AN: Buyers Zoom In on Focus

range

Buyers zoom in on the Focus

Automotive News

July 16, 2007

"Even with gasoline prices well above $3 a gallon, the Detroit 3 are having trouble selling small cars.

With one exception, that is. The Ford Focus - on its last legs after eight years on the market - has been on a roll since fuel prices spiked this spring.

Focus sales were up 20 percent in June compared with the same month last year.

Meanwhile, all the other Detroit 3 small cars - the Chevrolet Aveo, Cobalt and HHR; the Pontiac Vibe; and the Dodge Caliber - have sputtered, just as you'd think customers would be climbing all over them.

Ford says the Focus' retail sales increase in June was better than its overall percentage gain."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2000 Focus had detractors, saying too Euro. SO they jury is still out on the '08. Remember 90% of car buyers are not mag reading 'enthusiasts'.

Also, the chromed front end Escape which 'experts' predicted would 'bomb' is doing pretty well.

Reality is buyers are not 'dying' for 400HP RWD BOF cars, nor are they wanting a $30,000 Euro C1 Focus.

Buyers zoom in on the Focus

Automotive News

July 16, 2007

"Even with gasoline prices well above $3 a gallon, the Detroit 3 are having trouble selling small cars.

With one exception, that is. The Ford Focus - on its last legs after eight years on the market - has been on a roll since fuel prices spiked this spring.

Focus sales were up 20 percent in June compared with the same month last year.

Meanwhile, all the other Detroit 3 small cars - the Chevrolet Aveo, Cobalt and HHR; the Pontiac Vibe; and the Dodge Caliber - have sputtered, just as you'd think customers would be climbing all over them.

Ford says the Focus' retail sales increase in June was better than its overall percentage gain."

I agree with you the Focus does have good MPG, which makes it hardy when the gas price rises. What l do find worrying is the big discounts being given to achieve this. Ford Focus, which is now being manufactured in China big time, l also find it worrying for jobs. It is going to build the third generation Mondeo there as well, all the boring bland models like the Mondeo that have to be dumped into car rentals due to nobody wants them retail, with 75% depreciation in 2 years the Mondeo is the second hand buyers dream car, losses will be saved by building the Mondeo there, it’s a shame they can’t make the Mondeo more appealing to retail buyer and cut the bland styling in the first place. Once the Chinese get up to speed with quality will most mass produced bland cars end up being made there, to cut the car rental dumping losses?

Future low cost base?

Its third product, the all-new Ford Focus, has been built in Chongqing since the 3rd quarter of 2005

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_dis...m?release=26304

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I agree with you the Focus does have good MPG, which makes it hardy when the gas price rises. What l do find worrying is the big discounts being given to achieve this. Ford Focus, which is now being manufactured in China big time, l also find it worrying for jobs. It is going to build the third generation Mondeo there as well, all the boring bland models like the Mondeo that have to be dumped into car rentals due to nobody wants them retail, with 75% depreciation in 2 years the Mondeo is the second hand buyers dream car, losses will be saved by building the Mondeo there, it’s a shame they can’t make the Mondeo more appealing to retail buyer and cut the bland styling in the first place. Once the Chinese get up to speed with quality will most mass produced bland cars end up being made there, to cut the car rental dumping losses?

Future low cost base?

Its third product, the all-new Ford Focus, has been built in Chongqing since the 3rd quarter of 2005

the Focus MPG is nothing to write home about. Most Honda's get that without even trying. Why has there not been an attempt to make a hybrid Focus?

the Focus MPG is nothing to write home about. Most Honda's get that without even trying. Why has there not been an attempt to make a hybrid Focus?

Focus MPG is not one of best in Europe more like the worst, Peugeots 207 is Europe’s best selling car at the moment, and its 70 MPG diesel makes the Focus MPG look second rate, but you have to give it a bit of praise because at least it looks good in the States and sales to retail are good.

The Focus had $2,500 in incentives on its hood.

Also maybe the 2008 is making consumers buy the 2007.

These comments on this link do not bode well for the 2008 http://autoshows.ford.com/?p=62#comment-1540

141 comments and only 2 said they liked it (one of the 2 is Ford salesperson)

I'd take anything said or posted on the Internet with a serious grain of salt...talk is cheap..and the Internet just gives fair opportunity for everyone to be a jackass.

Everyone bashed the Escape here and it had its best selling month ever just recently....

Lets see what the Focus does when it comes out and what it looks like in person at normal angles...the Interior is good IMO, but I'm still up in the air at how good it the exterior looks..plus from what I hear, the car looks great with some of the upcoming aftermarket sets for it, if you hate it that much

Focus MPG is not one of best in Europe more like the worst, Peugeots 207 is Europe’s best selling car at the moment, and its 70 MPG diesel makes the Focus MPG look second rate, but you have to give it a bit of praise because at least it looks good in the States and sales to retail are good.

I think you mean the 307, the 207 is also the size of the Fiesta. The 307 is the size of the Focus. The 308(307 successor) will be getting the 70MPG hybrid/diesel enigne, it won't be an option till 2009.

I don't think 27/34 epa mileage is too bad for a versatile small wagon. With the rebates, the Focus is a heck of a deal.

I seriously considered buying a Focus wagon last month, but no one has any in stock anymore, and I don't like the 5 door hatch as well. Of course, the wife wants an relatively gas guzzling SUV, so we sit and do nothing for now.

I think you mean the 307, the 207 is also the size of the Fiesta. The 307 is the size of the Focus. The 308(307 successor) will be getting the 70MPG hybrid/diesel enigne, it won't be an option till 2009.

Sorry JASON l made a mistake with the Peugeot 207 figures it was not 70 MPG it should of been 74.3 MPG. Here is the model below, 308 will be big on MPG like you say. 307 is going to be discontinued l think, l just wish these cars were Fords l would be down the Ford dealers tomorrow and buy one the styling is superb as well. All we have is a boring bland Focus with low MPG.

Scroll down the page as its blank at the top it gives details on the 74.3 MPG Peugeot 207 Diesel

http://motoring.virgin.net/comparison.html?serialno=25277

DUH - those are Chinese models meant to be sold in China, not here. Has nothing to do with Focus sales in North America. I'm pretty sure it's not the same car.

It the same car. but yours is not Chinese made at the moment. But once the Chinese get up to speed with quality in China l will start to worry about Jobs.

Its not on sale yet....and he really has no idea what a disaster is....the escape is also a disaster in his opinion..as is the edge, the fusion, the taurus....and pretty much anything that Ford has ever done....lol

No you dimwit, I said thye 08 Focus is a disaster, I never anything about other Fords so STFU troll.

:slap:

surprising since all you do here is bitch about this and that...trying to see if I ever remembered you saying something postive about a Ford product.

No good having a go at the bloke if a car has no appeal what so ever, he is entitled to his point of view.