Ranger getting PHEV 2.3L

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

if Toyota sells 100k Tacoma hybrid in the first 6 months, you bet your ass Ford will find a way to offer it here.

As I noted earlier in the thread, I predict we will see the PHEV first in the Bronco midcycle update. Then it will trickle down to Ranger. 

That 2.4 turbo hybrid engine is standard across the board in the 2024 Tacoma.

I’m wondering if the 2.7 EB engine is going away in Bronco, replaced by the 2.3 PHEV

leaving 2.3 EB as the base engine, the 2.3 PHEV as premium engine and 3.0 EB in Raptors.

11 hours ago, bzcat said:

if Toyota sells 100k Tacoma hybrid in the first 6 months, you bet your ass Ford will find a way to offer it here.

As I noted earlier in the thread, I predict we will see the PHEV first in the Bronco midcycle update. Then it will trickle down to Ranger. 

If they bring a PHEV Bronco to market, I am getting one. Period.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’m wondering if the 2.7 EB engine is going away in Bronco, replaced by the 2.3 PHEV

leaving 2.3 EB as the base engine, the 2.3 PHEV as premium engine and 3.0 EB in Raptors.

I can see that happening as CAFE gets more onerous. It would solve slotting issues with different engines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’m also wondering which 2.3L Ford will use in PHEV Ranger.  I’d expect a variant of the all-new 2.3L from 2024 Mustang and not the older 2.3L EB, particularly if the new engine was developed with future HEV and PHEV applications in mind.

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

IDK, the 2.7 is a stellar engine, and a great match for the bronco. Maybe offer the 2.3 hybrid as an option in between the ICE 2.3 and 2.7. 

19 hours ago, Rick73 said:

carscoops reference Car and Driver article, and C&D claim Ford spokesperson mentioned F-150 PHEV?  Doesn’t seem very accurate reporting.

Ranger PHEV with only 28 miles range (based on European WLTP, which means less by EPA) would likely have limited demand, so not surprising.  Range estimate being WLTP is also from Car and Driver.

“A Ford spokesperson told Car and Driver that the company believes it offers alternatives with the Maverick hybrid as well as the F-150 plug-in hybrid and F-150 Lightning EV.“

That's a poor excuse, but also doesn't mean anything.  With the current strike issues, announcing something like that wouldn't be totally beneficial anyway.

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

After they just added that powertrain to the Ranger line?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It wouldn't happen most likely for another 24-36 months anyways...and most likely go to the Bronco first, since it is due a refresh

Yes, the announcement about PHEV Ranger on Ford Australia website says coming in 2025 which could be up to two years away from now. Probably first refresh.

Edited by jpd80

23 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If anything, this is all about vehicle option after first product cycle refresh. So of course Ford won’t discuss that before Bronco refresh and US Ranger refresh will probably be +3years after next Gen Ranger finally launches in the US. By that time a BEV Ranger might be getting close…..

The wildcard here is 2024 Toyota Tacoma with 2.4 turbo hybrid across the board, if sales really take off, you can bet that Ford will sit up and take notice…especially if fuel economy is superior to Rangers.

Lots of the T6 engineering team have been terminated in Australia as only a small crew is required for MCE work through to 2032. Ford NA is expected to take control of Ranger/Bronco engineering beyond 2028.

Edited by jpd80

The PHEV Ranger option is supposed to be coming to Australian market in 2025, I would assume in the later part of the year. Thinking this might be the question for diesel buyers to switch, I could see the PHEV being similar cost/price as maybe the V6 diesel with similar power torque. Maybe better economy in urban driving where regen braking makes a big difference.

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The PHEV Ranger option is supposed to be coming to Australian market in 2025, I would assume in the later part of the year. Thinking this might be the question for diesel buyers to switch, I could see the PHEV being similar cost/price as maybe the V6 diesel with similar power torque. Maybe better economy in urban driving where regen braking makes a big difference.

As replacement for diesel, why go to added expense of PHEV versus less expensive HEV which accomplishes pretty much the same, except for the 28-mile all-electric range?  I expect Australia is different, but diesel in US seems to attract buyers who tow a lot, or drive many miles annually.  Plug-in capability has least value compared to regular hybrid for that kind of use IMO.  In US the hybrid F-150 PowerBoost succeeded when the diesel did not, and that was without plug-in option.

The limited 28-mile range suggests a relatively small battery, providing the PHEV Ranger only two functional advantages I can think of over an HEV:  Minimal all-electric driving, and a more useful Pro Power Onboard.  A larger battery should make Pro Power Onboard even better, something I really like.  Unless a PHEV has close to 50 miles of range, I just don’t see enough added value, with possible exception of more robust PPO.

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

As replacement for diesel, why go to added expense of PHEV versus less expensive HEV which accomplishes pretty much the same, except for the 28-mile all-electric range? I expect Australia is different, but diesel in US seems to attract buyers who tow a lot, or drive many miles annually.  Plug-in capability has least value compared to regular hybrid for that kind of use IMO.  In US the hybrid F-150 PowerBoost succeeded when the diesel did not, and that was without plug-in option.

The only thing I can think of is probably on site power for tradies and those going bush camping.

The limited 28-mile range suggests a relatively small battery, providing the PHEV Ranger only two functional advantages I can think of over an HEV:  Minimal all-electric driving, and a more useful Pro Power Onboard.  A larger battery should make Pro Power Onboard even better, something I really like.  Unless a PHEV has close to 50 miles of range, I just don’t see enough added value, with possible exception of more robust PPO.

Since this is coming in about two years time, 

Its also very useful in lowering emissions on the world cycle - Australia is being encouraged to follow reduced GHG targets and the PHEV also qualifies Australian government  incentive to buy over diesel.

Hybrid and PHEV seems to be on everyone’s lips here at the moment, so maybe Ford is trying to capture  slightly different buyers as we have limited access to other Ford vehicles like Puma and Escape so pushing a PHEV Ranger is probably Fords way of keeping the price and profits up.

A lot of Rangers also used as commute vehicles in Australia, the average distance is much less that in the US so probably enough range for most buyers but suspect the  small PHEV range was done for other less obvious reasons but probably good all round mix of performance, a bit of electric range and on site power without a heavy battery affecting payload or GCWR too much.

Edited by jpd80

PHEV with all electric range is required in Europe so the vehicle can access congestion zones in places like London.

The ProPower is also important because Ranger is Ford's largest truck in most markets so they are used by trades people like F-150 is used here.

Diesel replacement is all about running costs, not necessarily towing power in most of the markets. Gasoline-only trucks probably cost twice as much to run as diesel in most countries in Europe, and perhaps Australia. If Ford can match or exceed the per-mile running costs of diesel, PLUS the bonus of able to enter congestion zones for free, PLUS ProPower benefits, it will be a very appealing product over Hilux, which may or may not get the hybrid power from Tacoma. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 5:45 AM, Rick73 said:

As replacement for diesel, why go to added expense of PHEV versus less expensive HEV which accomplishes pretty much the same, except for the 28-mile all-electric range?  I expect Australia is different, but diesel in US seems to attract buyers who tow a lot, or drive many miles annually.  Plug-in capability has least value compared to regular hybrid for that kind of use IMO.  In US the hybrid F-150 PowerBoost succeeded when the diesel did not, and that was without plug-in option.

The 28 mile EV range is very attractive to me. That is enough for all of my in town driving. The larger HVB will also make the PPO more robust and efficient.

I’m in a funk with the depressing rumors that it is not coming to USA.

6 hours ago, Texasota said:

The 28 mile EV range is very attractive to me. That is enough for all of my in town driving. The larger HVB will also make the PPO more robust and efficient.

I’m in a funk with the depressing rumors that it is not coming to USA.

I also like combination of PHEV with Pro Power Onboard, but for me it would have most value if installed in a Transit van I could use for traveling and camping.  Just got back from week of typical camping, except depending on portable generator, and its hassle reminded me of how great having PPO would be.  Portable generators and their fuel are a royal PITA.  HEV with PPO would have made trip much better, but the larger high voltage battery of a PHEV that could power air conditioner overnight would be near priceless.  I would pay a large premium just for the seamless convenience.  Even if the Ford 2.3L PHEV powertrain doesn’t make it to US Ranger, I hope it makes it to US Transit at some point.  Done right demand would be high IMO.

• Like 1