2008 E-Series Debuts

DCK

How do you rate the 2008 E-Series?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How to you rate the 2008 E-Series?

• * * * * * A. Excellent
    • * * * * B. Good
    • * * * C. Average
    • * * D. Bad
    • * F. Poor

Wow, I'm not sure what to say actually. I dont have an issue with the front, other than, it "would be" nice if the rest of the van, had the sharp creases to go along with the boldness of the nose. It's like, there's no harmony between the nose and body.

But I can let that one slide, till I saw the interior. What is it, circa early 90's? This is another mediocre redesign. And the only reason Ford took this route was because it really doesn't have much competition. It's times like these I would welcome a real competitor so Ford gets it's act together.

Even the steering wheel?!!! Is it difficult to even use the new standard radio face along with the rest of the Fords?!

Really, the only thing done was add a Superduty nose to it. I dont see how many will perceive this "new" when they open the door to greet them with similar interior as to what they have now. New nose won't cut it. Oh well...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all reality any one who is going to buy the E seires is going to give a sh** about the styling.

These are work vehicals. After couple of years on the job they will be dented scraped with the interiors covered in filth and coffee stains.

It is not Fords best restyle but in the grand sceme of things it means squat.

Serioulsy is the fleet manager who has purchased Ford vans for years and had nothing but sucsess with them look at that and say F*** it is ugly and go to GMC? Not likly.

Styling on these vehicals is not important. Functionality and Reliabilty is.

The only thing that gave the Sprinter an edge was the functionality aspect. They completly fell down in the reliabilty Dept.

The bigger sturdier front bumper will more than likly be a bigger selling feature. As almost every single Ford sevice van or Cube cab and chassis, I have seen has bent and mangled front bumpers.

The deisel will be late avalibilty just as it was with the Power Stroke 7.3.

There is no way the diesel will not be avalible. It would be like cutting the Diesel outta the Super Duty. Come on guys give your head shake.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Who cares what it looks like. Contractors and ambulance companies only care about reliability. I think what is more worrisome if the lack of a diesel. I mean seriously, what's up with this?

I agree... and I actully think the front end works better on this then it does on the super duty's...... the body style is a box and there isn't much you can do with it and in the end it doesn't matter much to the fleet buyers who probably buy the majority of the E-vans...

Actually, I don't think Chevy has made serious inroads into the E-Series market.

In 2001 Ford had 48.24% of the fullsize van market.

In 2006 Ford had 50.75% of the fullsize van market.

What was GM's market share for those two years? I'd have to venture that both GM and Ford picked up some market share since 2001 with the disappearance of the Ram Van.

I didn't read every reply...

Anyone else catch this line - "All single rear-wheel models come standard with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)."

Single rear-wheel models. As opposed to what? Is there a new E-350 dually option? :rolleyes:

"An XLT Premium package replaces the Chateau for 2007 and features first and second row leather captain’s chairs, power driver seat, remote keyless entry, leather-wrapped steering wheel, privacy glass, special two-tone exterior paint, forged aluminum wheels, overhead console and running boards. "

Uh, I thought we were reading about the 2008 model?

Edited by mtl1977

What are these 'additional buyers' buying right now?

I don't think there are many consumers looking at this product. I don't think this product has any kind of cross-shop competitors.

And if Ford substantially revised the sheetmetal, they would have their upfitters and bodybuilders at their throats. The economy's kind of shaky right now, and Ford would be asking their third party customers to re-develop the products their selling to work with the new E-Series. This would not go over well.

As it stands, I don't think the redesign is all that bad. They got the assorted lines on the van line up, and the parts bin interior proves that the Crown Vic is not going to be soldiering off into retirement the only Ford product with the billion button stereo.

F-them the market is consumer driven.

would it be any easier for them to move thier bodies to a GM chassis than to a all new superior Ford chassis?

this can no longoer be business as usual. because when the enemy see weakness thay do attcak. rmember C/d C B minivan all those markets are nolong owned by ford because we gave it to the enemy.

mediocrity is no longer an excuse.

I agree! New sheet metal is sorely needed. The Chevrolet van is much more pleasing to look at. I understand that the quality and functionality are key for the commercial market, but Ford should also try to attract family consumers as well. Some people still swear by full size vans!

I think the "family consumers" are so far in the minority of Econoline sales, their voice is almost muted. Most families nowadays prefer their minivans and SUVs which offer more refinement and fuel economy (some of 'em, anyway).

I like a big, comfy van too...I feel your pain. More to the point, a big Econoline has often gotten my bands and their gear to the gigs with no second vehicle needed.

My big question with this: why no diesel?

My big question with this: why no diesel?

Ugh. I'm sick of hearing this. There hasn't been anything definitive one way or the other about the diesel. Guess we'll just have to wait until the order guides come out. I REALLY can't see them NOT offering it though.

I think the "family consumers" are so far in the minority of Econoline sales, their voice is almost muted. Most families nowadays prefer their minivans and SUVs which offer more refinement and fuel economy (some of 'em, anyway).

I was considering a 2007 E-150 Chateau until I saw the 14/18 fuel economy...same as my 4x4 F-150 that rode and handled great (averaged 13.5 mpg). Not about to get the same economy in a RWD van that handles like crap and isn't much fun to drive (weak 2v engine). Got a 2007 Grand Caravan instead, 18/25.

An AWD Chevy Express van priced out in the low-$30ks.

Ford f&^%ed up on the Freestar...this is the first non-Ford for anyone in my immediate family. Any van sucks to drive, but for the $$ and options, this thing blows the crap out of the Freestar. Now, build quality on the other hand...

No factory sunroof on the Ford? WTF?

Edited by mtl1977

A couple of things...

1) Stray Kat hit it on the head. This will look REALLY good when used as a cutaway for big boxes and motorhomes. I think that is where it will shine. For the rest of the market, most could care less about hte looks, as long as their gear still works. This is the same reason that the dash of the crown vic hasn't seen a major update in over a decade.

2) Also, for the dash, I believe that the E series now has a unique width as compared to the New superduty and F-150 interiors. So, just trying to reuse the dash panels from them won't work, they'll have to be unique parts anyway. Everything behind the dash is largely shared anyway, so, that's no biggie either.

3)I can't see ford being stupid enough to not offer the diesel. Looking at the front end, its oobvious that it was expanded to accomodate the new diesel. The old V-10 and 5.4L worked just fine in the old front, so the additional cooling line has to refer to the diesel. Being that the 6.4L generates more power, it would also likely generate more heat. Also, I believe that the diesel in the E-series in the last set of revisions had a slightly reduced power rating due to the tightness of the engine compartment. That should not be the case with the next revision. And, even if there was a space concern, Ford would, at the very least, offer the 4.5L v6 diesel from the LCF as a stop gap as it is essentially the 6.0L minus a bank of cylinders. Its still got pleny enough power for a sizeable chunk of buyers, and they'd likely appreciate its better fuel economy numbers anyway. Navistar still produces that thing and it could likely be sourced quickly enough. So, I see the 6.4L as being late availability, maybe in part for additional testing, and maybe to see what happens with this latest navistar spat.

Overall, given Ford's financial predicament, and given the state of that market, I find this update completely acceptable. Yes, the carryover interior may leave me wanting more, but, in reality, given the bulk of the market, it won't matter as long as it gets the job done. I just want them to have the diesel ready sooner rather than later.

Another thought, perhaps Ford is hoarding the 6.4L diesels at the moment for the superduties, suspecting that the navistar thing will go south?

2) Also, for the dash, I believe that the E series now has a unique width as compared to the New superduty and F-150 interiors. So, just trying to reuse the dash panels from them won't work, they'll have to be unique parts anyway. Everything behind the dash is largely shared anyway, so, that's no biggie either.

They could have at least used the F-150's steering wheel. That 2-spoke deal looks ridiculous and flimsy. Ford just flat out didn't try with this vehicle, and it shows. Whether they really needed to try is questionable, but they certainly didn't.

My father owns a construction company and has has four econlines we just "gave away" the 86 for a new f-150 but that 86 at 170k didnt burn a drop of oil and if you saw how this thing was worked you'd be suprised the 95 has 140k and looks new, interior quality is excellent I kid you not there is not one rattle in that thing after all those hard miles, but to get to my point this trucks are 95% of the time used for work and guys dont give a darn as long as its reliable and tough. I think the new front end gives it the superduty look I love but yes the interior should have not some loving GIVE THE THING A CHANCE

I didn't read every reply...

Anyone else catch this line - "All single rear-wheel models come standard with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)."

Single rear-wheel models. As opposed to what? Is there a new E-350 dually option? :rolleyes:

"An XLT Premium package replaces the Chateau for 2007 and features first and second row leather captain’s chairs, power driver seat, remote keyless entry, leather-wrapped steering wheel, privacy glass, special two-tone exterior paint, forged aluminum wheels, overhead console and running boards. "

Uh, I thought we were reading about the 2008 model?

Cutaways are dual rear wheels

My father owns a construction company and has has four econlines we just "gave away" the 86 for a new f-150 but that 86 at 170k didnt burn a drop of oil and if you saw how this thing was worked you'd be suprised the 95 has 140k and looks new, interior quality is excellent I kid you not there is not one rattle in that thing after all those hard miles, but to get to my point this trucks are 95% of the time used for work and guys dont give a darn as long as its reliable and tough. I think the new front end gives it the superduty look I love but yes the interior should have not some loving GIVE THE THING A CHANCE

we don't really have a choice do we? Maybe you guys have got me wrong...I just think Ford once again got over conservative when given a PERFECT opportunity to "raise the bar"....agreed styling is NOT a van selling point, but a little more imagination would definitely NOT hurt would it, and potentially attract a few more buyers, but Ford knows they will still sell so lets save a buck...but is that an excuse to in house chop shop? Someone in the styling dept needs to grow a spine...And Richard...love the Architect comment, question...would you rather live in a track or custom home.....LOL! Wonder what would happen if ford decided to be as adventurous on the new F-150 as this E-series....would everyone STILL be making excuses...

Wonder what would happen if ford decided to be as adventurous on the new F-150 as this E-series....would everyone STILL be making excuses...

That's precisely my point: If you want to go high-design, do it on a visible product with a high number of retail takers. There is no excuse for phoning in the design effort on the F-Series or the SD. And that's what I meant by the architect comment. Having established the overall look for their next-gen trucks with the SD: Why reinvent the wheel again, and yet again? Why not keep a family look.

Don't waste (and that's what I consider it: not laziness, but waste) designer hours trying to make the E-Series all funky.

That's precisely my point: If you want to go high-design, do it on a visible product with a high number of retail takers. There is no excuse for phoning in the design effort on the F-Series or the SD. And that's what I meant by the architect comment. Having established the overall look for their next-gen trucks with the SD: Why reinvent the wheel again, and yet again? Why not keep a family look.

Don't waste (and that's what I consider it: not laziness, but waste) designer hours trying to make the E-Series all funky.

don't think hours were spent...10 seconds on photoshop.....no need to re-invent anything...just a wasted opportunity to take additional steps above the competition...weak effort...even a three bar grille aka Fusion anything...but we don't want to let anyone know we made a true effort do we?....this wreeks of the "leave it pretty much alone, we really don't need to do anything to it because it will still sell" syndrome...wonder what would have happened if all of a sudden E-series sales dropped into the toilet because the competiotion raised the bar? Sick and tired of Ford being REACTIVE and NOT PRO_ACTIVE.....why not re-invent the wheel on a regular basis when given the opportunity...keeps the public interested and stimulated, granted this is just a van, but the premise of the overall philosophy stinks....