GM Says It's Dropping Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Because They're Unsafe

silvrsvt

I can’t speak on Android Auto because I’ve never used it before but to suggest Apple CarPlay  ”…has stability issues that manifest themselves as bad connections, poor rendering, slow responses, and dropped connections” is utter bullshit in my experience. I’ve had iPhones for years going back to the iPhone 4g and never once had an issue with CarPlay. Neither has my wife. The only complaint I’ve ever had with it is how the CarPlay interface itself is by default brighter than the standard sync interface, even with the screen brightness set as low as it can go. 

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can’t speak on Android Auto because I’ve never used it before but to suggest Apple CarPlay  ”…has stability issues that manifest themselves as bad connections, poor rendering, slow responses, and dropped connections” is utter bullshit in my experience. I’ve had iPhones for years going back to the iPhone 4g and never once had an issue with CarPlay. Neither has my wife. The only complaint I’ve ever had with it is how the CarPlay interface itself is by default brighter than the standard sync interface, even with the screen brightness set as low as it can go. 

I've had some issues with carplay not connecting on my iphone with my Bronco, but normally shutting it down and restarting it fixed it. 

42 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I've had some issues with carplay not connecting on my iphone with my Bronco, but normally shutting it down and restarting it fixed it. 

Now that I think of it, I did have an issue connecting it with Bluetooth when I had an Edge rental but I decided hardwiring it was better anyway so I didn’t care. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah, I haven't had many issues with usability for CarPlay - I too have had a few random issues where it won't connect, but as you mention, restarting the car, or just plugging in usually fixes it.

I too don't like how it's brighter than the regular interface.  I'm also glad the Bronco's system (at least with the larger screen) lets me retain the Ford controls/partial screens "around" the Carplay window, so it's not the full CarPlay takeover of the screen.

This is just a GM excuse for the push-back from customers.

34 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I too don't like how it's brighter than the regular interface.

I don't seem to have this issue, but i'm guessing its because I have the carplay background set to black so the smaller screen doesn't look so small in the black plastic surround lol 

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I too don't like how it's brighter than the regular interface.  I'm also glad the Bronco's system (at least with the larger screen) lets me retain the Ford controls/partial screens "around" the Carplay window, so it's not the full CarPlay takeover of the screen.

I did notice on the couple of rentals I’ve had with the big tablet screens it was definitely much better. Just something I have to live with I guess since I won’t be replacing either of my cars any time soon. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I did notice on the couple of rentals I’ve had with the big tablet screens it was definitely much better. Just something I have to live with I guess since I won’t be replacing either of my cars any time soon. 

yeah with them embedding more and more into the main screen, it’s annoying to have to back out of CarPlay all the time with the smaller screens

Ok, so what do you guys use CarPlay for exactly?  I use sync 4 to read texts and Siri Eyes Free to send texts.  I have built in nav which works fine.  And I listen to Sirius xm or mp3s on a flash drive.  Am I missing something?  You can always stream music from your phone over Bluetooth.

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ok, so what do you guys use CarPlay for exactly?  I use sync 4 to read texts and Siri Eyes Free to send texts.  I have built in nav which works fine.  And I listen to Sirius xm or mp3s on a flash drive.  Am I missing something?  You can always stream music from your phone over Bluetooth.

Music, podcasts, read texts, send texts with voice-to-text, and the occasional phone call. 

Literally my only issue is the screen brightness. 

53 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I use mine mainly for nav. The maps in my built in nav are out of date now and I don’t feel like paying to upgrade it. Occasionally I’ll stream Apple Music or Amazon music.

Oh yeah I use it for that too. Never bothered figuring out how to use the built in nav in my Flex, Apple Maps has always done just fine. 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

On our new Corsair, I’ve noticed that CarPlay apparently has a night mode.  The screen isn’t nearly as bright at night.  Maybe that’s a feature that Sync 4 has available that earlier versions didn’t have.  I haven’t used CarPlay at night in my Mustang recently.  I’ll check that out later this week. 

Edited by CurtisH

19 hours ago, akirby said:

Since it's wireless now and automatically connects, I'll use it for making calls or occasionally having it read texts.  I'll also use it for Sirius XM controls when I rewind listening to news (i.e. starting an hour broadcast back at the start if I join late) - the car version can't do that.

When I had to plug it in for CarPlay, I barely used it unless on a trip.  The primary purpose I use it for either way is for GPS - waze and/or google are easier to find the address (and verify it's correct based on images and whatnot) than the built-in system - but I do like having the built-in map.

18 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh yeah I use it for that too. Never bothered figuring out how to use the built in nav in my Flex, Apple Maps has always done just fine. 

It's funny, when I do use the built-in Nav, I still say the prompts the way I had to in the Flex, rather than the more streamlined version they have now where you basically just say the address out loud.

20 hours ago, akirby said:

It offers easier/better integration of apps. I prefer to use waze for navigation and I use the SiriusXM app because its cheaper than paying for it through a radio and you get more stations.

I personally don't care for the way Sync4 looks and CarPlay works identically in any make of car-I've had Hyundai rentals that look exactly like my dash screen in my Ford products, which helps when driving a strange car I haven't before. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Music, podcasts, read texts, send texts with voice-to-text, and the occasional phone call. 

Literally my only issue is the screen brightness. 

For whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s a glitch, but in my Aviator if I find it too bright I lower the dimmer and it makes the screen darker—then I raise the dimmer back up so the rest of the cabin lighting is bright and the screen remains darker. Maybe that’s your fix if you haven’t tried that?

24 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It offers easier/better integration of apps. I prefer to use waze for navigation and I use the SiriusXM app because its cheaper than paying for it through a radio and you get more stations.

I personally don't care for the way Sync4 looks and CarPlay works identically in any make of car-I've had Hyundai rentals that look exactly like my dash screen in my Ford products, which helps when driving a strange car I haven't before. 

I love sync 4 in the Nautilus and I like the built in Nav.  So I guess I’m not missing anything after all.

13 hours ago, Bellanca said:

For whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s a glitch, but in my Aviator if I find it too bright I lower the dimmer and it makes the screen darker—then I raise the dimmer back up so the rest of the cabin lighting is bright and the screen remains darker. Maybe that’s your fix if you haven’t tried that?

That’s what I usually do but I shouldn’t have to. 

I believe this new system also requires a cellular subscription. GM says they will pay for the first 8 yrs of it. Let’s see how long that lasts. I can only imagine how low the prices will be for used GM vehicles as they approach the 8 year mark. No one is going to want to buy them.

On 12/13/2023 at 10:15 AM, mackinaw said:

I have an Android phone and use Android Auto.  Works very well in our Bronco Sport.

I never used it until I got my most recent car and haven't had any issues with it. I actually like that it's easier to read the screen compared to the normal Sync where the icons are very small.

On 12/15/2023 at 6:02 PM, T-dubz said:

I believe this new system also requires a cellular subscription. GM says they will pay for the first 8 yrs of it. Let’s see how long that lasts. I can only imagine how low the prices will be for used GM vehicles as they approach the 8 year mark. No one is going to want to buy them.

What the Renaissance Center taketh away, the developers in Mom's basement shall restoreth...

I'm sure that soon after GM rolls out their exclusive infotainment system, there will be a patch to enable Android & CarPlay, authorized or not. I also believe GM's system will be short lived, and that they will "reimagine" an AA/ACP system before the 8 year free subscription ends.