Ford F-150 Lightning Causes Havoc at Car Wash

Ford F-150 Lightning Causes Havoc at Car Wash

https://fordauthority.com/2024/04/ford-f-150-lightning-causes-havoc-at-car-wash-video/

FordAuthority.com_2024-04-25_F-150 Lightning_Car Wash Crash.jpg

We’ve certainly seen our fair share of car crashes over the years, many of which involve the Ford F-150. This doesn’t come as a huge surprise given the fact that this particular model has been one of the most popular new and used vehicles on earth for decades, but we continue to see folks do silly things behind the wheel such as smash into other Blue Oval models on the highway for no apparent reason, fly through residential areas (quite literally), and even crash into retail stores and go straight through brick walls like the Kool-Aid man. However, its all-electric counterpart – the Ford F-150 Lightning – isn’t immune to this phenomenon either, it seems.

In fact, as we can see in this video, a Ford F-150 Lightning recently caused quite the pileup at a busy car wash that left a large number of vehicles damaged in a mere split second. The EV pickup was in line to enter the car wash behind a few other vehicles, and was approaching the entrance slowly – in fact, it had come to a complete stop – before disaster struck.

It’s unclear what, exactly, took place here, but it seems as if the driver of the Ford F-150 Lightning hit the accelerator a bit too hard, which sent the pickup smashing into the van in front of it. The impact was great enough that it caused a chain reaction, sending the van smashing into the car in front of it, which then led to multiple vehicles rear-ending each other inside the car wash itself.

As for the Ford F-150 Lightning, it careened off to the side and came to a rest on another car that was parked nearby, tilted up in the air. The driver looks quite stunned in the video, which is understandable, particularly given the fact that they’re likely going to be having a very uncomfortable call with their insurance company after the fact.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

I wouldn’t be surprised if they accidentally resumed cruise control while turning the wheel. I’ve done it myself a couple times, and people post about it in the Lightning groups quite often. With sub 4 second 0-60 it can be shocking when you don’t intend it to happen. 

37 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they accidentally resumed cruise control while turning the wheel. I’ve done it myself a couple times, and people post about it in the Lightning groups quite often. With sub 4 second 0-60 it can be shocking when you don’t intend it to happen. 

I thought cruise only worked above a certain speed?

• Like 2

In one of the fb groups I’m active in people post about SUA frequently, and it is usually explained a

s having hit resume. When I’ve hit it I ha

ve done it while making a turn similar to the video. 

I just tested on the way home and resume works at 10 mph, but not at 9 mph. 10 mph is not unusual speed to be going in a parking lot. The resume button sticks out from the rest of the buttons and makes it easier to accidentally hit.

31 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I just tested on the way home and resume works at 10 mph, but not at 9 mph. 10 mph is not unusual speed to be going in a parking lot. The resume button sticks out from the rest of the buttons and makes it easier to accidentally hit.

The vehicle was stopped, in this case.

16 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The vehicle was stopped, in this case.

If it was stopped it wouldn’t have hit anything. Unless you mean it stopped after it hit the cars?  before it hit the cars it clearly was moving forward, and then accelerated into the stopped vehicles. 

2 hours ago, CurtisH said:

Even if the driver hit the resume button, it shouldn’t have done anything.  The Lightning has adaptive cruise and there was a vehicle in front of it. 

Good point!  Happened to me when I tested (wouldn’t go to set speed because of car ahead of me).  Maybe an over-reaction/mistake re: One pedal. 

20 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Good point!  Happened to me when I tested (wouldn’t go to set speed because of car ahead of me).  Maybe an over-reaction/mistake re: One pedal. 

I haven't been in an electric Lightning, but I have simultaneously hit the gas and brake a few times in my Flex. If you have your foot on both, then slide it off the brake not realizing that it's also on the loud pedal...

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 5:23 PM, sullynd said:

If it was stopped it wouldn’t have hit anything. Unless you mean it stopped after it hit the cars?  before it hit the cars it clearly was moving forward, and then accelerated into the stopped vehicles. 

im saying it wouldn’t get anywhere near the 10mph to activate the cruise resume based on the video