LASD Still Has Sizable Crown Victoria Fleet

45 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

A pickup will probably do just fine as a gas guzzling patrol car 99% of the time.

Yeah, and the fact that LEOs receive driving instructions and training probably makes additional difference also.  That study I referenced is old, so vehicles may have been significantly different, especially the SUVs.  It is interesting that SUVs in general use performed much worse than pickups.  I recall seeing a lot more SUV police vehicles out on the roads than pickups.  Can’t quite recall where I saw them, but Tahoe were common on road trips between Texas and Florida if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, Rick73 said:

That study I referenced is old, so vehicles may have been significantly different, especially the SUVs.  It is interesting that SUVs in general use performed much worse than pickups. 

I'm guessing due to the age of the study (2009) you still had many SUVs that where built off small/mid-sized truck frames that might have some compromises 

21 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

IIRC Ford cautions that the F Series is not "pursuit rated"... The laws of physics pre-empt fantasies that a tall pickup is a sports car!

Pursuit Rating is not about driving like a sports car, it’s about the vehicle being able to maintain a high speed pursuit. GM’s Tahoe has been pursuit rated for years and Silverado PPV was added for 2023.
F150 probably performs similar in a pursuit situation, I’m actually surprised that Ford has taken this long to compete with those GM vehicles…

The pursuit rating just  allows more PDs to access this vehicle for their ordering process,

which probably gives them more choices over say, the Silverado PPV or Tahoe….

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm guessing due to the age of the study (2009) you still had many SUVs that where built off small/mid-sized truck frames that might have some compromises 

Yeah, valid point. Those body on frame SUVs are worlds apart from unibody ones. Not to mention the width, and inherent stability you get in something like a newer explorer. I know from a first hand experience I wouldn't care to repeat that the 5th gen explorers can handle aggressive corrections at higher speeds with little to no issue, maybe a bit of body roll, that's about it. 

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Pursuit Rating is not about driving like a sports car, it’s about the vehicle being able to maintain a high speed pursuit. GM’s Tahoe has been pursuit rated for years and Silverado PPV was added for 2023.
F150 probably performs similar in a pursuit situation, I’m actually surprised that Ford has taken this long to compete with those GM vehicles…

The pursuit rating just  allows more PDs to access this vehicle for their ordering process,

which probably gives them more choices over say, the Silverado PPV or Tahoe….

So basically it means you can keep the throttle pegged for a long time without breaking something, but treat it for what it is, a big, heavy vehicle, for when you get to the corners. 

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

jpd80, thanks for the clarification- The "Kia Boyz" will be laughing their asses of at the upside down F150 squad that just chased them, but the engine will be just fine!

Kirby, Before 2017 it was a "Special Service Vehicle", looks like not much changed except the name.

You’re 0 for 3.  Give up while you’re behind.

In Michigan State Police tests, preliminary results show 2021 F-150 Police Responder clocked a 0-60 mph time of 5.4 seconds – 1.2 seconds faster than the outgoing model and at least 0.4 seconds faster than any other vehicle tested. Its 0-100 mph time was 3.7 seconds faster than the 2020 model at 13.1 seconds – 0.8 seconds faster than the runner up. The agency also confirmed the truck’s new 120 mph top speed, a 15 mph increase.

The torque-on-demand transfer case also plays a role in the truck’s overall performance, since it facilitates carrying faster speeds when cornering. This was showcased during 32-lap vehicle dynamics tests run by both the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department. The 2021 F-150 Police Responder showed dramatic improvements over the original, cutting 5.8 seconds off its average lap time during the Michigan tests, and 3.6 seconds per lap during the Los Angeles tests. (Los Angeles testing protocols add 400 lbs. of payload to police trucks and SUVs to simulate cargo). Laps in the dynamic tests are run on winding, curving tracks, as well as a tight city course, to simulate real-world pursuit driving conditions.

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

You’re 0 for 3.  Give up while you’re behind.

Read the 2024 Michigan SP tests and while the F150 has improved, it and the other BOF trucks are still a couple seconds slower on the road course than the PI Explorer. Ford's Mach E was faster than it initially was, maybe they solved the overheating problem so it can deliver more than 5 seconds of full power, GM brought a similar EV with similar results.

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Read the 2024 Michigan SP tests and while the F150 has improved, it and the other BOF trucks are still a couple seconds slower on the road course than the PI Explorer.

Yeah, but I bet this will fit better in the back of a F-150 than an Explorer,,,,,,

HRG

cc24eab4-6a18-401a-982c-d1f0219f3412.jpg

Edited by HotRunrGuy

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Stop being so grumpy about pickups.

No grumpiness, just reality- About the narrowest sidecar outfits are Urals at 1700 mm. or about 67 inches, F150 and other full size pickups are about 50 inches between the wheel wells. Thus trailering works better for sidecar outfits and they're light enough that just about anything with four wheels can tow them.

Edited by GearheadGrrrl
fix typo

Friend is a LEO in a neighboring town.  He told me they have a new 150 pursuit.  First night he had it he has a call responding to a very serious accident.  He said before he noticed he was going at less than a "prudent" speed and he was coming up on a traffic circle.  He couldn't believe how well it handled it

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:09 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Friend is a LEO in a neighboring town.  He told me they have a new 150 pursuit.  First night he had it he has a call responding to a very serious accident.  He said before he noticed he was going at less than a "prudent" speed and he was coming up on a traffic circle.  He couldn't believe how well it handled it

Well, the 2011 Crown Vic is more like a 2023 F150 than most people would like to admit....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

True and it’s interesting how close the fuel economy is these days..

Depends on the engine-the 3.5L RWD is 18/24 vs the Crown Vic's 16/24, but you also have almost double the HP in the 3.5L too

The 2.7 gets 20/26

18 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Depends on the engine-the 3.5L RWD is 18/24 vs the Crown Vic's 16/24, but you also have almost double the HP in the 3.5L too

The 2.7 gets 20/26

In the real world, you’d probably find that they’re all pretty similar fuel economy wise,

didn’t mention power to avoid stirring up the Panther lovers too much..

• Haha 2