Toyota Lays Off 370 Workers in USA

range

LINK

"Temporary" workers (many whom have been working for Toyota for years) are cast aside in Indiana.

Toyota had 4700 workers and up to 1570 "temporary" workers before this layoff.

That seems like a high percentage of "temporary" workers, and an employee of "several years" seems like more than a "temporary worker".

LINK

"Temporary" workers (many whom have been working for Toyota for years) are cast aside in Indiana.

Toyota had 4700 workers and up to 1570 "temporary" workers before this layoff.

That seems like a high percentage of "temporary" workers, and an employee of "several years" seems like more than a "temporary worker".

The temporary workers don't work directly for Toyota, they work for the company called Personnel Management:

TMMI has used a company called Personnel Management to acquire these temporary workers, and is working with the agency to help find other jobs for them. The employees got their pink slips this week. None of TMMI's regular work force of 4,700 is effected by the layoffs.

Personnel Management will still have a contract with TMMI to supply 1,000 to 1,200 workers at the facility.

Looks like Toyota extended the supply contract as long as they could:

TMMI says the workers had been used to help start up the San Antonio plant, and were also used for pilot production programs on the Sequoia SUV and Tundra pickup. Once full-scale production starts up, the pilot workers are no longer needed. Declining demand for the Sequoia also contributed to the decision, according to Kelly Dillon, a TMMI spokesperson.
Edited by jpd80

This wouldn't've happened if they hadn't built that white elephant in Texas.

They must figure if they keep building them, the public will keep buying them.

Well they figured they could strong arm their way into the pickup market, taking the rest of their competition for granted.

They can't even get the right volume and package mix of Tundras on the lot, due to their reluctance to stock a higher inventory of those vehicles. See where arrogance gets you.........

Must be a California thing but unfortunatly I've seen around 10 new Tundras and Zero 08 Superduty's. In fact the same f-250 @ Worthington Ford has still been on the lot since early Feb, no mark-up either. The dealer we just got our Edge at has two F-450's and one F250 that haven't moved in a few weeks. Lots of new Chebbies and GMC's seem to be running around also.

Must be a California thing but unfortunatly I've seen around 10 new Tundras and Zero 08 Superduty's. In fact the same f-250 @ Worthington Ford has still been on the lot since early Feb, no mark-up either. The dealer we just got our Edge at has two F-450's and one F250 that haven't moved in a few weeks. Lots of new Chebbies and GMC's seem to be running around also.

Nope, I'm in Maryland. I've seen a total of 2 new Tundras actually being driven by owners. 1 was in the parking lot at work here for one day and haven't seen it since. The other was in Florida when I was on vacation. I haven't seen more than a couple '08 Super Duties yet either though. It might be worth noting that there's probably a much greater chance that a Super Duty won't be spending as much time on public roads as a Tundra though. A lot of them spend 90% of their lives in the fields on a farm or rolling around in some muddy construction site.

Edited by NickF1011

We'll the reason is because I would say that wouldn't be peoples first choice out there....the dealers where I live keep about 10-20 super duties in stock and their constantly moving.

I have yet to see any 08 Super Duties on the road yet, but I'm assuming thats partly because of the recall/stop sale that got issued on them.

Last Saturday I was in MD from Jersey, and I saw half dozen Edges in my 300 mile round trip...I was impressed.

There is a ton of them out west on railcars waiting for convoy units.

a bar owner by me had a 99 F150 2wd... he wanted a new truck.. guess he looked at them all.. yota, dodge, chevy... he got a 07 F150 FX4.. man is that a pretty truck!

he said the toyota felt faster, but the interior was "cheap".. said his old F150 did him no wrong for 99k miles... so he couldnt justify buying anything else..

but to hear somebody say a toyota interior is "cheap" made my day..

oh, i have seen 1 new tundra in milwaukee... 1.. i have seen 2 new superdutys on road.. went up north.. i saw about 10 more on farms.. no tundras thou.. one local toyota dealer had a add on TV for last weekend special sale on new tundras... 5k off! lol.[/

Edited by MGallun

There is a ton of them out west on railcars waiting for convoy units.

I'm in Texas and I see the new Tundras all the time. The crewcab is v. popular around the Houston/Sugar Land area. I've seen several plain, white regular cab New Tundras as well. I'd say they are pretty darn popular. I'd say they are as common as the Titan was when it debuted. Yet even, FORD is still #1 around here...

The Princeton, Indiana Toyota plant is about 30 minutes away from where I live. So of course, the Temp layoffs were big news as the plant employees quite a few people from the area. They are playing it off like the layoff of temp workers was expected. It wasn't expected, regardless of what Toyota says publicly. In my opinion, they made a mistake in their production/sales projections for the Tundra and the Sequoia and just don't want to admit it.

I'm in Texas and I see the new Tundras all the time. The crewcab is v. popular around the Houston/Sugar Land area. I've seen several plain, white regular cab New Tundras as well. I'd say they are pretty darn popular. I'd say they are as common as the Titan was when it debuted. Yet even, FORD is still #1 around here...

It is the Super Duties with shipping issues and the Tundras with product mix problems.

Yep it is a California thing.

When I went down to Texas last year I purposely looked for pick-ups on my venture.

My plane landed in San Antonio and after a few drinks at Dicks on the Riverwalk we headed back to "her" house which was in Corpus Christi, Tx for the weekend.

The trip was about two hours and it was all highway once we left San Antonio.

I noticed SEVERAL Ford pick ups as well as Chevy's. Many new but there were a few odd ball oldies in there.

I guess what I am trying to say breaks down into two parts:

Toyota is going to have a hard time competing in Texas, and the rest of the U.S. for that matter. Especially if they are looking at making a foothold in Texas. Aint gonna happen if what I saw stays true to the game.

And...I want to visit San Antonio/Corpus again A-SAP.

Edited by Josh Oliver

I wonder if Toyota has considered selling large quantities of their product to fleet and then when that doesn't work they can pay all the layed off workers to not work and when that doesn't work pay the laid off workers to quit. And when that doesn't work....

When I went down to Texas last year I purposely looked for pick-ups on my venture.

My plane landed in San Antonio and after a few drinks at Dicks on the Riverwalk we headed back to "her" house which was in Corpus Christi, Tx for the weekend.

The trip was about two hours and it was all highway once we left San Antonio.

I noticed SEVERAL Ford pick ups as well as Chevy's. Many new but there were a few odd ball oldies in there.

I guess what I am trying to say breaks down into two parts:

Toyota is going to have a hard time competing in Texas, and the rest of the U.S. for that matter. Especially if they are looking at making a foothold in Texas. Aint gonna happen if what I saw stays true to the game.

And...I want to visit San Antonio/Corpus again A-SAP.

Looks like they'll target larger cities where buyer resistance isn't as large.