Why buy a FORD

I can not seem to get a real answer from anyone about this. I am not talking about buy american, or quality or the usual run of the mill answers. Why buy a Ford?

Here is what you are up against,

1. I dont work at Ford or any other automotive company.(so i dont get a employee discount)

2. The automotive industry does not effect my job.

3. Nobody in my family works or is effected by the automotive companies.(no im not a movie star)

So I ask you again, why buy a Ford? why buy an american car?

------------------------things i have heard-----------------------------------------------------------

*Why am I good enough to buy a Ford but not good enough to build a Ford?

*Ford lays off 30,000 Employees, do you think those 30,000 will buy Fords?

*I once asked this Indian guy I once worked with why he drove a Honda, He told me his brothers friend worked for a company that was engineering parts to break after time on american cars, yes this might be a rumor, but it reflects the reasons why all the H1B people donot drive american.

First you have to be more concise about your questions or they'll come back to bite you in the ass, especially with the grammar majors around here. For instance.

I am not talking about buy american, or quality or the usual run of the mill answers
Followed by.

why buy an american car?

Are you talking about buying American or not.

There is no one single reason you should buy a Ford or any car or anything for that matter. For some people, the simple fact that it's American is enough, for others it's not. In the end I guess it basically comes down to if Ford makes a vehicle that you like, that fits your needs, that you can afford and you like it, then you should buy it. But in the end there are probably numerous vehicles on the market that will fit your needs, that you like and can afford that are not Ford. So really the question you are asking is, why shouldn't you buy Ford?

Ya ya ya, I went through english class 3 times, im alot better at math.

But this is the best answer I have seen in along time, this is the kind of stuff that should be used by the marketing department.

Very excellent answer.

So really the question you are asking is, why shouldn't you buy Ford?

I have family that works for FORD. Six years ago, I could have bought a FORD - there was nothing I would drive or spend my money on. I bought a Toyota. I am young single well employed woman who likes to drive a stylish but not necessarily expensive vehicle. I have an Edge on order. WHY?

The Edge is an attractive vehicle, well priced, takes unleaded gas, decent MPGs for what it is and yes, I am supporting the local Cdn auto industry. My toyota was also built locally. Before my toyota, I drove a GM for six years. So far, all my vehicles have held the test of time well. Why I am selling my Toyota - I had 2 choices - drive til its worth nothing, OR sell it for a decent price and put the cash towards something new.

I was excited about the Edge everytime I saw it - I took for a test drive - and it drove like my coupe. That sold me. BONUS - I get an aid plan price.

My coworkers gave a rough time for buying FORD - even tried to persuade to foreign versions. I said forget it - I like the Edge, I drove it and it will be fine.

Prove me right, so that I can show them in the parking lot - its worth buying North American made cars - now and 6 years from now.

I bought Ford because the vehicle i decided to buy was the best fit to what i was looking for and felt the best within those parameters. It happened to be a brand spanking new Edge, i read plenty about it and other vehicles. I tried all those that interested me on paper and the Edge won me over compared to all the other regular mainstream brands on my list. I also dont have any current or cognitive connection with Ford (well my grandfather who died before i was born worked at Dagenham in England), however i have owned and Ford's before, but my last car was a Nissan - which was the worst car i have ever owned or driven - my question might be "why buy Nissan?" the only reason i can think of would be price, but you get what you pay for!

Why? Why not? I helped my dad shop for a Ford, he works for Ford now and retires driving a Ford. Nonetheless, I am in the camp of where if you like the car, buy it. I won't stop you (nobody should). I'm cheap and drive a Honda and getting rid of it soon. I get a better deal because of the family plan but I will shop around for the best deal. My roommate drives a Mazda 3 and My girlfriend drives a Honda. I like the 3 but if the dealer treats me like dirt, I'll go the distance to another Mazda dealer for a 3. Seriously, why shouldn't you buy a Ford? I can't afford a Mustang, don't need a CUV/SUV. I drove a Focus ST and if I can get a deal, I am sold.

Its the dealerships. I have several friends of mine who cannot stand the outdated look and feel of the service centers and the Ford & Lincoln/Mercury dealership experience.

I went through it twice. Only because I had an X-Plan PIN. Even then, I still got jerked around by dealers who would pull the bait and switch about the availability of a vehicle or the pricing. And when I finally struck a deal, it still took too darn long (nearly 3 hours for each vehicle purchase from two different dealerships) to finally get the keys and leave. Both times the vehicles were not fully detailed and required additional prep after I got them home.

Then when I go for service, the waiting room has no complimentary coffee or television or newspapers. And I generally have to leave the vehicle the whole day for a simple oil change and tire rotation. Now that is just bullshit.

So why did I buy a Ford? It just so happens the Mustang GT Convertible and the Mountaineer Premier had exactly what I desired at the time I bought them. There was no better vehicle in either class for what I was looking for.

There are a number of people in my office who might trade their imports, but the ones who are considering it are looking at GM because of the stronger warranty and sportier styling of the Corvette and SUV's.

Why buy a Ford Fusion?

Because it's a stellar four-door sedan vehicle that is not bland to drive like a CamCord, bland to look at like a Malibu, doesn't give an "unprofessional" image like a Pontiac G6, isn't bloated like a Nissan and simply isn't a POS Hyundai, Kia or Chrysler.

Your questions?

I drive one because im a big time Ford guy and my dad is a Ford Motor Co. employee (30 yrs). In my personal opinion I think Ford makes the best pickups in the indusrty. As a matter of fact my parents just bought a F-150 a couple of weeks ago and they love it. I also think that thier cars are very underrated in terms of quality especially the 500 er I mean the Tauras yeah it may lok bland as hell but it has a very nice interior and its tops in its class when it comes to safety. I think alot of people ask this question because the media is warping thier minds with this crap about how the Japanese make the best cars and trucks when in reality they don't, for example Toyota led all manufacturers for most recalls in a year. So thats all the reasons I have and hopefully it awnsers your question.

I can not seem to get a real answer from anyone about this. I am not talking about buy american, or quality or the usual run of the mill answers. Why buy a Ford?

Here is what you are up against,

1. I dont work at Ford or any other automotive company.(so i dont get a employee discount)

2. The automotive industry does not effect my job.

3. Nobody in my family works or is effected by the automotive companies.(no im not a movie star)

So I ask you again, why buy a Ford? why buy an american car?

------------------------things i have heard-----------------------------------------------------------

*Why am I good enough to buy a Ford but not good enough to build a Ford?

*Ford lays off 30,000 Employees, do you think those 30,000 will buy Fords?

*I once asked this Indian guy I once worked with why he drove a Honda, He told me his brothers friend worked for a company that was engineering parts to break after time on american cars, yes this might be a rumor, but it reflects the reasons why all the H1B people donot drive american.

I have grave concern for our economic and industrial security, that's my reason for buying American.

I bought a Ford because.....

- The car I purchased was done so at a reasonable sticker price

- The build quality was up to snuff

- It stands out from the rest of the mid-size crowd

....and so far I haven't had a single mechanical, electrical, or build quality issue with the car

That said, there are a few gaps in their product protfolio. The small entry level lux market deserves a bit tweaking for example.

I bought a Ford because I wanted a truck. I droven many GM & Ford work trucks when I was in college, and I guess that left an impression. When I relocating to New Jersey, I was able to buy a new vehicle for the first time, and also I needed a truck to move with, so I bought a F150. Ever since then, it's all Ford.

I never bought a Japanese car because I grew up in the rural midwest, and Japanese cars just don't last very long on brutal semi-paved roads. Plus when you're driving out there in the middle of no where...the feel of a Honda/Toyota is like...sitting next to a microwave waiting for your hot pockets to be done. I will always have that feeling of open road & wide open country with me.

Now German cars I just plain dislike because of the people in Jersey that drives them...I know that isn't fair because I never owned one, but if you ever been in Jersey, you know what I mean.

In 1998, I bought an F-150. I wanted something durable and that could do what I needed it to do. It gave me 50K miles of completely trouble free service until I traded it in on a minivan for my wife. In 2005, when I went to go replace my wife's old 92 accord that had gotten flooded in Katrina, I knew I wanted a compact sedan or something like it. I tried the local ford dealership, the chevy dealership, bypased the neons completely. Why didn't I get a car from any of them? I tried several times, but I didn't have enough money to put down on them for a finance company to be willing to finance me (my credit stinks due to me being laid off back in January of 2004 and almost going bankrupt trying to get another job down here). Why wouldn't they finance me, even at the punitively high bad credit rates of 18% around here? The car's depreciated so rapidly the instant that they left the lot that the credit companies didn't want to take the risk.

I went to a toyota dealership, offer 5 grand down on a corolla S at 500 over invoice and drove away an hour later. While I was there, they gave my kids popcorn and soda, had a play area for them. I had free coffee. While they were waiting on the credit approval paperwork to come back, they let my wife testdrive a new sienna even though we wouldn't be in the market for years. I was financed and even managed to afford to extend the warranty on the vehicle for a reasonable price and fit it into the loan. Then, 6 months later, I was able to get refinanced by another lender for a more reasonable rate. That's six months later. The car is significantly more depreciated at that point and I've only made 5 payments. I could never have done that with a domestic compact.

That's why I bought a Corolla. And, now that gas prices have gone through the roof, I'm even happier that I have it over the focus as those extra several mpg in the city and highway that it makes are saving me money at the pump each time I fill up.

In the future, would I consider a Ford or GM product? Definitely. We're going to replace the minivan in a few years when the Corolla is paid off. We're going to likely get either another minivan or a three row crossover. If I was shopping right now, I'd be looking at the Taurus X, the Flex, the CX-9, and the GM Lambda's. I'd even look at the next caravan/town and country. But, this time around, I'm also going to look at the Sedona/Entourage. Why? Because my neighbor has a Sedona that he bought in late 2005 and it hasn't been in the shop a day since he bought it for anything but an oil change. He's got 30K miles on it, all city in this pothole infested wasteland of poor street upkeep and aligntment places that are always busy. And comparing that Sedona to our 02 caravan sport, he got a much nicer vehicle for about $500 more than what we paid out the door. And, he gets about the same gas mileage in the city with that as we do in the caravan, and that thing is much roomier.

Well,

I bough the 1995 Ranger because I though it was better than the other small trucks at the time and it have a 4.0L V6 and decent towing capacity.

I bought the 2000 F150 because I really like the way it looked and it was very comfortable and had good handling and performance.

I bought the 2005 Mustang because it wanted a fun car to play around with. It was reasonably cheap for the performance level and there were a ton of aftermarket parts to customize it any way I wanted. I settled for a 500hp Saleen S/C upgrade, painted stripes, wheels and a few suspension mods....( Probably would not do it again however... )

I bought the 2005 Mariner because it suited my needs for a company vehicle and at the time my company required that we buy a Ford, GM or Chrysler. However, the main reason is that I got it REALLY CHEAP... About 3K Below Invoice... I really do not like it, but it was cheap and gets reasonable gas milage. It is way too loud on the highway!!!! I am ready for somthing else...

I've always bought Ford because if they continue to provide me with reliable service, why not. I'm on my 3rd LS, the first 2 lasting well over 100K with no issues. Ford does know how to make RWD/V8 work reliably. Having friends who have had sludge engine issues with their Camry's, blown up transmission in Hondas, POS VW's, I say I'm quite lucky. Even my mother who has done German a few times, have been burned by it where she ran back to Ford.

Granted, next year again I'm ready to purchase another V8, possibly a RWD biased AWD vehicle, would love a coupe, but yet Ford hasn't tapped this market in awhile...Which is why I've had 3 LS's so far. So I'm growing frustrated about that. Closest thing is an XK8, but I dont feel it offers anything different, and it's engines need a boost as well for the price. And the C70 is a bit small for my long legs. And Lincoln seems to be "thinking" about a coupe in maybe 4 years from now and I can tell you, with the mileage I put on my vehicles, I can't wait that long so most probably it'll be a MKS.

Everyone has their own reason why they buy cars, you like the looks, you like the way it drives, maybe you like history and like the heritage of a company.. its different strokes for different folks...

mine is reason is because of Alan Kulwicki, local nascar champion, he drove a Tbird, i wanted too as well.. and well after owning hyundai scoupe and toyota tercel, both where giant lumps of trash and small pos... althought i routed for fords in racing my first 2 werent as i really couldnt afford what i wanted, but in 1995 i finally got me a ford, a 1993 V8 Tbird and since them only fords, 4 of them... 1993 Tbird, 1997 Tbird, 1999 Contour and now my fusion, none have ever died on me, i have never had any in shop for more than 1 day for mechanic reasons...

so i ask.. why should i not buy a ford?

but really, its the heritage and history of the company for me...

Edited by MGallun

If you live on the North American Continent, then the American Automotive Industry DOES effect your job.

We are all economically connected.

For example, Toyota sales displace Ford sales. A portion of that money goes back to Japan as profits. If Ford had made the profits instead of Toyota, that money would have stayed in the US and taxed here in the US. So, the federal government now runs at a deficit, due to more money leaving the country (and many other reasons). Your taxes will eventually need to be increased to make up the difference. So, like it or not, you have been effected by the Auto Industry. This is one over simplified example, but the moral of the story is that you cannont say you are not effected by any domestic industry.

If you live on the North American Continent, then the American Automotive Industry DOES effect your job.

We are all economically connected.

For example, Toyota sales displace Ford sales. A portion of that money goes back to Japan as profits. If Ford had made the profits instead of Toyota, that money would have stayed in the US and taxed here in the US. So, the federal government now runs at a deficit, due to more money leaving the country (and many other reasons). Your taxes will eventually need to be increased to make up the difference. So, like it or not, you have been effected by the Auto Industry. This is one over simplified example, but the moral of the story is that you cannont say you are not effected by any domestic industry.

The flipside to that argument is, where would we be without Toyota? We'd all still be driving '82 Granadas, that's where. Toyota and others have forced the hands of domestic automakers to finally IMPROVE their product. There was no catalyst in the market prior to the proliferation of quality imports to force the domestics to make better products. If Ford and GM end up succeeding in the long term, we can all thank Toyota and Honda for it for forcing them to finally market a quality product.

Why buy a Ford? If they have the vehicle that you want then you should go for it. If not then you should go somewhere else. It's your money. You shouldn't spend it on something you are not totally pleased with because of some PC bull. Although I try to purchase as close to American as possible but that is my own preferance.

I bought my Mustang GT's because I wanted a fast car with good styling. The F bodies didn't fit the bill at the time.

I bought my Cougar because it was a hot car at the time.

I bought my Thunderbird because I have always dreamed of owning a '57 and this way, I got the best of both worlds (retro styling and modern engineering) with my '02.

Now if I was to buy right this second it would be a Dodge Charger. Mostly because Ford does not offer a car in that class with a V8 that will kick butt. That plus I just personally prefer the Charger styling to the Fusion.

So you have to decide what is best for you.

The flipside to that argument is, where would we be without Toyota? We'd all still be driving '82 Granadas, that's where. Toyota and others have forced the hands of domestic automakers to finally IMPROVE their product. There was no catalyst in the market prior to the proliferation of quality imports to force the domestics to make better products. If Ford and GM end up succeeding in the long term, we can all thank Toyota and Honda for it for forcing them to finally market a quality product.

I don't agree with this. You are looking at the Big 3 as if they are one company and assuming there was no competition between them prior to the Japanese.

If this were the case, in 1982 we would still be driving Model T's

It wasn't like Toyota came over with an 07 Camry quality car in 1980.

The point was to explain that nobody can say: " The US Auto Industry does not effect my job"

I don't agree with this. You are looking at the Big 3 as if they are one company and assuming there was no competition between them prior to the Japanese.

If this were the case, in 1982 we would still be driving Model T's

It wasn't like Toyota came over with an 07 Camry quality car in 1980.

But it seemed at the time that the Big 3 were in cahoots regarding quality. Obviously cars COULD have been more reliable. Toyota and Honda proved it. GM, Ford, and Chrysler just all chose not to build higher quality vehicles for the sake of squeezing more money out of the consumer.