Motortrend on the Ranger....

suv_guy_19

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say keep the Ranger just the way it is, made in USA, but with three changes: Put in a new F-150-style interior. Bring back the flareside box. Offer a diesel option.

Shrink it, keep it super simple, make it get 25 to 30 mpg ( yes it can be done, my mazdas got 28) give it some personality.

I vote for option #2, keep the ranger and make it a compact pickup again. In so doing Ford will offer the only "true" small pickup on the market. Make it fuel efficient, a diesel version, perhaps even a hybrid model. Take some pages from the Toyota play book as well. Make a version that is 2WD but with an off road suspension, i.e. the old PreRunner which sold so well. Most importantly, make it in the USA.

I say keep the Ranger just the way it is, made in USA, but with three changes: Put in a new F-150-style interior. Bring back the flareside box. Offer a diesel option.

I agree, although I never liked the flareside bed. I'd like to see real manual locking hubs and manual transfer cases make a comeback. An extra gear in both the manual and auto transmissions wouldn't hurt either.

Although I miss my '90 Ranger sometimes, the new ones don't appeal to me that much. A diesel might get me to rethink that.

I believe making it more fuel efficient, might be key to allowing it to survive. As well as improving it, and redesigning the interior and exterior. The Tacoma has been able to do it, although some can easily hit $27K which is rediculous, so pricing is important. Maybe if they did a "Escape like" mediocre update but with improved drivetrains, might work. Slap the new 2.5L I-4, and maybe the PIP 3.0L Duratec V6 and that should work.

My initital response would be to rework the Explorer Sport Trac engineering a bit, and offer a regular-cab and super-cab, but otherwise use Explorer mechanicals. However, with the Explorer going unibody very soon, wouldn't make much sense.

Unless they can whip up a miracle redesign in the next year, they're going to need to move it. Their options include an Escape-style redesign (which I could live with, and I'm sure most buyers would be ok with), or the scaled-down F-150 idea. Importing trucks isn't an option, especially with the 25% tax.

Arrrgggg! Just does not make sense to me.

It used to sell well and led it's market but Ford let it dry up. It is not selling well, but not so bad either that they could not spend some money and make it competative again, or again, re-define the market and keep it small(er).

If they have not put any money into it for 15+ years, then is not not a little like the CV. No money in but still decent volume?

Keep it small. Give it some upgrades. Re-define the small pickup market. Price it right.

Pulling out just means that Toyota will gain another 50k units per year. Then the market goes back to looking worth while getting back into again. Bring in a i4 TD and make em all diesels. Then Ford would have the power, mpg, and a starting base for a US diesel market, expecially if they are thinking about bringing a larger TD to market?

Don't put too small of a gaser in there. I think the 3.0 was too small and worked too hard compared to the 4.0? I know my buddy wished he had gotten the larger engine in his. I think the Ranger is one vehicle that if they make the outside appealing and the drive train powerful and efficient enough they do not have to spend a ton on the interior. Its a small truck. I don't see people gauging its interior much compared to the rest.

Peace and Blessings

Arrrgggg! Just does not make sense to me.

It used to sell well and led it's market but Ford let it dry up. It is not selling well, but not so bad either that they could not spend some money and make it competative again, or again, re-define the market and keep it small(er).

If they have not put any money into it for 15+ years, then is not not a little like the CV. No money in but still decent volume?

Keep it small. Give it some upgrades. Re-define the small pickup market. Price it right.

Pulling out just means that Toyota will gain another 50k units per year. Then the market goes back to looking worth while getting back into again. Bring in a i4 TD and make em all diesels. Then Ford would have the power, mpg, and a starting base for a US diesel market, expecially if they are thinking about bringing a larger TD to market?

Don't put too small of a gaser in there. I think the 3.0 was too small and worked too hard compared to the 4.0? I know my buddy wished he had gotten the larger engine in his. I think the Ranger is one vehicle that if they make the outside appealing and the drive train powerful and efficient enough they do not have to spend a ton on the interior. Its a small truck. I don't see people gauging its interior much compared to the rest.

Peace and Blessings

The ranger can olny survive if it is combined with global archtechture, It will only survive in the US if it is produce in N.A. with volumes of 180-200K units.

As seen here.

Think bigger than what was and think of what could be. the Ranger as a Global brand. The A ford product used in civil wars in africa not the ubiquitous toyota or nissan Pickups with heavy machine guns in the bed.

Ford did not 'dry the market up'! When all the other compact pick-ups have lost sales, how can one blame Ford? Toyota Tundra may be up, but not as high as the 80s and 90s.

They were smart not to bring out a newer Ranger, look at how the "new" Colorado and Dakota are bombing. The article in Auto News gives clear reasons why compact trucks have fallen out of favor. When workers can get a F150 for $2000 more, why get a smaller one?

And gas prices do not affect how much cargo space a contractor will need. Instead of getting smaller, they will delay buying a new big truck to save $$$. Gas prices will force a 'casual' truck owner to get a car, but not real work truck buyers.

People have their emotional reasons for wanting to "see" a new styled Ranger to admire, {As in "I wanna see a new Ranger"} but it has to sell to paying customers/fleet/etc.

The days of "MINI-Trucking" are over. "Expressive" vehicle buyers get cars or Cross-overs now, not small pickups w/tiny interiors.

Ford did not 'dry the market up'! When all the other compact pick-ups have lost sales, how can one blame Ford? Toyota Tundra may be up, but not as high as the 80s and 90s.

They were smart not to bring out a newer Ranger, look at how the "new" Colorado and Dakota are bombing. The article in Auto News gives clear reasons why compact trucks have fallen out of favor. When workers can get a F150 for $2000 more, why get a smaller one?

And gas prices do not affect how much cargo space a contractor will need. Instead of getting smaller, they will delay buying a new big truck to save $$$. Gas prices will force a 'casual' truck owner to get a car, but not real work truck buyers.

People have their emotional reasons for wanting to "see" a new styled Ranger to admire, {As in "I wanna see a new Ranger"} but it has to sell to paying customers/fleet/etc.

The days of "MINI-Trucking" are over. "Expressive" vehicle buyers get cars or Cross-overs now, not small pickups w/tiny interiors.

not quite sure I agree...we have a huge ranger worktruck clientel..........and must admit IWANT ONE FOR MY HOME DEPOT TRIPS....damn fence

Well don't you think paying customers might actually want to PAY for a NEW vehicle instead of something that looks exactly like the used one on Autotrader that costs $11,000 less?

I'm not saying that a new Ranger would definitely dramatically increase sales, but until Ford replaces it, we KNOW it's not going to sell any better.

Well don't you think paying customers might actually want to PAY for a NEW vehicle instead of something that looks exactly like the used one on Autotrader that costs $11,000 less?

I'm not saying that a new Ranger would definitely dramatically increase sales, but until Ford replaces it, we KNOW it's not going to sell any better.

how weird is this Nick...used Rangers are fetching close to book in the auctions....by the time they are QC certified etc they aren't much cheaper than new!!!!!

This would be true and I understand how you came to this logical point of view so long as you base it on one factor, that being they keep the Ranger the same, a plain jane small pick up. But, what if they took the opportunity to use the toyota and honda playbook against them and show everyone that Ford knows how to play the attention to detail game too. How? How about this? The new Ranger would incorporate storage panels into the side of the bed, something I believe chevy was working on or may have done. At any rate, storage panels, accessed from the outside that close flush along the side of the truck bed. Admittedly not very deep but just fine for storing small items like tools, rolls of tape, what have you. In the bed itself, take a page from the Ridgeline and incorporate a storage bay underneath the bed. Also use the drop down or swing open tailgate. A tie down system should be standard and every Ranger should be equipped form the factory with some straps for that very purpose, be sure to put Ford logos all over the straps.

The interior should of course be well done and offer features like an overhead storage console that holds your sunglasses, garage remote and pens. A nice touch here would also be a drivers information center that alerts the owner to oil changes, low tire pressure, ambient temp, direction of travel and so on. Of course power outlets for your laptop are a must, at least two in case you also want to charge your phone. The interior ergonomics should be well done, don't use the typical "who cares it's a truck" approach. For the seats, take a page out of the Acura RSX book. I know it's a pickup but make them semi clamshell seats so that they are comfortable as hell. In extended cab models there should be a suicide door on each side and the truck should be equipped with a system that allows you to prop the doors (front and back) in a fixed open position regardless of the angle the truck is parked at. The front passenger seat should be able to fold forward so you can carry stuff on that side if need be. Also the back side of the passenger seat should be made of a flat plastic tray that you can use as a work surface or just to set your cold one on at a campsite. Take a page from Dodge and have some moveable or even detachable speakers for those times you are having a tailgate party. A detachable dome lamp or even an integrated small flashlight that stays on a charge in the center console is a good idea as well. A navigation system should be an option, and as an option to that, a reversing camera. A reversing camera? On a pickup? What if they put a camper shell on there? Makes sense then. Keep it an option. Obviously in the extended cabs there should be a kick ass storage system in the back. I think there should even bee a "seat delete" option that essentially just follows the notion of "I just want an extend cab so I can store things behind the seats."

In the tailgate, incorporate a flip out or slide out tray. Obviously the body design should be changed so that it looks nothing like the previous Ranger. Power train options should include a fuel efficient 4 cylinder and I really like the idea of a 4 cylinder diesel. A hybrid electric wouldn't be a bad idea either. I'll leave it up to you guys about the V6. I still think there should be a sort of "prerunner" package, where in you have an off road suspension but the truck is 2WD to keep the price and insurance down. Of course a 4WD model as well and a standard light duty 2WD version as your mainstay. Use automatic headlamps, satellite radio option, stereo upgrade options, cruise control, power windows and locks and there should be a key fob option to the keyless remote. Put a Roof rack on extended cab models or at least option it. Also, there should be a "skylight" option. What's a skylight? Well, we know we have this overhead console right? What if on either side of that you have a small skylight like sunroof, one over each seat, i.e. the Flex. The gas engine of course should be mutli-fuel E85 capable. A turbo diesel would be great. An "All Outdoors" model would be awesome. This is the pickup for the guys who are just into camping. Skid plates, an interior you can take a hose to and so on.

Don't make a Ranger that tries to take on the Tacoma, make one that takes on Subaru.

Edited by BlackHorse

Don't make a Ranger that tries to take on the Tacoma, make one that takes on Subaru.

Good points. IMHO, keeping the bloat down is critical. So it won't swallow a 4x8 sheet of ply or drywall, tough, rent a trailer, because day-to-day fuel mileage is only going to get more critical. Keep it relatively narrow, but don't worry about wheelbase: again, this is just opinion, but legroom will make people put up with a tight squeeze for 3 in the back if they don't have their knees up by their ears.

A diesel option is important, but keep the pork out of it, so a 4-cyl turbo diesel has a fighting chance. Later, offer a turbo 2.7 (UK) as the mini-SD. Love to see a duallie with the V-6.

It's only opinion, but having a "politically-correct" pick-up may offer future benefits that justify the cost. They could even offer matching trailers for 8 and 12-foot building materials.

It's only opinion, but having a "politically-correct" pick-up may offer future benefits that justify the cost. They could even offer matching trailers for 8 and 12-foot building materials.

Good idea Edstock, I was thinking something along that line but not the matching trailer thing, that's pure genius. I was thinking more like optional accessories at the dealer like matching camper shells, tents that are designed to attach to the bed for camping. Of course roll bars, push bars and grill guards, which has been done before. Winch kits, bed liners (even spray on) and perhaps something like an in bed storage system. This is going to take up bed space but it might also work for someone who is less interested in bed space and more interested in storing gear.

I think it should be kept around, though do believe it should be bigger than what it is now though smaller than a F-150,also would like to see it with 4-doors with a back seat to compete with Dodge Dakota Quad and with GM Colorado. I would also like to see it a bit roomer inside for taller people like myself[6'3"] had a 96 Ranger for a 11 years till i had a engine fire, would also like see a diesel in it too

As a former 1979 Courier and 1987 Madza B2000 CabPlus owner, I think they should do lots of the things previously mentioned here, especially adding a diesel, plus make the extended cab a bit larger. Who wants to ride in those crazy jump seats? I would think the biggest reason to keep the Ranger and add a diesel would be to increase the average corporate mpg for the CAFE regulations. If the CAFE standards are raised, then naturally the automakers are going to have to produce more fuel-efficient vehicles, and small diesels (cars and pickups) would go a long way toward meeting the regs. With all thd diesels being produced in other countries, surely Ford can "tweak" some of those engines to meet the current US emission standards. To be honest, every single vehicle made by Ford (and all the others) should be offered with a diesel (except maybe the Mustang). Then you'd see a dramatic increase in the average corporate mpg ratings.