Motortrend on the Ranger....

suv_guy_19

...Don't make a ranger that competes with the Tacoma, make one that competes with Subaru.

Which Subaru are you wanting to compete with? If it's the Baja, they haven't built any in over a year and they still haven't sold all of them. Real big market there.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i beleve that there is a strong brand in the Ranger.

Why could we expand that brand into something more.

Tha ranger represents, affordable, youthful, reliable and fun.

with minimal investment we could expand the next ranger into much more.

Following the wranglers example.

growing from strong foudation in p/U expanding to become a true multipurpose vehicle.

I propose:

classic regular cab 110in wb

super cab 125in Wb

crew cab 125in WB

4 door wagon soft/hard top 110in WB

2 door off roader soft/hard top 110in wB

design of all vehicles would be derived from bronco concept.

the idea is to market the ranger as a lifestyle vehicle not as simply a truck.

this is the only way we can provide the NA volume to support the cost of replacing the current ranger. volume would be ~180,000 in the US and the ROTW volume would be 150-180,000 units.

I'm happy with my 4.0 V6 for offroad.

good solid engine but antiquated, and seemingly no power... ...THAT and I got the same Mileage in my Ranger 4.0 4x4 as I did with my F150 5.4 4x4....I was SOOOOOO dissappointed and it was gutless too...perhaps that is why the mileage was lousy...my foot was always in it to get anywhere...the 5.4 was just small throttle adjustments in comparison.......all my ranger did was make me miss my F-150..........

Which Subaru are you wanting to compete with? If it's the Baja, they haven't built any in over a year and they still haven't sold all of them. Real big market there.

No, no my friend. Don't think in terms of a specific model but more in terms of the idea behind them. First, should we make all Rangers AWD? I don't know, something to think about. I think even if we do the true 4WD models should be a true 4WD system not an AWD system. Second, keep them fuel efficient, something we've covered already with respect to the diesel and such. Third, don't skimp on the interior and option content or omit it completely all in the name of selling Rangers to some guy who "Just wants a basic truck!!" lol Fine have some basic trucks, but also offer the Ranger with some option content like those I have previously pointed out in this thread. With respect to that, I personally think the most noted things are a system that holds the front and rear doors in a fixed open position regardless of the trucks parked angle on extended cab models where you have conventional doors up front and the smaller suicide doors behind. The fold flat passenger seat with hard plastic tray on the back is another. Storage bins built into the bed side that open to the outside and another in the bed itself akin to the Ridgeline. The drop down / swing open tailgate unless of course that technology is patented. And finally a nice interior, well designed, with plenty of sedan like options i.e. outside temp, info center, auto headlamps, p.w., p.l, cruise, consoles, etc. You can read the whole list on my previous post.

Edited by BlackHorse

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new here. I am a Ford tech and own/owned a few rangers. My wife drives a Fusion SEL-- we both love it.

This is my idea of a new Ranger ,if --- THAT is a BIG IF-- corporate Ford is reading these forums, this is what I'd like to see:

The so-called Thailand Ranger is close to what I think is needed but with more NA style exterior ie F-150 and jazz up the interior somewhat.

Diesel option for sure. If Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty can offer a diesel, so can Ford.

Keep it close to the same size. Maybe slightly larger. I like the current size myself.

Reg/extend/4 door cab.

2wd/4wd. A solid front axle would be killer-- again, Jeep does-- but not likely,I'm sure.

Manual transfer case!!! Please put a lever back on the dang thing like it should !!!!!

Options,options,options !! Let people have a decked out regular cab 4x4 or a plain jane 4 door.

Market it like the Xterra like the early 2000's-- rugged and fun. And can haul a few 4x8 plywood panels,tow a small camper,quads,jet-skis ect.

Get the aftermarket on board and make some deals to customize it more-- lift kits,lowering kits, bumpers,bed covers and such.

I will be first in line for the 4 door diesel Ranger.

Edited by BENT BOLT

The KISS rule applies! (keep it simple stupid). Like a lot of people have said, Stick to the original size, add a diesel- the Euro Fords are home runs right?-and play to the market that calls for a rugged basic vehicle that can serve as an inexpensive second vehicle or commercially can serve as an inexpensive fleet truck. For example, I would say current Rangers are the vehicle of choice for most auto parts outfits around here- no need to carry a lot but something that is nimble and an 18 yr. old or a retired blue head can feel comfortable in.

The market is there. Ford owned it once, they can do it again.

PS My first Ranger, an 89 3.0 5 spd 4 x 4 supercab taught my two sons how to drive a stick and with almost 200,000 on it, is now serving a farmer friend of mine well -on its second transmission. I now have an 04 FX 4 Level II that one of my kids bought new and then "handed down" to me -at a high price-when he bought a new Freestyle. Great little truck. Only thing that would make me get rid of it would be the thought of a diesel Ranger. Do I need it? No. Would I buy it- yes!

my Ranger is a great little truck. just tinted the windows today in it to help with the summer heat. then promptly threw twelve 94lb bags of concrete mix in the back to help a friend out. great little trucks that come in handy like you cant believe.

• 3 weeks later...
Why can't there be both? Keep the Ranger in it's current dimensions, but updated. Bring in a true midsized truck, and call it the F-100.

You mean like a F-100 that is based on the Sport Trac, only a std. and s/c? I thought the S.T. was based on the Exploder which is based on the F-150, which is being redesigned/reengineered/freshened as it's getting old... :stirpot:

OK, I suppose that'll work for a stop gap. But they need to build a new small truck with great gas mileage. We are going to be shrinking the cars and trucks again. And go through a new round of it's European styling like in the eighties. What ya say? :doh:

I say keep the Ranger just the way it is, made in USA, but with three changes: Put in a new F-150-style interior. Bring back the flareside box. Offer a diesel option.

I would import the Falcon UTE in left side drive for a couple of years until we can regain fuel price stability. Then introduce a Ranger redesign!BlobServer.jpg

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 4 weeks later...

Build the Ranger on a "Flex" type chassis (D3) setup, then bring the new "Global Ranger" design to NA and dub it the F-100. Ranger will appeal to the small truck market, while F-100 will take on Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, and Dakota. It seems a safe bet that F-150 will be getting bigger with the next redesign, so Ford needs a bit of a re-alignment to cover all segments.

You mean like a F-100 that is based on the Sport Trac, only a std. and s/c? I thought the S.T. was based on the Exploder which is based on the F-150, which is being redesigned/reengineered/freshened as it's getting old... :stirpot:

Keep stirring. It won't do any good.

F100 is dead.

Sport Trac is a "dead man walking".

Rangers only shot is the global Ranger and I'm betting it will happen. When, what powertrains and where it will be built are still up in the air.

Keep stirring. It won't do any good.

F100 is dead.

Sport Trac is a "dead man walking".

Rangers only shot is the global Ranger and I'm betting it will happen. When, what powertrains and where it will be built are still up in the air.

How can Ford be so incredibly dumb as to abandon a huge and important segment like compact trucks??? Who makes these bone-headed decisions at Ford?

i saw look back at it roots,,the 2.9 was 140 horse power..yes i know it is less then the 3.0 but its torue is more than the 3.0 at a lower rpm...it was a truck engine.....put in a truck engine to replace the 3.0....make that it's biggest motor...and have a 4banger turbo diesle...and have the suspention set up like the new f150s with coil over....make it more like a truck than what it is turning into...a car that is why i will stay with my gen 1 and 2 rangers...they are trucks...hel the doors sound like a truck when you close them...nd they are simple.....make the truck a truck and non car crap

Been out for awhile and ran across this from BlackHorse,

Another concept, based on the 4Trac? Looks pretty good.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108294#3

If this is the the new Ranger sign me up for one, that looks great. I like the size, front end, fender flares and light rack looks great maybe add 18" or 20" wheels and a rolling truck bed cover option with a nice interior and 18/26 mph with a V-6 and I'll place my order now. :shades:

Been out for awhile and ran across this from BlackHorse,

If this is the the new Ranger sign me up for one, that looks great. I like the size, front end, fender flares and light rack looks great maybe add 18" or 20" wheels and a rolling truck bed cover option with a nice interior and 18/26 mph with a V-6 and I'll place my order now. :shades:

I hope it's available with something more than a 4' microbed.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 4.0 4x4

I use it in my business and for play

It is tough and looks good and looks American

But everyday I wish it was a little bigger, a little updated

and had 4 DOORS!!!

The changes I would do-

Make it a little version of the Tonka concept

Make it flex from basic work trucks to stylin trucks

But-

All available with a 4, V6 and Small V8

Make it slightly bigger