in place, and the evidence that’s been collected by law-enforcement so far. It’s not like it’s a pack and gum at a convenience store. Clearly, it’s an organized effort.

It appears forged paperwork has been used in a number of cases but it makes me wonder if it is also some kind of Gone In 60 Seconds scenario of some kind where these trucks are being packed into the shipping containers and sent overseas. 

Nevertheless, the situation is pretty ridiculous that they can’t protect their products better.  

With knowing how it all works, Remember this. "A lock keeps an honest person honest". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

You think Ford actually communicates regularly with the local PD on these incidents? There might be a phone call but its all "handled by Ford security"

Well, that would be quite ridiculous. If in fact that was true. I’m guessing that Ford is self insured for things of this nature, because I would not anticipate an insurance company being satisfied with a company investigating their own loss.  The value of these losses are substantial, and I would anticipate that they are crossing state lines either physically, or electronically in the coordination of the thefts. Law-enforcement would certainly have more resources available to them than Ford.  

On 8/15/2023 at 6:31 PM, tbone said:

Well, that would be quite ridiculous. If in fact that was true. I’m guessing that Ford is self insured for things of this nature, 

Ford self-insures, just like on the medical side. It is ridiculous but also the state of things.They have catastrophic coverage for plants etc but those deductibles could be 100million+ it doesn't really make sense for claims under that. Even dealerships are very careful when they use their insurance. Eating the cost of 3 vehicles if someone goes off the road into their lot or a vehicle or two is stolen.  The loss is sometimes better than the rate increase that will come if you put in a $200,000 claim. 

All places around Detroit are being hit, it isn't just Ford specific. (GM lost some Corvettes that were parked in the Tech Center, Jeep plant in Detroit gets hit weekly). GM has the advantage though with Onstar is that they can remotely kill the vehicle. 

There isn't a lot of appetite on the Criminal Justice side to do anything about it with the leadership that controls the State of Michigan, Wayne and Oakland County. They could easily harden the laws for car theft and the problem would evaporate. They also need to start charging and prosecuting the parents / guardians of the minors. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Ford self-insures, just like on the medical side. It is ridiculous but also the state of things.They have catastrophic coverage for plants etc but those deductibles could be 100million+ it doesn't really make sense for claims under that. Even dealerships are very careful when they use their insurance. Eating the cost of 3 vehicles if someone goes off the road into their lot or a vehicle or two is stolen.  The loss is sometimes better than the rate increase that will come if you put in a $200,000 claim. 

All places around Detroit are being hit, it isn't just Ford specific. (GM lost some Corvettes that were parked in the Tech Center, Jeep plant in Detroit gets hit weekly). GM has the advantage though with Onstar is that they can remotely kill the vehicle. 

There isn't a lot of appetite on the Criminal Justice side to do anything about it with the leadership that controls the State of Michigan, Wayne and Oakland County. They could easily harden the laws for car theft and the problem would evaporate. They also need to start charging and prosecuting the parents / guardians of the minors. 

So basically it’s lawlessness over there.  It will be interesting to see how long the public will be willing to endure this.  It certainly isn’t limited to just auto manufacturers around there being impacted.  I’m glad I live somewhere where it isn’t accepted.  

1 hour ago, tbone said:

So basically it’s lawlessness over there.  It will be interesting to see how long the public will be willing to endure this.  It certainly isn’t limited to just auto manufacturers around there being impacted.  I’m glad I live somewhere where it isn’t accepted.  

Not complete lawless, they actually announced today they found and charged  people that had stolen the 10 Raptor Broncos a few months back, but what what typically happens is they get charged plead out and end up doing something similar. $100,000 bond 10% and house arrest w/gps. The jails are over crowed and the cost is $$$$ so it becomes a budget issue too. It’s also criminal enterprise doing this as well, vehicles parted out or shipped overseas in fast order.  

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2023/08/17/ford-bronco-raptor-thefts-arrests-charges-canton-township/70610155007/ - article on it. 

Edited by jasonj80
added article link
  • Like 1

Years ago I had a buddy who went into Montreal with his F-250 pickup for a Softball tournament with a girl he was dating at time and her daughter

Anyways, long story short, his truck got boosted (he even had lojack on it, doesn't work in Canada!) and he had all of his tools on it too (was a handyman)...apparently a few other high end SUVs that where part of the group got boosted in Six Flags too when they visited. 

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I can’t speak on Oakland County because their politics are complicated out there, especially after L. Brooks Patterson died. Wayne County’s prosecutor is good, she’s had a very good reputation for being tough on crime. 

Now the state attorney general, she’s a partisan hack who blindly follows whatever the Gretchen Whitmer administration and Democrat party tells her to do so I don’t anticipate much, if any, help at the state level. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can’t speak on Oakland County because their politics are complicated out there, especially after L. Brooks Patterson died. Wayne County’s prosecutor is good, she’s had a very good reputation for being tough on crime. 

Now the state attorney general, she’s a partisan hack who blindly follows whatever the Gretchen Whitmer administration and Democrat party tells her to do so I don’t anticipate much, if any, help at the state level. 

exactly -- Kim worthy is great, it's the hack judges downtown that are the real problem that undermine that office. 

This isn’t a new problem. Every year we here stories like this. GT350’s and Explorers one year. Crime rings exist and with bare minimum security on these lots, it’s a the low hanging fruit. 

i just never understood stood why parking garages near me have spike barriers to prevent you from leaving to ensure they get your 20 bucks but automakers can’t do this for $80,000 vehicles. Seems like the, “we’ve always done it this way” excuse.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, jcartwright99 said:

This isn’t a new problem. Every year we here stories like this. GT350’s and Explorers one year. Crime rings exist and with bare minimum security on these lots, it’s a the low hanging fruit. 

i just never understood stood why parking garages near me have spike barriers to prevent you from leaving to ensure they get your 20 bucks but automakers can’t do this for $80,000 vehicles. Seems like the, “we’ve always done it this way” excuse.

It’s shocking they have such poor security for such expensive items.  They apparently feel there is an acceptable level of loss associated with the storage.  

On 8/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, tbone said:

Ford really needs to improve how their treat the customer cars still on their lots for sure. Not only are they getting stolen a lot, but they're very prone to being damaged from the elements amongst other things. It's kinda insane that Ford will build you like a new explorer or ranger, then leave it out for weeks, if not months, risking it being damaged, then transporting it to the dealer after the fact. 

I know it would be expensive and take some time, but could someone please explain to me why Ford, a brand sitting on over 45 billion in cash, can't just build an enclosed warehouse on-site, or nearby that protected cars from the elements and thefts? They're just sitting there with 10s of millions of dollars in product out in the open, in Detroit, of all places, and acting surprised when people are stealing their cars. Kinda insane to me. It would be like owning a jewelry store in downtown L.A. leaving all the jewelry out in the open, then taking a lunch break. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iamweasel said:

It may not be Ford's problem.  Many of those lots are owned and operated by the transport companies, so they "own" the trucks at that point, not Ford.  

Vehicles are consigned via contract to transport companies which are responsible for damages and/or theft, but they do not "own" the vehicles. The vehicles are the property of Ford Motor Company until delivered to the destination Dealer, inspected and the Bill of Lading signed by the dealership representative accepting the vehicle. 

17 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Vehicles are consigned via contract to transport companies which are responsible for damages and/or theft, but they do not "own" the vehicles. The vehicles are the property of Ford Motor Company until delivered to the destination Dealer, inspected and the Bill of Lading signed by the dealership representative accepting the vehicle. 

When I said "own" in quotes like that I meant the transport companies were the responsible parties and any trucks stolen from the transporter's lot would be on the transporter's insurance, not Fords.  I understand they don't legally own the units.  

With the OEM I work with now, at gate release (when the unit is handed over to the transporter) they invoice us for the unit, add the vehicle to our floorplan and the MCO is sent as well.   The transporter is still responsible for any in-transit damage or filing an insurance claim if the truck is lost/stolen.  

I just had 2 trucks stolen from the transport lot a few months ago.  They found one undamaged a few days later but the other was never recovered, so the OEM cancelled the invoice, recalled the MCO, removed the truck from our floorplan and then collected payment for the lost truck from the transporter's insurance company.  

• Like 1