Ford Motor Company February 2007 Sales

I don't understand why consumers are fleeing from Jaguar! What in the hell is so bad about them? Geesh! And how many new NON-Ford-owned brand vehicles showed up in the employeee parking lots this past month? I hope the answer is NONE! If not, Ford and Ford workers: You're all done! Kiss your jobs goodbye!

Edited by Joe771476

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if they did you would still find something to complain about. Wouldn't you?

Also note that the Silverado (new) is being sold with the Silverado Classic (old). Just something to keep in mind.

I'd also like to note that Escape/Mariner's have been in short supply ever since the promotions and change overs. A family member had slim pickens at the begining of the month when she picked up her Mariner.

Then you have vehicles such as the X Type, how is something that inexpensive selling so horribly. I can tell you why, IT SUCKS!

Silverado outsells f-series? who would have seen that coming?

I officially declare BEC as the winner.

I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

- bec5150 on the Ford Edge, Nov 2 2006, 06:40 PM

Edited by Bluecon

I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

You gotta be fucking kidding me!

I agree. There is two more months left in the six month challenge. Plenty of time for Ford to start selling more. It would be a miracle, but with enough incentives, they could swing it.

So we are going to count December as a full month, even though they didn't hit the lots till the middle of the month?

Plus the Challenge has never been defined, its all I "said" without pinning down X units have to be sold etc etc....

Its just another pissing and moaning contest like the Fusion sales :rolleyes:

even though the silverado beat the f150 this month don't forget about the incentives chevy put on the previous gen to move them off the lots to make room for the new ones. the older ones probably made up the majority of those sales. the next few months will show if the silverado has what it takes to make a stand against the f150

So we are going to count December as a full month, even though they didn't hit the lots till the middle of the month?

Plus the Challenge has never been defined, its all I "said" without pinning down X units have to be sold etc etc....

Its just another pissing and moaning contest like the Fusion sales :rolleyes:

Actually if you looked up Bec's old posts he was quite specific.

So, since the Edge, alone, outsold the vaunted GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook combined................. does that mean that they are a double bomb??? Even though they have gotten good reviews in all the magazines???

PS, 2.5 plus 3 does not equal 6................ or is that new math??? You should start to count from the first full month of sales.

My point is, with excess capacity, higher inventory and slow sales, why wait until the end of the year?

They are down to one shift so there are 5 shifts building the 150 (which is what Ford wants). From what I have heard from some of the NAP people (now DTP people) is that NAP will be closed when the third shift goes on line at DTP in June.

Edited by DearbornDerek

With the F-series sales down, and inventory up, why is Norfolk still open? Wouldn't it save more money to close it now?

You are thinking like a Ford executive now, and that's what created the situation the company is in right now.

How about thinking like this: The Silverado outsold the F-150 last month. We can't allow that to keep happening or we will have to pull our 30th consecutive year sales leader cake commercial.

What are we doing about this?

Well, since the P221 F-150 was introduced in the summer of 2003 what upgrades has it recieved? Not much. The Harley edition and the FX-2 (which is a cheap Harley without the badges) and up-rating the towing stats without changing anything else. Why does the 5.4L in the F-250 get a 5-speed automatic but the F-150 is still stuck with the 4-speed?

If Ford thinks the SuperDuty will carry F-Series sales until the all new P415 F-150 arrives in 18 months then they had better settle this matter with Navistar. Better yet start building their own damn diesels where you can control the quality and production! This isn't the 1980's, diesel sales have now reached a level that justifies designing and building them in-house and cut the independant suppliers loose.

They got what they wanted, NAP will close soon enough and DTP is building Ford's best selling vehicle. On NAP's watch the F-Series went from #2 to sales leader, stayed there for 30 years, set all-time sales records, and launched the best selling F-150s in history (PN96 & P221). The last time the F-150 won the J.D.Powers initial quality award was 2005, the model year before the NAP closing announcment.

We will see if DTP can beat those records...but 18 months is a long time to wait, and Chevy is gaining fast...

The only reason that the sierra outsold the f150 this month is because of the sierra classic that you could get for $10 a pop. The 4.6 has been increases in power, and why would you lower in a five speed when your putting in a six speed next year. I would say ord sales for trucks at the current time would not be going to chevy. oyota possibly, but not chevy. The F150 still has more capability and choice than any ther truck. They can't just throw things out the door, they have to be quality tested and designed. If not you'll be complaining about everything breaking.

Not too bad...

I was shocked at how many Edge's were sold. I can't believe they sold that many considering how bad the brakes are... I guess is shows how uneducated the general public really is...

Ford is still on life support, but at least the alarms are not beeping code blue just yet...

All this talk of whether the Edge sales represent something significant is irrelevant. Ford marketing doesn't look at overall sales that way. They will look at the macro-segments and try to devine where overall sales are going. Consider that when a prospective customer is at a Ford dealership, the ability to swing from one relatively equivalent product to another is fairly easy. That is why Ford trys to understand the substitution patterns of its vehicles. There is no need to introduce a new product if all it does is canabalize another Ford brand. As such, there are three major segments of vehicles. Roughly speaking they are "people mover cars", "people mover trucks", and trucks. While there is even crossover between these segments, for the most part, a customer looking for an F150 is not likely to buy an Edge, but they may consider a Ranger. Here's how the macro-segments faired in February versus last year:

People mover cars:

Taurus -17K

500 -1K

Fusion +4K

Focus +1K

Mustang -2K

Total -15K

People Mover trucks:

Edge +8K

Explorer -4.5K

Freestyle -2.5K

Escape -1K

Freestar -5K

Total -5K

Trucks

Ranger -0.5K

F150 -7.5K

total -8K

If one considers that the bulk of the rental fleet reductions is covered by the elimination of the Taurus, then cars are holding steady, people mover trucks are steadily declining, and trucks are also declining at the retail level. This is not good for Ford as it shows that retail customers are continuing a steady exit from the brand (not looking at other Ford brands with this now).

If Ford shared its demographic data, it would further show that the average age of "Ford" buyers is getting older. The problem is that Ford is keeping the older buyers that it does have, but it is not attracting young buyers. Quite frankly, this is a trend that I see no ability to reverse. However good the products, once a brand gets an "Oldmobile" image, it is probably too late. And you don't have to wait for a market share of zero to know the end is coming. The lowest makershare possible for ford type vehicle (meaning mass market as opposed to high end Porsche type competition) is the market share that can support the infrastructure necessary to develop, certify, and produce even one vehacle platform. And Ford is getting mighty close to that...

Edited by bb62