How many sales are we loosing because of no bench front seat

4d4evr-1

How many people refuse to buy Taurus because of bucket seats. My brother has had Taurus, Sable or Grand Marquis since '88. He is now looking at Buick Lucerne to get bench seat. How many others?

4d4evr :banghead:

Certainly not me. I look forward to going to buckets from my current bench. I never liked nor do I often carry a third person up front now. I welcome the lack of that opportunity in the Taurus.

The bench seats in my 2004 Crown Vic are far more comfortable than the bucket seats in the 2006 Cadillac DTS I rented last year in California. I can drive my Crown Vic all day and have no pain, while my back and legs ached after driving the DTS for just an hour.

I've had Grand Marquis with the bench seat, and my current one has the bucket seats. I much prefer the bench

I much prefer the bench seat - I figure at age 41 I have another 40 years of driving to go - hate to think I'll be driving a 2010 Grand Marquis in 2055 because no one will build me what I like.

Yet another reason to stop buying new cars - most at best offer a choice of two boring interior colors, and crappy bucket seats that waste space.

Yet another reason to stop buying new cars - most at best offer a choice of two boring interior colors, and crappy bucket seats that waste space.

Yeah, because demand was so high in 1981 for red crushed velour bench seats that they should still be offering them today.

Automakers only get rid of options because people don't want them. People don't want bench seats.

Yeah, because demand was so high in 1981 for red crushed velour bench seats that they should still be offering them today.

Automakers only get rid of options because people don't want them. People don't want bench seats.

True - but there is a point about colors in the car.

Both cars we had in the late 80s had blue interiors. Not beige or gray -- blue. It was nice.

I would like to see a return of blue for interiors. Perhaps red, but not so likely.

True - but there is a point about colors in the car.

Both cars we had in the late 80s had blue interiors. Not beige or gray -- blue. It was nice.

I would like to see a return of blue for interiors. Perhaps red, but not so likely.

How many people really opted for a blue interior though? If it was a low take option, I can see why automakers got rid of it.

Tall people love the bench seat. In my current 2001 Taurus, I had to get the bench, to feel comfortable. When test driving the 500, my right leg was mashed against the console.

The cup holder in the drivers door was a leg killer as well.

I don't think any Lamborghinis offer a bench seat, but plenty of NBA players seem to fit in them just fine. The only reason you think you require a bench seat is because there are a lot of poorly designed bucket seats/center consoles out there.

I always said there isn't any reason that Ford could not offer your choice of a bench/column shift and the current bucket/console shift on the new Taurus and Sable models. I am not sure what it would take to ensure the middle front passenger has a 3 point belt though. I guess the question would be is if there is enough demand to warrant the engineering expense of a 6 passenger option.

I doubt Ford will go back to a two row 6 person ala bench ever in a car. Just not needed. If people need more than seating for 5, they go for the X or the upcoming Flex.

Besides, I don't think this Volvo platform was ever designed to do 3 up front. From a safety perspective, it's tougher to get by with.

I won't be buying anything with bench seats anymore...

Tall people love the bench seat. In my current 2001 Taurus, I had to get the bench, to feel comfortable. When test driving the 500, my right leg was mashed against the console.

The cup holder in the drivers door was a leg killer as well.

Well I am well over 6' and found the Taurus & Freestyle both much more comfortable than most of the competitors. And I've never sat on a bench seat that I would describe as comfortable -- buckets that I can fully adjust are far better, particularly when combined with adjustable steering wheels and pedals.

The bench seats in my 2004 Crown Vic are far more comfortable than the bucket seats in the 2006 Cadillac DTS I rented last year in California. I can drive my Crown Vic all day and have no pain, while my back and legs ached after driving the DTS for just an hour.

that has nothing to do with bench vs bucket.

that has nothing to do with bench vs bucket.

All I know is that, for me, no car has seats as comfortable as the Panthers. I even rented a Cadillac DTS for 4 days on a trip to Southern California and found the bucket seats to be torture, even though I loved everything else about the car.