2024 Tesla Cybertruck vs. Rivian R1T vs. Ford F-150 Lightning: The Only Comparison Test You'll Need

The article I thought was worth reading. I learned some things about the three trucks, including how hard it is to compare them. In short, the article seems to argue that the F-150 is the superior truck, doing truck things consistently better. The Rivian is the superior "lifestyle" truck. It has lots of nice little things about it that makes it the better choice for those who don't need something that can serve as a serious work truck. And the Tesla is, well, weird, often impractical and, in a number of ways, "borderline unsafe." 

I wasn't surprised that they rated the Rivian best, as at the outset they said they were looking for the "best luxury lifestyle" electric pickup truck. But placing Tesla second? At the end of the article, here is the justification for ranking the CT above the Lightening: "The Cybertruck represents a parkour leap up and out of a traditional trucker’s comfort zone. Nearly everything about this truck and how one interfaces with it is different—sometimes wildly or dangerously so. That said, we’re sufficiently wowed by the Tesla’s technological leap (48-volt base electrical architecture, steer-by-wire, borosilicate glass windshield, dent-proof stainless skin, etc.) to rank it ahead of Ford’s e-truck 1.0. But its lackluster towing and off-roading performance, its middling on-road performance, and the fact that form so utterly subjugates function throughout this vehicle, land it in second place behind the sleek, swift, luxurious, smooth-riding, adventure-optimized Rivian R1T."

SMH.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:46 AM, akirby said:

Have you been in a platinum or King Ranch F150?

That gets into twitchy territory for me, TBH, the same way that I don't know if I could ever drop money on a brand new Range Rover or similar; I take my trucks/SUVs into actual dirt and that means I'd be better off buying an FX4 and the full Weathertech package.

I've never quite understood the point of "rugged luxury" vehicles. Tracking mud into delicate carpets and smearing goop on those massaging seat controls must make the detailer swoon.

Edited by ZanatWork

I think MT was too focused on the luxury truck aspect of the review.  I guess if you're able to afford the $100k you're spending on these trucks, I get it.

But in the end, it was a review by a magazine I historically rarely agree with, about a truck I'll never buy because it is an electric that doesn't fit my needs and out of my price range regardless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

When I think of "best luxury lifestyle"....a pickup truck does not come to mind.

1 hour ago, ZanatWork said:

That gets into twitchy territory for me, TBH, the same way that I don't know if I could ever drop money on a brand new Range Rover or similar; I take my trucks/SUVs into actual dirt and that means I'd be better off buying an FX4 and the full Weathertech package.

I've never quite understood the point of "rugged luxury" vehicles. Tracking mud into delicate carpets and smearing good on those massaging seat controls must make the detailer swoon.

Stop thinking of it as a work truck and think of it as a Town Car/Crown Vic replacement with a huge trunk that can carry lumber, mulch, plants or furniture with 3 across seating for 6 and can also tow a 10K lb boat or trailer.  

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Have you been in a platinum or King Ranch F150?

I haven't. I know upper trim large Ford trucks have genuinely nice interiors, and lots of advanced features, but I'm curious what they feel like to drive and ride in. I've never been in an f-150 or super duty, the only truck I've driven and owned is a maverick. 

Is the ride quality and handling in a high end Ford truck about the same as the lower end Ford trucks? Or do the engineers go in and swap out some of the hardware to make the more luxurious trucks ride better? 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Stop thinking of it as a work truck and think of it as a Town Car/Crown Vic replacement with a huge trunk that can carry lumber, mulch, plants or furniture with 3 across seating for 6 and can also tow a 10K lb boat or trailer.  

Hit the nail on the head. I'll say as I've matured, I've also started to realize one of the greatest luxuries in a vehicle is peace of mind, in that regard, a Ford truck is a much better luxury vehicle than almost anything you can buy in Europe. Your BMW's and Range Rovers are nice when they're brand new, and under warranty, but I wouldn't be able to live with one for 10-15 years. It would be a constant worry about what was going to break next.

That's not really a concern with Ford trucks, you have that satisfaction of knowing as long as you take care of it, it's not going to fall apart on you immediately. Then there's the whole swiss army knife element as some have called it, something I didn't truly appreciate until we bought our maverick, how nice it is to have a vehicle that can basically do everything. It's a great commuter one minute, and a versatile ute the next. 

Car and Driver did similar comparison, with similar vague language.  IMO these three vehicles are so different that direct comparison is influenced too much by reviewers’ personal preferences.  I would place Cybertruck last on (poor) appearance alone.  Rivian seems best to me (prefer smaller size), but I wouldn’t buy a Rivian not knowing how well the company will do in future.  Not that I need or want any $100,000 pickup.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46031051/2024-tesla-cybertruck-ford-f-150-lightning-rivian-r1t-specs-compared/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Car and Driver did similar comparison, with similar vague language.  IMO these three vehicles are so different that direct comparison is influenced too much by reviewers’ personal preferences.  I would place Cybertruck last on (poor) appearance alone.  Rivian seems best to me (prefer smaller size), but I wouldn’t buy a Rivian not knowing how well the company will do in future.  Not that I need or want any $100,000 pickup.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46031051/2024-tesla-cybertruck-ford-f-150-lightning-rivian-r1t-specs-compared/

I agree they're wildly different takes on "pickup truck" and not easily compared. Rivian appears to be a very nice vehicle and it seems everyone that has one loves it, but it's a lot smaller than the other two and not really intended for work.

I personally like the Cybertruck's uniqueness, but I am concerned it won't age well once the new wears off. They like to pretend they made it for the "working man", but side by side compared to the Lightning there are a lot of features and work truck things missing along with low visibility and terrible mirrors if you intend to tow (though it does have the cameras which are nice). I like the tech and it'll only get better with software updates as they figure things out, but right now I think I'd pick Lightning if my Cybertruck order came up today.

Lightning is a really good first effort, but is compromised some by using the same frame as the rest of the lineup, thought it does have a big advantage on the frunk where the engine used to be. Hoping a second gen can maintain the traditional truck look while improving where it lacks in range/tow rating. I'm not sure I'll like the t3 version, but obviously will need to wait and see.

Either way, more choices, more competition, they'll only get better as new gens come out.

1 hour ago, Captainp4 said:

Lightning is a really good first effort, but is compromised some by using the same frame as the rest of the lineup, thought it does have a big advantage on the frunk where the engine used to be. Hoping a second gen can maintain the traditional truck look while improving where it lacks in range/tow rating. I'm not sure I'll like the t3 version, but obviously will need to wait and see.

Either way, more choices, more competition, they'll only get better as new gens come out.

I expect T3 to be a lot more like the Rivian but still retain Ford’s unique truck features and versatility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I expect T3 to be a lot more like the Rivian but still retain Ford’s unique truck features and versatility.

It's hard to tell scale on the pictures/videos, but when they park them all together the Rivian looks a lot more Ranger/Tacoma sized than a half ton truck. I've seen a few around here, but they're pretty rare.. they do look midsize on the road too. Do you think the t3 will be in the Ranger class? or do you mean that in the "lifestyle truck" sense?

1 hour ago, Captainp4 said:

It's hard to tell scale on the pictures/videos, but when they park them all together the Rivian looks a lot more Ranger/Tacoma sized than a half ton truck. I've seen a few around here, but they're pretty rare.. they do look midsize on the road too. Do you think the t3 will be in the Ranger class? or do you mean that in the "lifestyle truck" sense?

I’ve heard it’s in between current Ranger and F150.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

I personally like the Cybertruck's uniqueness, but I am concerned it won't age well once the new wears off.

I thought “uniqueness” maybe made Cybertruck more aero and improved range per kWh compared to other trucks, but Car and Driver tested Cybertruck at 75 and 65 MPH with bed cover open and closed, and energy consumption is fairly high like others.  The CT at 75 MPH was reported at ~ 1.7 miles/kWh, and improved to ~ 2.0 miles/kWh by slowing to 65 MPH, both with bed cover closed.

The unique shape may attract a lot of attention, but doesn’t seem to contribute a great amount towards longer driving range.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60200909/2024-tesla-cybertruck-aerodynamics-affect-range-tests/

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

A buddy sent me a picture of one he saw on the road the other day that was painted white. Didn’t help at all

All I’ll say is that it’s a very polarising style, some color wraps look better than others but it’s not for me

I know pricing is "in line" with the market but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a 45k Ranger.  in 2019 my ex's father got a really nice XLT Ranger that was really well equipped for 30k.  He had Sync 3 in it with nav, I want to say he had heated seats too plus he had dual zone climate.  It was basically a Lariat without it being a Lariat.

1 hour ago, Andrew L said:

I know pricing is "in line" with the market but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a 45k Ranger.  in 2019 my ex's father got a really nice XLT Ranger that was really well equipped for 30k.  He had Sync 3 in it with nav, I want to say he had heated seats too plus he had dual zone climate.  It was basically a Lariat without it being a Lariat.

In 2018 I paid $37K for my F150.  Today it’s $51k.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

A buddy sent me a picture of one he saw on the road the other day that was painted white. Didn’t help at all

Why would anyone do that? One of the only visual attributes of the CT that looks halfway decent is the stainless steel. I understand it's a pain to keep it clean, but I'd imagine you could wrap some sort of clear film onto it to help with that. 

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Why would anyone do that? One of the only visual attributes of the CT that looks halfway decent is the stainless steel. I understand it's a pain to keep it clean, but I'd imagine you could wrap some sort of clear film onto it to help with that. 

I can think of one reason, fingerprints on the stainless probably requires constant attention..

While the stainless steel won’t rush, I wonder if other road contaminants and grime give a discolored look.

There’s a couple of instance of CTs driven for a few days in California exhibiting rust spots on the surface

https://www.wired.com/story/this-is-why-teslas-stainless-steel-cybertrucks-may-be-rusting/