Wind Buffeting Is a Common Problem That Ford Is Tackling

Wind Buffeting Is a Common Problem That Ford Is Tackling

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/wind-buffeting-is-a-common-problem-that-ford-is-tackling/

FordAuthority.com_2024-03-31_Ford Everest.jpg

For some time, wind buffeting has been one of the more annoying aspects of owning a vehicle, but this phenomenon isn’t exactly something that’s relegated to one type of make or model. Rather, the issue is quite common and worse for cars that are more aerodynamic, and that includes quite a few models from Ford. As vehicles have become more and more aerodynamic over the years, the issue of wind buffeting has become more prevalent as well, which is likely why some people think that it’s a new phenomenon, or perhaps something that only affects certain makes or models. However, it’s also a problem that Ford has been working to correct for some time now.

FordAuthority.com_2024-03-31_The Helmholtz Resonance_Window Throb.jpg

Wind buffering – or “Helmholtz resonance,” as it’s known in the scientific world – happens when the volume of air entering a vehicle isn’t proportional to the amount of air exiting the vehicle. Many experience this when rolling down a rear window but not a front window, but in reality, this tends to happen when any window is open on one side of the vehicle, but not the other. The result is an annoyingly loud noise that’s very much like what we hear when we blow into a bottle with an open top. The problem is worse with very aerodynamic vehicles as the air flow follows the shape of the vehicle, hitting the side windows as it comes up the windshield.

Opening another window cancels this effect and eliminates the problem, but that isn’t exactly ideal for most. Thus, Ford has been exploring ways to eliminate wind buffeting for years now, filing a patent for a wind throb mitigation system back in late 2022. This system would be capable of detecting wind throb, determining if the seat adjacent to the vehicle’s occupant is occupied or not, then opening another window to mitigate the effect. The system could also close all the windows if needed, and activate the climate control system to compensate.

Additionally, Blue Oval engineers equipped the all-new Ford Everest with specially-designed side mirrors that were developed in simulators and wind tunnels and are specifically designed to eliminate wind buffeting, or wind throb as it’s otherwise known – meaning that it’s quite likely we’ll see this same sort of technology on future Blue Oval models, too.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, transitman said:

Seems the solution doesn't need to be as complicated as sensors in the seats and the electronics to open and close windows. How about a pressure sensitive vent at the rear of the vehicle that opens as needed.

Thats what I was thinking.  But I doubt this patent would ever be implemented.  Another “just in case somebody else tries it” kind of patents.

As a smoker (I know) and someone that just likes driving with the window open when it's nice out, this issue drives me insane in the newer cars. Really, really bad in the sooper poopy with one front window open and one back window open when I have someone else back there that wants to open the window, like it's beating your ear drum in.

2 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

As a smoker (I know) and someone that just likes driving with the window open when it's nice out, this issue drives me insane in the newer cars. Really, really bad in the sooper poopy with one front window open and one back window open when I have someone else back there that wants to open the window, like it's beating your ear drum in.

Good to hear some drivers go with windows down, because my initial reaction was whether this is another “solution in search of a problem”.

Honestly, I rarely or ever notice drivers on the highways driving with windows down; other than maybe an occasional beater that I assume air conditioner doesn’t work.  Where I live “nice” weather is limited, so I only see a few cars in neighborhood with windows down in Spring and Fall.  Even that is rare, and at low speeds, buffeting should not be as bad.

I suppose one could argue that if buffeting was eliminated, more drivers and passengers would actually enjoy the fresh air.  My version of that is riding a bike, because in vehicles windows stay up.  I like silence.

• Like 1

Easier fix would be for Ford to bring back the venting rear side windows and the roll down rear hatch window.  I mean if an old 79 Bronco can have a roll down rear window, why can't my 2019 Expedition.  The old mini-vans all had manual or power venting rear side windows.  Simple solutions to problems that didn't use to exist until we made big boxy SUV's with no venting in the rear.

• Like 1

Another reason why the new Everest is a really well thought out vehicle.

The V6 diesel versions of Ranger and Everest are lovely an quiet like a gasoline engine…

You guys probably don’t see much buffeting anymore but I’ve heard that one of the 

recent Silverado models from just  a few years ago may have had this problem…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Simple solutions to problems that didn't use to exist until we made big boxy SUV's with no venting in the rear.

My Focus and SHO still buffeted with the windows cracked or the sunroof being open. 

I want to say I didn't really notice this till my 2013 MKZ.  My 99 Mercury Sable and my 04 Lincoln LS as far as I remember didn't have this issue, but I could be wrong.  The sunroof on both the Sable and LS did it bad when opened all the way and on the highway so I would really only ever tilt the sunroof on the highway.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:52 AM, akirby said:

Thats what I was thinking.  But I doubt this patent would ever be implemented.  Another “just in case somebody else tries it” kind of patents.

Calling shotgun before anyone else.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 6:17 PM, Rick73 said:

Good to hear some drivers go with windows down, because my initial reaction was whether this is another “solution in search of a problem”.

Honestly, I rarely or ever notice drivers on the highways driving with windows down; other than maybe an occasional beater that I assume air conditioner doesn’t work.  Where I live “nice” weather is limited, so I only see a few cars in neighborhood with windows down in Spring and Fall.  Even that is rare, and at low speeds, buffeting should not be as bad.

I suppose one could argue that if buffeting was eliminated, more drivers and passengers would actually enjoy the fresh air.  My version of that is riding a bike, because in vehicles windows stay up.  I like silence.

I've always had at a minimum an aftermarket cat-back on everything I own, but things started to change after I bought the completely stock 64 continental a few years back and just left it alone.. the quiet/smooth was really nice. I had plans of cutting it up, putting on air ride, big hp engine, etc. Cut to present day and I just added probably 100 lbs of sound deadening and insulation to my 96 F350 I'm almost finished restoring. Also converting all my mowers/weed eaters/blowers to battery for my lawn care business because they're quiet (well, and save money/good for the earth and whatnot). Also looking to swap out the 6.4 sooper poopy for a BEV pickup soon. Maybe I'm getting old 😅 Still like riding with the windows down when the weather permits though in the older ones - the new ones are trying to give you an ear clap when you try.

I do agree that you rarely see people with their windows open on the road anymore, maybe some fresh air would help some of them not be so absorbed in their own bubble and stop being so oblivious to what's going on around them.

• Like 1