2009 Fusion

ds91776

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, according to Edmunds Long Term Test, the Camry's highway mileage is tad overstated. Also, in order to get that #1 acceleration rating, you have to use at least 91 octane to achieve the advertised 268HP (a fact that many seem to forget).

With gas prices being the way they are these days...who would buy a 4 door family sedan that requires premium fuel? Ford is acheving 260-265 HP on their Duratec 35 on regular unleaded, why can't Toyota if their engineering is supposed to be so superior???

Yes, I wish that Ford would drop the Duratec 35 into the Fusion to make it more competitive as far as horsepower is concerned. However would 263 HP (I think that is the MKZ's output) even be enough for some people on this message board? I don't exactly understand the obession with horsepower in a car class like this when the majority of sales center around the 4 cyl. models.

Ford needs to target the lower level Camrys and Accords with the Fusion in both 4 cyl and V6 trim and let the 2008 Taurus go head to head with the loaded V6 Camrys. The Taurus will be larger then the Camry, but considering the way the last Camry that I drove handled (2004) model, it might as well have been a bigger car, it drove like a boat. Numb is the best word to describe it. I know the Camry is all new since then so who knows, but what good is all that horsepower when the tires are squealing around corners and the body leans like a Park Avenue.

The Camry is not "all new." It just had a freshening.

BTW, 263hp would not be enough for some on here. It would need to have 325hp, because there is an Infinity/Lexus with a 3.5L that makes over 300hp. Then, they would still say it was not competitive because of the interior................ or the styling................. or the standard features/options................ or the warranty................. or the fact that it rides on a heavily messaged Mazda 6 platform............. or that it is assembled in Mexico............... or............... or..................

In other words, it will never be good enough.

On the subject of hp. My Tribute has 201hp, and a 4-speed auto. Once it was broken in, it has been a VERY peppy engine. Certainly enough to do anything that I have ever asked of it................... including being fun to drive. I drove a V6 Fusion, and drove it hard. It was very fun to drive, and the tight, new 221hp 3.0 was definitally faster than my Tribute. As a matter of fact, I commented to my husband that my Tribby would be even more fun with that engine/trans combo. The fact that there are 60-80 year olds (who I see driving the majority of the Camry's that I see), driving 268hp Camry's............... scares me. Well, that............... and I wonder why they need the hp, when they are always doing 10-20mph under the speed limit.

BTW2. 54K completely trouble free miles from my 3.0................. so far. Not one hiccup, not one drip of anything. I really could not ask for anything more.

The fact that there are 60-80 year olds (who I see driving the majority of the Camry's that I see), driving 268hp Camry's............... scares me. Well, that............... and I wonder why they need the hp, when they are always doing 10-20mph under the speed limit.

Not as scary as when they were driving '76 Fleetwoods (through banks and restaurants). I guess all that power helps keep that left signal flashing. :burnout:

The Camry is not "all new." It just had a freshening.

Its is not 100% new, But is "new" to be considered a model cycle, new sheetmetal, interiors, powertrain. Some people defend the escapes and focus's unnoticeable 2005 re-do's on the same level as the new camry's. I hope you are one to think like that.

Edited by DCK

Well, according to Edmunds Long Term Test, the Camry's highway mileage is tad overstated. Also, in order to get that #1 acceleration rating, you have to use at least 91 octane to achieve the advertised 268HP (a fact that many seem to forget).

Of course what no one wants to admit here is that with the Camry, you have the option of more power or better gas milage. You do not with the Fusion...

I also agree that a car like the Camry or Fusion might not need 250+hp, it is nice to have the option and that is what attracts people to the dealership to take a look. As for how many people want the power all I can say is that three of the 30 sales people at my company bought a 2007 V6 Camry because of the extra power. Two of the three used to own Fords....

Edited by sranger

The people that keep supporting the lower-hp Fusion V6 are missing the fact that people who buy V6 midsize sedans DO care about power. Those who don't care about power aren't buying the V6 models, they're buying the fuel-sipping 4-bangers. When people are willing to spend a few thousand dollars more for a V6 they're looking for power, and right now the V6 Fusion is at the lower mid-range of the midsize V6 sedan market and if all they do is bump the 3.0L to 240hp they will remain there as more competitors move ahead with larger more powerful V6's. That would be a shame, not because the Fusion wouldn't still be an excellent car but because it will keep the Fusion from even being considered by many V6 shoppers.

It is a fact Ford should be pointing out in its advertising.

What are they going to point out?

"The Toyota Camry requires 91 octane to achieve its 268 horsepower rating. If you use 87 octane, it only makes 250 horsepower -- oh wait...that's still almost 30 more horsepower than our Fusion. Nevermind."

Of course what no one wants to admit here is that with the Camry, you have the option of more power or better gas milage. You do not with the Fusion..

So what you're saying is that if you use regular gas, you get better mileage than if you use premium but you sacrifice power. Would you mind providing some type of back up to that statement because all I've read is that using regular reduces power but I have yet to see anything that says gas mileage improves.

So what you're saying is that if you use regular gas, you get better mileage than if you use premium but you sacrifice power. Would you mind providing some type of back up to that statement because all I've read is that using regular reduces power but I have yet to see anything that says gas mileage improves.

ut wo

NO!

What I was saying is that if driven normally with either regular of premium fuel the Camry gets better gas milaeg than the Fusion. However, if you want to push the gas a little farther down, you can have the power but will use more fuel... In other words, it is the user's choice...

I also like have the option of 268hp or 250hp depending on what fuel I want to use... Nice option...

ut wo

NO!

What I was saying is that if driven normally with either regular of premium fuel the Camry gets better gas milaeg than the Fusion. However, if you want to push the gas a little farther down, you can have the power but will use more fuel... In other words, it is the user's choice...

I also like have the option of 268hp or 250hp depending on what fuel I want to use... Nice option...

I see.

I'd love to see the 3.5L in the Fusion. The RCO is up on my Escape next year and I really don't want another SUV. I'd love to have an AWD Fusion with the 3.5L but I fear it won't happen by then. I guess I'll have to check out the Taurus.

I see.

I'd love to see the 3.5L in the Fusion. The RCO is up on my Escape next year and I really don't want another SUV. I'd love to have an AWD Fusion with the 3.5L but I fear it won't happen by then. I guess I'll have to check out the Taurus.

Exactly,

Drop in the 3.5L with the AWD you have a class leading not lagging auto....

Of course the way Ford has been acting lately, they would probably drop in the 3.5L and go back to drum brakes and a 4 speed auto...

The 3.5 motor would make the Fusion fully competitive within class...just joicing the 3.0 to 240 hp looks horribly like the Fusion is MEANT to be the sub-Hyundai bargain model. Think of the nasty, clear lighters for people too cheap fora Bic.

A 3.5 AWD Fusion would be very desirable to me, and I'd consider buying it even with a mandatory auto. Seeing other midsize sedans offering so much more power (without a real cost in fuel efficiency) makes me want to hold out for Ford to do better.

I know others that would happily put their money up for a Fusion thus equipped...and there are scores of others all over the 'net that have rung in similarly.

The 3.5 motor would make the Fusion fully competitive within class...just joicing the 3.0 to 240 hp looks horribly like the Fusion is MEANT to be the sub-Hyundai bargain model. Think of the nasty, clear lighters for people too cheap fora Bic.

A 3.5 AWD Fusion would be very desirable to me, and I'd consider buying it even with a mandatory auto. Seeing other midsize sedans offering so much more power (without a real cost in fuel efficiency) makes me want to hold out for Ford to do better.

I know others that would happily put their money up for a Fusion thus equipped...and there are scores of others all over the 'net that have rung in similarly.

I'd much rather have the GTDI I4 and AWD if its putting out numbers over 260 HP, plus you'll get better MPG out of it...

Anyways getting off topic,most people shopping for an Sedan don't give a flying fuck about 1/4 times, and thats all the difference your going to see with having a 240 vs 268 HP engine...it doesn't make that big of a difference in every day driving.

Its a pretty sorry state of affairs if people have to use an every day sedan to measure their penises with based on HP.

I'd rather have a car that had 10-15 HP less then its competion if it got 2-3 MPG gallons better then that same competion. I believe your going to see the end of higher and higher HP numbers for better MPG ratings.

I'd rather have a car that had 10-15 HP less then its competion if it got 2-3 MPG gallons better then that same competion. I believe your going to see the end of higher and higher HP numbers for better MPG ratings.

The problem is that the competition has more HP and BETTER Fuel milage....

seems to me there is a common vein in this thread..that total sales indicate a better car....NOT true...Camry's and Accords sales are bolstered by people taking the easy way out and basing a buying decision on word of mouth, CR and the like, and perhaps previous experience. They are souless mainstream cars that have done something that Fords Fusion can only hope to assertain one day...blind loyalists. In all sincerity at least the Fusion is a little different but I am afraid to say all three DO border on average mediocrity...BUT that is precisely the market they are aimed at! And for the yo'yos that keep touting zero to sixty and the blah blah blahs....will you get off that train...if that is important to you, you are looking at the wrong vehicles....the majority of Camry and Accord buyers putt putt to Vons in Leisure/ seizure world to clip coupons in the wrong line/ Store...BUT...they HAVE purchased a vehicle they heard will last as long as they will...when was the last time someone said they bought aCamry because it was "SPORTY"....yo-yo's

Edited by Deanh

For 2009 I would like to see (in addition to what we already know):

A sports-package that includes body cladding (a la Mazda6) and a stiffer suspension

Available 6-speed manual borrowed from the Mazda6

Optional 18-inch chrome rims on SEL models

Iced-blue interior lights

Rear seat air/heat vents

A glove-box light!!!

I think all are very feasible... Nonetheless, the current Fusion is a very competent and competitive product from Ford.

seems to me there is a common vein in this thread..that total sales indicate a better car....NOT true...Camry's and Accords sales are bolstered by people taking the easy way out and basing a buying decision on word of mouth, CR and the like, and perhaps previous experience.

For the record, CR in its most recent edition recommended the Fusion and gave it a very positive review. On the downside however, both version of the Mustang (V6 and GT) are now ranked as worse than average reliability. Also, when Ford was selling 400 thousand Taurus cars where those people taking the easy way out?