Well well, take a collective bow BON crew, Ford listened.

JETSOLVER

Hmmmm.

I'm wondering how it won in the "performance" category, with its power disadvantage to both the Camry and the Accord. Similarly, I keep wondering: if the Fusion's awd is class-exclusive, what class is the Subaru Legacy?

fusion is very close in speed tests to the accord, the camry well it has 268hp.. 20 more than accord and 40 more than fusion, its faster than both i would think.

also, the legacy is a bit larger class i think, parked next too one at work here, in and out looks a bit larger, ala 500, avalon area.. but i dont know for sure.

A campaign like this could easily backfire, as the areas not mentioned as "wins" will be assumed to be the ones where Fusion did miserably.

Take for instance the interior. Once again all the focus is on the exterior design. Funny how those people only improved their opinion once the Fusion actually moved, meaning that --handling aside-- they had a better experience inside the Accord and Camry.

fusion is very close in speed tests to the accord, the camry well it has 268hp.. 20 more than accord and 40 more than fusion, its faster than both i would think.

also, the legacy is a bit larger class i think, parked next too one at work here, in and out looks a bit larger, ala 500, avalon area.. but i dont know for sure.

Performance means a lot more than straight acceleration!

not sure why the legacy is missing because they definitely match up size, price and performance wise. That is my favorite car in that class, but I give ford credit...there is a huge market for awd vehicles, something subaru just can't exploit.

and glad to see some more of this type of advertising.....we all know the shortcomings (and all vehicles have a few) but they need to get the message out that this vehicle needs to be on people's list.

Anyone have exterior specs?

I will agree that the latest Legacy looks bigger than previous Legacies, but I don't know if it's the size of a 500 yet.

I believe, according to the numbers that I've seen, the Camry v6 leads the pack in 0-60 performance and it also takes the quarter mile crown. However, we all know that that's not the TOTAL test of vehicle performance. I was surprised when the Camry v6 beat the 07 Altima, however. The Altima is technically lighter, has a CVT, and I believe matches the Camry for power. Could be some aspects of the power band differences between the two engines as well as some aero advantage for the Camry.

Given the acceleration numbers that the Fusion does manage, I believe that a power improved version of the D30 that's been rumored that sports 240 hp and about 15 more lbs of torque than it currently has would move it near the top again. What I would like to see is the following:

the MkZ, which doesn't have a power problem, should move to the Lincoln "exclusive" D37 3.7L v6, maybe throw in some direct injection and make it produce a round 300 hp and 280 lbs of torque.

The Milan could get the D35 from the Lincoln MkZ. The Fusion could get the PI Duratec 30. An SVT version of the Fusion could get the D35 with a sporting tune and other improvements.

That would satisfy everyone, give Mercury something pseudo exclusive (There's NO engineering work required as its already been done for the MkZ), move the MkZ further upmarket, and make an SVT fusion possible.

A campaign like this could easily backfire, as the areas not mentioned as "wins" will be assumed to be the ones where Fusion did miserably.

Take for instance the interior. Once again all the focus is on the exterior design. Funny how those people only improved their opinion once the Fusion actually moved, meaning that --handling aside-- they had a better experience inside the Accord and Camry.

Yes, because the inside of the Camry is such a wonderful experience. Complete with that silly LED Clock that Toyota has used in every single car since the 80s, and green plastic crap on the center stack that Timex and other alarm clock manufacturers have been using for quite sometime. Yeah sign me up for that.

BTW if anyone is looking for an 07 Camry Stock head unit this site has em really cheap:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B00080FO0S

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Many Times I would probably bash Ford for something but this time I think this is one of the smartest things Ford has done.

In the Fusion's case, it really does not have a disadvantage as a whole to anything from Japan. The problem with the "It’s cool to hate American" fad that the media and Hollywood pushes is that there is no basis for it.

Try to follow this example (I know it’s outdated). Back in the day, an economics professor of mine said that it would be more cost effective to give welfare recipients cash in their hands than food stamps. Everyone's initial impulse was, "oh, they will just use it on alcohol or drugs". Well guess what, they are using food stamps on alcohol and drugs anyway. They have found ways to get party stores and other people to buy the food stamps from them at less than face value and use the cash to buy alcohol and drugs. But, with a food stamp program, there is also an agency that spends money to provide the food stamps and police it. These are added costs that nobody thinks about. If welfare recipients get hungry, they will use to money towards food. If not, they can buy alcohol.

I digress. My point to this was the initial response to what my professor said is the same response people give when the domestics say. "Our cars are as good as Japan's". People immediately say "No Way" without looking at all the facts. This Ford's attempt to put its money where its mouth is. The problem here is the haters and the “I love anything foreign” posers will shout at the tops of their lungs to prove otherwise without a basis.

What’s hypocritical about the whole thing is that the very reasons people give for driving Japanese cars over domestics (such as quality, durability, etc.) have actually shifted to other side in some vehicles like the Fusion yet they cannot accept that even after facts prove it. Why this is the case I have no idea, but the Domestics need to get their PR going.....

Yes, because the inside of the Camry is such a wonderful experience. Complete with that silly LED Clock that Toyota has used in every single car since the 80s, and green plastic crap on the center stack that Timex and other alarm clock manufacturers have been using for quite sometime. Yeah sign me up for that.

BTW if anyone is looking for an 07 Camry Stock head unit this site has em really cheap:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B00080FO0S

michael are you talking about the camry that has reclining rear seats, push button start, lexus like gauges, gated shifter or the hybird version?

the fusion won on several fronts but give credit where credit is due....I think and obviously others feel that the interior is not as good as the accord or camry.

the fusion interior is spartan but sporty, the camry very luxerious and the accord a blend of both...

push button start

Is this really a feature anyone gives a damn about? Seriously. You still need to put the key in the ignition, no? If you ask me, that just adds MORE to the process. Insert key, move hand to push button. It's easier to just throw the key in and turn it all in one motion.

Push buttons belong in race cars where you don't have any keys to begin with.

What speed test are you refering to? The 2007 Camry layed down a 0-60 in 6 sec flat and a 1/4 mile time of 14.5 @97mph ( That beats the new 4.0L 5 Speed v6 mustang )

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/11...cs_pricing.html

The Fusion's best test was 0-60 in 8.0 sec and 1/4 Mile of 15.8

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...12/pageNumber=1

I would not exactly call that one close.....

Since this article did not do any performance measurments, I suspect that the people precieved the Fusion to be faster because it was louder than the others...

Edited by sranger

Hmmmm.

I'm wondering how it won in the "performance" category, with its power disadvantage to both the Camry and the Accord. Similarly, I keep wondering: if the Fusion's awd is class-exclusive, what class is the Subaru Legacy?

Well, I have the answer for you. Ford payed C&D to do the test!

"The "Fusion Challenge" ads, which started running Thursday, feature head-to-head comparison test drives organized by Car and Driver magazine and paid for by Ford."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../701050342/1148

Also in the truth about cars.

"Ford PR has declined to provide the raw data on the test, which was, shall we say, “flawed.” First, FoMoCo paid for the comparo. Second, though the Fusion AWD costs less than it's front wheel-drive competitors, it's not strictly an apples-to-apples comparison. Third, sources who attended the event report that one of the test Accords' radio and VSA (Variable Stability Assist) were ‘non-operable.’ And lastly, Ford 'aides' touted the Fusion’s features."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2891

Well Ford makes no mention in their press release or advertising that they payed for the test.

A little bit underhanded.

People are starting to question why the Fusion wasn't included in the recent mid-size comparo where the Accord, at least, probably would have beat its' performance.

Is this really a feature anyone gives a damn about? Seriously. You still need to put the key in the ignition, no? If you ask me, that just adds MORE to the process. Insert key, move hand to push button. It's easier to just throw the key in and turn it all in one motion.

Push buttons belong in race cars where you don't have any keys to begin with.

not on the camry...you have the key in your pocket, etc....and then you just push the start button...now however you perceive it is fine...but it certainly is a nice feature and one ford does not offer on the fusion.

and if the public hardly gives a shit why is it starting to pop up on some other vehicles-altima to name one and even ford has some type coming on their vehicles...but on the new espcape i think you have to insert the key fob and screw with it...that to me does not make as much sense.

point being it is a area where ford did not go the distance and missed a chance to have a few "wow" features on the vehicle.....at the very least it should be on some of the lincoln's

not on the camry...you have the key in your pocket, etc....and then you just push the start button...now however you perceive it is fine...but it certainly is a nice feature and one ford does not offer on the fusion.

and if the public hardly gives a shit why is it starting to pop up on some other vehicles-altima to name one and even ford has some type coming on their vehicles...but on the new espcape i think you have to insert the key fob and screw with it...that to me does not make as much sense.

point being it is a area where ford did not go the distance and missed a chance to have a few "wow" features on the vehicle.....at the very least it should be on some of the lincoln's

Yes, I suppose if it was an OPTION, and people actually want to pay for some ridiculous remote key dohickey, then by all means, it should be offered. I'll leave that box unchecked on my purchase though.

Knowing Ford's way of bundling options though, they'd throw it in an 'Option Package" that included the Steering Wheel and Brakes.

Edited by NickF1011

Well Ford makes no mention in their press release or advertising that they payed for the test.

A little bit underhanded.

People are starting to question why the Fusion wasn't included in the recent mid-size comparo where the Accord, at least, probably would have beat its' performance.

Wow, It really never occured to me to even wonder about this. These happen about every two or three months in C&D, and generally follow a format.

And Yes, this is bloody good money for Ford, in that it is actual reality, as opposed to the innuendo that prevents so many Americans from even looking at the car.

Is there areas Fusion might lose in? Yes, but there is a subjective factor in any and all comparision tests, and as far as I'm concerned, it the first time in a long while that Ford PR is playing by everyone elses rules. More of the same would be a geat idea.

This must be as a result of pretty much every top person in Fordmedia/pr getting the pointy heel last month. I wondered why so many Madison Ave. B.A's were getting their crayons taken away.

Good work Allan, now remember that us potential retail customers hate bullshiat too! The whole point of Bold Moves was to tell the truth, and even though it became a spin fest at times, don't stop now, or your cred(Mulally and B.S. have no chance of sharing the same space) is shot as well.

Edited by JETSOLVER