Ford Motor Company July 2007 Sales Figures

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder the same thing?

Plenty of people have listed everything that's wrong with it before, here and in the media, and all the cheerleaders have done is say they're wrong or "it's not so bad" or "no one cares about that", or say it would cost "a fortune" to be truly competitive and ambitious like Honda, Mazda, etc. In essence a bunch of neverending excuses.

So yeah, whatever, the car is flawless and it's all a big conspiracy against Ford. :finger:

Edited by pcsario

Plenty of people have listed everything that's wrong with it before, here and in the media, and all the cheerleaders have done is say they're wrong or "it's not so bad" or "no one cares about that", or some "niche" BS that works for everyone else, or say it would cost "a fortune" to be truly competitive, etc. In essence a bunch of neverending excuses.

So yeah, whatever, the car is flawless and it's all a big conspiracy against Ford. :finger:

Actually, most of the media complaints were centered around the two things I mentioned: the horrible radio/HVAC controls and the powertrains. I haven't heard much knocking the interior materials, styling, braking, or handling. What else is there?

Plenty of people have listed everything that's wrong with it before, here and in the media, and all the cheerleaders have done is say they're wrong or "it's not so bad" or "no one cares about that", or say it would cost "a fortune" to be truly competitive, etc. In essence a bunch of neverending excuses and praise for mediocrity. If it was a Hyundai it would get panned here.

I've read pretty much every review of the Fusion that there is, and the most serious flaw they could find was a lack of manual shift mode on the 6-speed automatic, and that the V6 has less power in comparison with other cars in the class. From a purely objective standpoint, that's it.

I do think there is a MUCH bigger and remarkably simple flaw the Fusion has. The Fusion is an all-new product for North America. Literally, 2 years ago, it did not exist. I'm still willing to bet most midsized sedan customers have STILL never HEARD of the Fusion. Ford advertised the car pretty well, and has happily satisfied sales requirements so far. Advertising slowed in June and July on top of an overall decline in car sales, so it really shouldn't be a surprise sales slowed.

For long-term sales growth, Ford needs to keep quality high, and the vehicle updated year over year. They've been doing this very well.

This is an immutable FACT in the automotive industry, and an ALL-NEW model needs at least a few years to firmly establish itself before sales REALLY start to take off. Ford could have LITERALLY taken an E-Class Mercedes, sold it for $20,000, and buyers wouldn't have bought any more than the Fusion. If you disagree, please amuse me, and find examples of an ALL-NEW nameplate selling like gangbusters right after launch.

Plenty of people have listed everything that's wrong with it before, here and in the media, and all the cheerleaders have done is say they're wrong or "it's not so bad" or "no one cares about that", or say it would cost "a fortune" to be truly competitive and ambitious like Honda, Mazda, etc. In essence a bunch of neverending excuses.

Thats the problem...your perception is that the car is fatally flawed and can't be saved...when the truth is its not that bad, but at the same time it could use improvement, but the basics are there and its competitive as it stands now. I don't think anyone thinks its flawless...because there are no "flawless" cars out then when you cater to a market with so many different tastes out there.

As for it being good enough and all that buuubbuu you spout, its far better then the outgoing Taurus and Contour it replaced.

If you disagree, please amuse me, and find examples of an ALL-NEW nameplate selling like gangbusters right after launch.

The only examples I can think of were decades ago in vehicles like the Mustang and Camaro....or even further back with things like the Model T and Model A.

Competition is too stiff nowadays for something similar to occur. Additionally, the past instances of overnight successes were created when a vehicle was either creating an entirely new market segment or entering a segment with very few competitors.

That said, the Fusion could have been and will do better.

The only examples I can think of were decades ago in vehicles like the Mustang and Camaro....or even further back with things like the Model T and Model A.

Competition is too stiff nowadays for something similar to occur. Additionally, the past instances of overnight successes were created when a vehicle was either creating an entirely new market segment or entering a segment with very few competitors.

That said, the Fusion could have been and will do better.

You're 100% right on target. I'm not denying the Fusion could be better, but I'm just saying there's MUCH stronger forces at play here than bullshit nitpicking over the style of freaking radio. The ONLY way the Fusion is going to pass the Camry in sales is to build the car for 15 years with bulletproof quality, yearly updates, and staying in style, which they happily have done so far.

Actually, most of the media complaints were centered around the two things I mentioned: the horrible radio/HVAC controls and the powertrains. I haven't heard much knocking the interior materials, styling, braking, or handling. What else is there?

Brian Chee’s Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion’s Quality:

If you’re a Ford fan, quality and the Fusion is where it hurts. A lot. Because it flat out should be better, tighter and more impressive all the way around. Like a boxer who dances and jabs for 14 rounds, you gotta watch out for that right hander in the 15th. If you miss it, you’re sure to have empty pockets and one heck of a headache in the morning.

Count Ford out on this one.

Gaps vary too much outside the car, interior trim looks hastily assembled, and materials – from fuzzy mouse fur headliner to “leather” seat surfaces – fail to measure up to the competition. There’s the piano black inserts that look, ahem, inexpensive, and digital readouts that fade in the sun.

Thom Blackett’s Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion’s Quality:

Ford quality – one of life’s little mysteries. Within a two-week span, we had this Fusion and a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer in the shop. Oddly enough, the $23,000 Fusion exhibited material and build quality leagues ahead of the $43,000 SUV. Unlike the Explorer’s mish-mash of cheap plastics, the Fusion featured mostly soft-touch panels, padding on the armrests and window sills, a good attempt at competent construction, and intuitive ergonomics. The piano black trim on the instrument panel and dash looked cheap and hinted at its desire to easily pop off, the lower plastics, such as those on the console, left a little to be desired, and the leather felt like it came from a dehydrated Bessy. Some of the gaps were also noticeably off. Compared to past Fords, the Fusion represents a marked improvement, but when contrasted against current competitors like the Honda Accord, this sedan still falls short.

Christian Wardlaw’s Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion’s Quality:

Judged by appearance, the Fusion’s interior appears to be constructed of quality materials, but get up close and the prominent leather pattern on the dashboard, seats, door panels, and steering wheel offend rather quickly and give the car a low-rent ambiance. I also thought that some of the Fusion’s controls lacked the heft and dampened operation associated with a quality piece of work, too.

Ford also has work to do on improving assembly. The Fusion’s interior is decently screwed together – no rattles or squeaks in our test car. In fact, the only glaring faults were the fits of the side window demister vents at the upper outboard areas of the dash and rather loose A-pillar covers. But on the outside, the Fusion’s front fascia, headlights, doors, and trunk lid featured problems with flushness of fit and consistent panel gaps. Inside and out, the Fusion’s shut lines are wider than competitors, including those from Chrysler and GM. I almost lost my pen in the gap between the trunk lid and the right rear quarter panel.

Ron Perry’s Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion’s Quality:

Quality is still where Ford falls behind in this competitive market. On our test car, poor panel fitment was evident inside and out. For starters, the trunk lid was skewed to the left almost an eighth of an inch, creating a large gap on one side and an uneven seam on the other. At the seam where the plastic bumper meets sheet metal on the side of the car, the sheet metal overhangs the plastic by over an eighth of an inch on the passenger side. On the driver’s side, the seam is almost spot on.

For the most part, the interior seemed to be well built but closer examination revealed horrible fitment on the lid covering the storage box atop the dash. It is things like this that are unacceptable and project a feeling of cheapness that Ford can’t afford to have. Simple fine-tuning makes all the difference and Ford needs to pay more attention to the details.

Brian Chee’s Advice about the 2006 Ford Fusion:

Go ahead – take a ride, and decide. The Fusion is certainly a player in the sedan game, a nicely styled car that offers a decent – though whiny and slow starting – four-cylinder powertrain, a quiet and roomy cabin, and a competitive price. Where the Accord jars and pitches with its feel-the-road ride, and the Camry soothes and coddles with a ride that borders on Novocain, the Fusion finds a happy middle ground. Sadly, the transmission struggles to deliver the four-cylinder’s power consistently, and quality problems inside and outside the car may relegate the Fusion to slightly above middle of the pack when it comes to wooing customers. Initial sales results look promising, though fleet sales along with fit-and-finish issues could well catch up to the Fusion and hurt it. The bottom line is this: When you sit in a sedan and think about what you could have bought, do you think you’d be happy that you bought a Fusion?

Thom Blackett’s Advice About the 2006 Ford Fusion:

Ford’s new sedan is pleasant to look at, comfortable to ride in, and easy to drive. And it does it all for a reasonable price while returning respectable fuel economy. However, as long as a comparable Honda Accord EX sells for the same price as our as-tested SEL, I can’t see the masses flocking to put one in their driveways.

Christian Wardlaw’s Advice about the 2006 Ford Fusion:

At less than $23,000, and with dealers already discounting, the 2006 Ford Fusion’s strong points are value, comfort, and style. You get plenty of features for the money, decent gas mileage with the four-cylinder engine, a roomy interior, and stylish sheetmetal. These are exactly the characteristics that shoppers look for when choosing a middle-of-the-road midsize sedan. What’s lacking here is a strong track record for reliability. A healthy warranty – at least one that matches the coverage offered on the Mazda 6 if not the Hyundai Sonata – would provide additional peace-of-mind and drive buyers to Ford showrooms, because the Fusion is a fundamentally sound piece of work. But without cash on the hood, I would find it difficult to recommend one over competitors with proven reputations for durability. Good thing Ford dealers are dealing on the impressive new 2006 Fusion.

Ron Perry’s Advice about the 2006 Ford Fusion:

If you are a vanilla-type person, the 2006 Ford Fusion might just be the car for you. If you crave a little flavor and excitement in your life, keep shopping.

Brian Chee's Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion's Quality:

If you're a Ford fan, quality and the Fusion is where it hurts. A lot. Because it flat out should be better, tighter and more impressive all the way around. Like a boxer who dances and jabs for 14 rounds, you gotta watch out for that right hander in the 15th. If you miss it, you're sure to have empty pockets and one heck of a headache in the morning.

Count Ford out on this one.

Gaps vary too much outside the car, interior trim looks hastily assembled, and materials – from fuzzy mouse fur headliner to "leather" seat surfaces – fail to measure up to the competition. There's the piano black inserts that look, ahem, inexpensive, and digital readouts that fade in the sun.

Thom Blackett's Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion's Quality:

Ford quality – one of life's little mysteries. Within a two-week span, we had this Fusion and a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer in the shop. Oddly enough, the $23,000 Fusion exhibited material and build quality leagues ahead of the $43,000 SUV. Unlike the Explorer's mish-mash of cheap plastics, the Fusion featured mostly soft-touch panels, padding on the armrests and window sills, a good attempt at competent construction, and intuitive ergonomics. The piano black trim on the instrument panel and dash looked cheap and hinted at its desire to easily pop off, the lower plastics, such as those on the console, left a little to be desired, and the leather felt like it came from a dehydrated Bessy. Some of the gaps were also noticeably off. Compared to past Fords, the Fusion represents a marked improvement, but when contrasted against current competitors like the Honda Accord, this sedan still falls short.

Christian Wardlaw's Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion's Quality:

Judged by appearance, the Fusion's interior appears to be constructed of quality materials, but get up close and the prominent leather pattern on the dashboard, seats, door panels, and steering wheel offend rather quickly and give the car a low-rent ambiance. I also thought that some of the Fusion's controls lacked the heft and dampened operation associated with a quality piece of work, too.

Ford also has work to do on improving assembly. The Fusion's interior is decently screwed together – no rattles or squeaks in our test car. In fact, the only glaring faults were the fits of the side window demister vents at the upper outboard areas of the dash and rather loose A-pillar covers. But on the outside, the Fusion's front fascia, headlights, doors, and trunk lid featured problems with flushness of fit and consistent panel gaps. Inside and out, the Fusion's shut lines are wider than competitors, including those from Chrysler and GM. I almost lost my pen in the gap between the trunk lid and the right rear quarter panel.

Ron Perry's Opinion of the 2006 Ford Fusion's Quality:

Quality is still where Ford falls behind in this competitive market. On our test car, poor panel fitment was evident inside and out. For starters, the trunk lid was skewed to the left almost an eighth of an inch, creating a large gap on one side and an uneven seam on the other. At the seam where the plastic bumper meets sheet metal on the side of the car, the sheet metal overhangs the plastic by over an eighth of an inch on the passenger side. On the driver's side, the seam is almost spot on.

For the most part, the interior seemed to be well built but closer examination revealed horrible fitment on the lid covering the storage box atop the dash. It is things like this that are unacceptable and project a feeling of cheapness that Ford can't afford to have. Simple fine-tuning makes all the difference and Ford needs to pay more attention to the details.

Brian Chee's Advice about the 2006 Ford Fusion:

Go ahead – take a ride, and decide. The Fusion is certainly a player in the sedan game, a nicely styled car that offers a decent – though whiny and slow starting – four-cylinder powertrain, a quiet and roomy cabin, and a competitive price. Where the Accord jars and pitches with its feel-the-road ride, and the Camry soothes and coddles with a ride that borders on Novocain, the Fusion finds a happy middle ground. Sadly, the transmission struggles to deliver the four-cylinder's power consistently, and quality problems inside and outside the car may relegate the Fusion to slightly above middle of the pack when it comes to wooing customers. Initial sales results look promising, though fleet sales along with fit-and-finish issues could well catch up to the Fusion and hurt it. The bottom line is this: When you sit in a sedan and think about what you could have bought, do you think you'd be happy that you bought a Fusion?

Thom Blackett's Advice About the 2006 Ford Fusion:

Ford's new sedan is pleasant to look at, comfortable to ride in, and easy to drive. And it does it all for a reasonable price while returning respectable fuel economy. However, as long as a comparable Honda Accord EX sells for the same price as our as-tested SEL, I can't see the masses flocking to put one in their driveways.

Christian Wardlaw's Advice about the 2006 Ford Fusion:

At less than $23,000, and with dealers already discounting, the 2006 Ford Fusion's strong points are value, comfort, and style. You get plenty of features for the money, decent gas mileage with the four-cylinder engine, a roomy interior, and stylish sheetmetal. These are exactly the characteristics that shoppers look for when choosing a middle-of-the-road midsize sedan. What's lacking here is a strong track record for reliability. A healthy warranty – at least one that matches the coverage offered on the Mazda 6 if not the Hyundai Sonata – would provide additional peace-of-mind and drive buyers to Ford showrooms, because the Fusion is a fundamentally sound piece of work. But without cash on the hood, I would find it difficult to recommend one over competitors with proven reputations for durability. Good thing Ford dealers are dealing on the impressive new 2006 Fusion.

Ron Perry's Advice about the 2006 Ford Fusion:

If you are a vanilla-type person, the 2006 Ford Fusion might just be the car for you. If you crave a little flavor and excitement in your life, keep shopping.

Wow. All of those complaints about "quality" yet the Fusion tops the segment's main competition in JD Powers' initial quality and APEAL studies. :huh:

Sale down in Europe as well

post-25314-1186080174_thumb.jpg

post-25314-1186080197_thumb.jpg

PRESS RELEASE July 17, 2007 European market struggles in first half of year • Half year figures show market is down by 0.9 per cent• Peugeot 207 remains Europe’s top seller• Volkswagen still top of the brand chartJATO Dynamics, the world’s leading provider of automotive data and intelligence today reports that the European market for new vehicles has posted a 0.9 per cent drop in the first half of 2007 compared to the same period in 2006. With 79,324 fewer units sold so far in 2007, the total volume of vehicles sold in the period to the end of June totals 8,355,705 units, while June itself witnessed 1.3 per cent drop to 1,497,701units.Brand PerformanceVolkswagen continues its European sales domination and continues as the top-selling car brand, ahead of the other top five brands during June Opel/Vauxhall (up 2.5%), Renault, Ford and Peugeot.Year to date, the picture is much the same with Volkswagen again heading the chart, ahead of Opel/Vauxhall, Ford, Renault and Peugeot. Outside the top five brands, manufacturers showing considerable performance improvement over the same half year period in 2006 include Dacia (up 55.2%), Daihatsu (up 52.5%), Honda (up 15.9%), MINI (up 14.0%), Jeep (up 9.1%), Land Rover (up 8.6%), Volvo (up 7.9%), Chevrolet (up 7.5%), Skoda (up 6.9%), Fiat (up 6.8%), Audi (up 5.2%) and Toyota (up 5.0%). “Whilst the total figures for 2007 reveal a challenging picture for manufacturers in the Europe markets, it’s clear to see from the performances of individual brands that there are still opportunities for growth. As JATO has previously reported it is new product launches that drive the growth of many brands,” says Nasir Shah, International Sales and Marketing Director for JATO. Top 10 performing Brands – June 2007 Top Models

1. The still fresh Peugeot 207 has dominated the half year European sales charts with 237,722 units sold,

2. Ford Focus (229,249 units),

3. Fiat Punto (222,432 units),

4. Opel/Vauxhall Corsa (219,311 units - up 48.9%),

5. Opel/Vauxhall Astra (215,867 units),

6. Volkswagen Golf (215,023 units),

7. Renault Clio (213,272 units),

8. Ford Fiesta (198,516 units - up 1.0%),

9. Volkswagen Passat (162,793 units)

10. BMW 3-Series (158,799 units - up 4.3%).

The 207 topped the chart in June, closely followed by Astra, Golf (up 4.3%), Corsa (up 41.8%), Focus, Clio, Punto (up 2.5%), Fiesta, Polo (up 14.1%) and Passat. Top 10 performing Models – June 2007 “The European market is extremely complex,” says Nasir Shah. “Various economic and legislative forces in individual markets have helped to shape the figures for the first half of 2007 and we continue to see wide variances in the fortunes of particular countries. Germany and Italy are two of the major European markets for new cars in Europe, and whilst the German market has been depressed by changes to the taxation system, Italy has benefited from recently introduced scrapping incentives. For reasons such as these, it’s dangerous to generalise about the state of the market.”Shah remains positive: “Despite the challenges, JATO is still confident that the industry will judge 2007 a successful year. The growth in central and Eastern Europe is phenomenal, not to mention the other emerging global markets. All things considered, this is an exciting time for motor manufacturers and the opportunities for growth are extensive.”

Ford are No 3 in Europe sales down 0.1% for the first 6 months.

Fiat are biggest improvement this year and are this years biggest sales success in Europe sales up 6.8%

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I suppose plenty of people translates to 'What the voices in PC's head said'.

Sorry, I fail to see what's so horrible with the car. It handles well, stops well, intial quality is above established leaders (in certain cases) and the build quality is there. Please point out what is so horrible about the car, without you muddying the waters (while not citing information and skirting around the issue) with your useles rhetoric.

And where did all of those quotes come from? Edmunds?

Edited by Michael Reynolds

I've read pretty much every review of the Fusion that there is, and the most serious flaw they could find was a lack of manual shift mode on the 6-speed automatic, and that the V6 has less power in comparison with other cars in the class. From a purely objective standpoint, that's it.

I do think there is a MUCH bigger and remarkably simple flaw the Fusion has. The Fusion is an all-new product for North America. Literally, 2 years ago, it did not exist. I'm still willing to bet most midsized sedan customers have STILL never HEARD of the Fusion. Ford advertised the car pretty well, and has happily satisfied sales requirements so far. Advertising slowed in June and July on top of an overall decline in car sales, so it really shouldn't be a surprise sales slowed.

For long-term sales growth, Ford needs to keep quality high, and the vehicle updated year over year. They've been doing this very well.

This is an immutable FACT in the automotive industry, and an ALL-NEW model needs at least a few years to firmly establish itself before sales REALLY start to take off. Ford could have LITERALLY taken an E-Class Mercedes, sold it for $20,000, and buyers wouldn't have bought any more than the Fusion. If you disagree, please amuse me, and find examples of an ALL-NEW nameplate selling like gangbusters right after launch.

The biggest problem Ford had in July was lack of customers in Ford Showrooms. It's hard to sell lots of Fusions when no one is visiting dealer. That and fleet sales must have been nonexistent on this vehicle. I have been disappointed with Fusion sales, but when Ford sells less than 200,000 vehicles in month, you know individual nameplate sales are not going to be good. If Ford can keep up the quality, and offer new features and change in timely fashion, the Fusion should hang in there nicely. I can't believe Ford will abandon this vehicle without big fight. If they do, it will spell end of Ford as we know it. I would imagine the Hybrid Fusion should show Ford is serious about Fusion and Sync won't hurt either.

The biggest problem Ford had in July was lack of customers in Ford Showrooms. It's hard to sell lots of Fusions when no one is visiting dealer. That and fleet sales must have been nonexistent on this vehicle. I have been disappointed with Fusion sales, but when Ford sells less than 200,000 vehicles in month, you know individual nameplate sales are not going to be good. If Ford can keep up the quality, and offer new features and change in timely fashion, the Fusion should hang in there nicely. I can't believe Ford will abandon this vehicle without big fight. If they do, it will spell end of Ford as we know it. I would imagine the Hybrid Fusion should show Ford is serious about Fusion and Sync won't hurt either.

Is that the only argument you have? You, and others on this board are the only one bringing up it's assembly point, not me. I'm arguing why on it's a failure on features, styling, and refinement. Stop jumping to conclusions.

What features is the Fusion missing?

What's wrong with the Fusion's styling iyo? Too bold? Not a vanilla pos?

What features is the Fusion missing?

What's wrong with the Fusion's styling iyo? Too bold? Not a vanilla pos?

How about everything that made the 427, THE 427.

I LOVED the Fusion, WHEN it was the 427, not this warmed-over 7-11 taquito terd that we got...

How about everything that made the 427, THE 427.

I LOVED the Fusion, WHEN it was the 427, not this warmed-over 7-11 taquito terd that we got...

Ford-427-Concept-Side.jpg

:slap: What's wrong with you boy!!!!

Sorry but I have to go with this one.

0502_ford_fusion_3.jpg

But prefer this one to both of those.

cov-06sema36s.jpg

This argument is over, and I have declared myself not only the winner, but also the supreme ruler of the known universe. :play:

Edited by BlackHorse

Just a small point on the sales of the Taurus. You cannot sell what you do not have. Our local dealership has not gotten one yet, and only has 1 500 on the lot.

AWD fullsize cars sell great here. If you judged fullsize sales, based on Payson, the 500 must have outsold the Camry (just using it for sales numbers, not size). They are everywhere here. Thus, our dealership would be able to easily sell every Taurus they could get.

If Ford is only producing to old 500 numbers, then that is all the sales that they will get.

That said, I have seen 1 Taurus commercial in the last 2 months, and no Fusion ads. Pathetic.

Ford-427-Concept-Side.jpg

:slap: What's wrong with you boy!!!!

Sorry but I have to go with this one.

0502_ford_fusion_3.jpg

But prefer this one to both of those.

cov-06sema36s.jpg

This argument is over, and I have declared myself not only the winner, but also the supreme ruler of the known universe. :play:

How about this 2 door with slicks!

normal_svt_f-bomb.jpg

Or this euro style with HID-LED lighting!

Ford_Fusion_2_Coupe.jpg

Not really what's missing, but what is optional. ABS optional? Are you kidding me? There is NO reason ABS is not standard on all Ford products. None.

Styling? To me it's ugly, but styling is subjective. Everybody is going to have their own opinion.

The I4 is rough and has a lack or refinement. Driving in my step-mom's Fusion, it was noisy and it never did seem to have enough power. The transmission was always searching for the right gear, but could never find it. While the leather seats were nice to look at, they were uncomfortable as hell. The IP was horrendous, the back seat has a lack of headroom, and the ride was spongy.

There are a lack of features that are available on competitors models, and we all know this list well. No V6 manual, lack of V6 power, no "sporty" model.

This may be a first good try, but Ford needs to go back to the drawing board if they are going to win import drivers hearts.

If I'm not mistaken ABS is standard for 08.

The V6 has plenty of power. With the AC running non stop and Florida heat hovering around 90 everyday it moves when it needs to, the only thing that sucks is step in. 0-60 in 7.2 is nothing to frown about.

The V6 has plenty of power. With the AC running non stop and Florida heat hovering around 90 everyday it moves when it needs to, the only thing that sucks is step in. 0-60 in 7.2 is nothing to frown about.

Yes it is when some competing models are ripping sub 6 second 0-60 and the remaining are sub 7.