Lightning production to be cut in half for 2024

I think the original lightning production plan was about 50k a year; this cut is still above that. They jumped the gun with increasing production.

Sidenote, and this is just an opinion, consumers are not rewarding the automakers and its dealer network (and other companies) for (what I saw as) price gouging during the pandemic and chip shortage.

I do think Farley is right in believing that EVs should be differentiated from ICE counterparts so I'm excited to see what project T3 brings! If plans dont change...

Edited by Willwll313wll

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought they built to orders/reservations to begin with.

we had more interest  in PROS than anything else....we couldnt get em, and here was no allocation...initially barring the onesys and twosies were just the mega buck versions, and that was BEFORE the 10 k MSRP drop....the other issue was from order date to delivery...something we are still putting up with on ICE vehicles people actually want...Transits are an absolute $hitshow.... Ive got one guy ordered a 22, flipped to a 23, and still hasnt arrived after  18 months....

11 hours ago, Willwll313wll said:

I think the original lightning production plan was about 50k a year; this cut is still above that. They jumped the gun with increasing production.

Sidenote, and this is just an opinion, consumers are not rewarding the automakers and its dealer network (and other companies) for (what I saw as) price gouging during the pandemic and chip shortage.

I do think Farley is right in believing that EVs should be differentiated from ICE counterparts so I'm excited to see what project T3 brings! If plans dont change...

I feel like they should be differentiated, but in the right way. It sounds like Farley is pushing for them to be different above all else, but seems to have lost his way in terms of being able to distinguish between good and bad kinds of different. That scares me. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 8:18 AM, Chrisgb said:

I think the mandate is ridiculous on another count. Right now, we're in a chicken vs egg period. the infrastructure is going to take time to build out to where we have chargers everywhere, just like cell service in its infancy. Antennas initially were only in the densest population centers and along the most travelled Interstates; exit an outstate freeway and you usually lost coverage. I think many small businesses are reluctant to invest what are large sums of money for them to install chargers, when there is not enough demand to make a profit currently, but I believe more people would buy a BEV if they were confident that they didn't have to stay in their range radius in order to charge at home.

I don't think you can't put mandates on supply and demand, it virtually guarantees imbalances.

And to carry that a step further, our political system includes too many elected officials that are in lock-step with their corporate puppet masters that have profit driven agendas which may not be in the public's best interest but are force fed to the public anyway by means of political campaign contributions. In other words...money talks. The end result is that the politicians and corporations get rich while the tax payers are forced to fund questionable programs.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

And to carry that a step further, our political system includes too many elected officials that are in lock-step with their corporate puppet masters that have profit driven agendas which may not be in the public's best interest but are force fed to the public anyway by means of political campaign contributions. In other words...money talks. The end result is that the politicians and corporations get rich while the tax payers are forced to fund questionable programs.

Lobbying should be illegal.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, blksn8k2 said:

And to carry that a step further, our political system includes too many elected officials that are in lock-step with their corporate puppet masters that have profit driven agendas which may not be in the public's best interest

Let’s not get too carried away.  A lot of those corporate puppet masters employ a LOT of people with well paying jobs and those employees pay a LOT of taxes.  Legislation can affect those employees especially in the tech and telecom industry.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:33 AM, rmc523 said:

Lobbying should be illegal.

That's kind of impossible. It's right there in the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That is, basically, lobbying.

BEV's are not sustainable. It will take 40 years before our infrastructure can support them. Add in a mandate of no more natural gas/LP appliances and there is no way it can work. Heck even now under normal conditions there are peak alerts issued. And stop using "tax credits" to entice sales. That just means I have to pay more to make up the difference. China has a 6 year reprieve form global emission standards, I call BS. We suffer while the rest of the World gets a pass? Screw that.

1 hour ago, IA Diver said:

Add in a mandate of no more natural gas/LP appliances and there is no way it can work.

I have very difficult time following why they would want to replace things like my natural gas furnace or water heater with electric.  A furnace or water heater can use over 90% of natural gas energy, while if that same natural gas is used to make electricity, about half will be wasted as useless heat.  In theory if we then installed an extremely efficient heat pump, the net gain would be measurable in mild cold weather, but in really cold weather where most heat is actually required, the heat pump efficiency would be lower thereby reducing gains to next to nothing, or worse heat pump would shut off and switch to resistance heat as backup, losing overall efficiency and creating more GHGs.

I doubt it would save much overall if such mandates are applied to entire country, not just in places like California with mild weather, but what’s really insane is using limited resources to gain so little instead of focusing on where investment would accomplish most good.  Realistically, worldwide we are not even reducing coal consumption very effectively, so adding loads to electrical grids rather than reducing them should be questioned and evaluated very carefully.

Good points- There needs to be a realistic plan for GHG reduction instead of just throwing out tax credits and subsidies willy nilly which may accomplish nothing. I live within sight of a railroad that carries western coal to midwest power plants and while the volume of unit coal trains has dropped a bit, they still pass by every day.

8 hours ago, IA Diver said:

BEV's are not sustainable. It will take 40 years before our infrastructure can support them. 

There is going to be a lot of changes in the US economy over the next 20 years or longer-globalization as we know it now is going to rapidly change and the US is going to become more isolated by choice and not depend on China or other countries as much for materials. 

Other counties are going to be going into major demographic declines at the same time, so there are going to be a whole host of changes that we can’t even figure out now. 

There is huge push for reshoring industries in North America and a huge push for improving the electrical system to help support it too. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 7:25 AM, Rick73 said:

I have very difficult time following why they would want to replace things like my natural gas furnace or water heater with electric.  A furnace or water heater can use over 90% of natural gas energy, while if that same natural gas is used to make electricity, about half will be wasted as useless heat.  In theory if we then installed an extremely efficient heat pump, the net gain would be measurable in mild cold weather, but in really cold weather where most heat is actually required, the heat pump efficiency would be lower thereby reducing gains to next to nothing, or worse heat pump would shut off and switch to resistance heat as backup, losing overall efficiency and creating more GHGs.

I doubt it would save much overall if such mandates are applied to entire country, not just in places like California with mild weather, but what’s really insane is using limited resources to gain so little instead of focusing on where investment would accomplish most good.  Realistically, worldwide we are not even reducing coal consumption very effectively, so adding loads to electrical grids rather than reducing them should be questioned and evaluated very carefully.

conspiracy theory....all about control...if EVERYTHING is Electric, all it takes is a flick of a switch and youre screwed, but wait...if youd bought that BEV you could supply power to your house right?.....dont mention the lobbying pockets that are getting lined. Regulation is getting absolutlely ridiculous...and Id have to say California is the looniest...

• Like 1