F-150 Lobo Coming As a More Street Oriented model?

I kept seeing the stories but always thought it was referring to the Mexican f150. I’m curious how this will play out? Will this be like the old school lightning? Maybe like the Harley Davidson? Or a much more simple package like FX2? I’d be happy with something similar to any of those.

12 hours ago, tbone said:

Or just the 5.0 with the Ford Performance supercharger if they wanted to do it a little cheaper. 

What about 7.3L V8 (or 6.8L) if wanting to go cheaper?  The supercharger could be an aftermarket addition on top of that for those wanting 700 HP or more, assuming it’s legal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rick73 said:

What about 7.3L V8 (or 6.8L) if wanting to go cheaper?  The supercharger could be an aftermarket addition on top of that for those wanting 700 HP or more, assuming it’s legal.

I don't think either of those are geared for performance, no?

Ford Lobo was and still is the "retail" version of F-150 in Mexico since the F-series name is associated with work truck south of the border. 

Lobo has multiple trim levels that roughly covered the same ground as F-150 XLT, Lariat, Tremor, Platinum, and Limited did north of the border (there is no King Ranch in Mexico... because Texas is a sore subject). 

Curious what Ford plans to do with the name in the US. 

8 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Those engines are kinda shit compared to the 5.0 and 5.2, at least as far as performance engines go. I can't comprehend why the car community has been obsessed with suggesting them for performance applications. They're heavy, sluggish revving, and have relatively low redlines, literally the opposite of what you'd want in a performance vehicle. 

Their only plus is they make a lot of power with forced induction, but so does the 5.0. 

On a side note, could this make an appearance at the Detroit auto show in a few weeks? We know Ford is doing two reveals, we know one will be the f-150 refresh, they're being coy about what the other could be. 

They love showing off concepts at Detroit, so maybe a preview of the electric explorer or T3? Potentially the expedition refresh? It's probably not going to be yet another mustang model, and I don't believe anything related to the bronco/bronco sport has been hinted at. Edge and escape are being killed off, so it's not that. We'll see I guess.

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Those engines are kinda shit compared to the 5.0 and 5.2, at least as far as performance engines go. I can't comprehend why the car community has been obsessed with suggesting them for performance applications. They're heavy, sluggish revving, and have relatively low redlines, literally the opposite of what you'd want in a performance vehicle. 

Their only plus is they make a lot of power with forced induction, but so does the 5.0. 

On a side note, could this make an appearance at the Detroit auto show in a few weeks? We know Ford is doing two reveals, we know one will be the f-150 refresh, they're being coy about what the other could be. 

They love showing off concepts at Detroit, so maybe a preview of the electric explorer or T3? Potentially the expedition refresh? It's probably not going to be yet another mustang model, and I don't believe anything related to the bronco/bronco sport has been hinted at. Edge and escape are being killed off, so it's not that. We'll see I guess.

Nothing against the 5.0 - it’s a great engine, but I don’t know why an aluminum 6.8 wouldn’t be lighter than the 5.0 with excellent performance potential. The small block Chevy motor has been successfully used for everything from family cars to light trucks to Corvettes for more than half a century. A performance tuned 6.8 would surely be cheaper to build than the 5.0.

7-800 hp n/a is seemingly pretty easy out of the Godzilla with bolt ons. 1200++++ (have seen 1700) w/boost. Whether it can pass emissions or durability requirements at those levels is unknown, but calling them shit is a little off. The dohc stuff is cool in the sports cars,  but a nasty pushrod v8 will always have a spot in my yard. 450, 550, and 800+ horse 460s sitting in mine. That said, the 5.0/5.2 is much more likely and probably makes more sense in the 150.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

They love showing off concepts at Detroit, so maybe a preview of the electric explorer or T3? Potentially the expedition refresh? It's probably not going to be yet another Mustang model, and I don't believe anything related to the Bronco/Bronco sport has been hinted at. Edge and escape are being killed off, so it's not that. We'll see I guess.

I guess the f150 and the Explorer refresh

I wonder when they plan to show the Aviator

Edited by joseodiaga4

18 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Nothing against the 5.0 - it’s a great engine, but I don’t know why an aluminum 6.8 wouldn’t be lighter than the 5.0 with excellent performance potential. The small block Chevy motor has been successfully used for everything from family cars to light trucks to Corvettes for more than half a century. A performance tuned 6.8 would surely be cheaper to build than the 5.0.

Because the supercharged 5.2 already exists and more than 700-800 hp is just not feasible as a daily driver.

33 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

7-800 hp n/a is seemingly pretty easy out of the Godzilla with bolt ons. 1200++++ (have seen 1700) w/boost. Whether it can pass emissions or durability requirements at those levels is unknown, but calling them shit is a little off. The dohc stuff is cool in the sports cars,  but a nasty pushrod v8 will always have a spot in my yard. 450, 550, and 800+ horse 460s sitting in mine. That said, the 5.0/5.2 is much more likely and probably makes more sense in the 150.

I mean, the 7.3 has had some longevity issues that are pretty severe, and you have a dump a ton of money into modding it just to equal the 5.0. It's an ok truck engine, but not really suited for performance applications. 

36 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I just don't see the market for adding yet another high performance V8 when Ford already has the excellent coyote, and predator. Especially for a niche model. 

6 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I mean, the 7.3 has had some longevity issues that are pretty severe, and you have a dump a ton of money into modding it just to equal the 5.0. It's an ok truck engine, but not really suited for performance applications. 

What? It makes more power stock to stock in a truck

I doubt the supercharged 5.2 would be used; I think they want the Raptor R to remain their fastest truck for now.

My bets are, if this comes to fruition and they want to make a better attempt at a street truck than the 2014 Tremor, the 5.0, 3.5, or 3.5 HO.

I also would not expect a single cab at all.