The Ranger is dead by 2009

Roadrunner

I hope those who think that Ford should abandon the mid-size or compact truck market are not the same people who want Ford to release cars like the Fiesta and Ka here.

The same reasoning applies for why you sell small trucks: younger people with less money buy them and if they are satisfied with that purchase, they are more likely to buy a larger vehicle later.

Around where I am, I see a lot of young men driving Frontiers and Tacomas. Once they do that, I don't see why they would rule out buying a Titan or a Tundra for their next truck.

Edited by johnnyb82

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still a market for a compact pickup, and with rising fuel prices, it may increase. I see a lot of Rangers used by businesses, local cable company uses them, exterminators use them, utilities have some (meter readers and such). Also, I know several farmers who use them as utility trucks around the farm. The problem the Ranger has was pretty much summed up by a friend of mine who uses a compact pickup as his service vehicle. He gets a new one every 3 or so years (they get many miles on them and the bed gets beat up pretty well) and when his most recent purchase was a Colorado I asked why? Answer was - I got tired of looking at the same truck inside and out for the last 9 or 10 years.

Even though the Ranger was lower cost and better fuel economy (std cab, long bed, 4 cyl, stick) many people get tired of the same old same old.

Com-on you guys!

If Ford abandons the compact pick-up market, it'll be the smartest thing any manfacturer could do. No one buys these trucks, and if they do, Ford doesn't want them as customers anyhow. They're just a bunch of losesrs who should be buying F-150s. This will also free up more money SUV/CUV' development.

If Ford decides to finally update the Ranger and stay in the market, it'll be the greatest move by any manufacturer. Becoming a class leader in a market set to grow once more due to economic pressures as a result of fuel prices. Winning market share in class as well as creating future demand for the F-150/Superduty.

Ford is perfect. Ford can do no wrong. Ford is the best run business in the world!............

PS. Why not a small pickup based on the Flex? Any photoshopers out there?

Edited by Hemiman

If Ranger is no longer a main player, maybe using an import with lower start up costs is far better.

It is expected that T6 and its derivatives will be manufactured in four locations around the globe

building up to nearly 400,000 units per year. This is the perfect opportunity to import the T6 and

avoid costly platform redevelopment and duplicaion - one of Mulally's pet peeves.

Edited by jpd80

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it points to something in another article I posted today about new automotive laws going into effect on Saturday:

All passenger vehicles sold after Sept 1, 2009 will require side airbags. Side airbags, for some reason, can't be added to the current Ranger. So there's your definitive "Best if Sold by" date.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it points to something in another article I posted today about new automotive laws going into effect on Saturday:

All passenger vehicles sold after Sept 1, 2009 will require side airbags. Side airbags, for some reason, can't be added to the current Ranger. So there's your definitive "Best if Sold by" date.

do the Yodas, nissans etc have the capacity?

There's different methods of side airbags placement. They can either come out of the "B" Pillar, or the side door panel, or from the actual seat itself on the side bolsters. If this is Fords excuse, I find it to be a very poor one at that. Just change the seats, and add the proper Airbag Triggers, it's not rocket science.

There's different methods of side airbags placement. They can either come out of the "B" Pillar, or the side door panel, or from the actual seat itself on the side bolsters. If this is Fords excuse, I find it to be a very poor one at that. Just change the seats, and add the proper Airbag Triggers, it's not rocket science.

There's more to it than that. You need the proper spacing for the airbag to deploy as well, which is likely the area the Ranger falls flat. It would require a complete redesign to get them to work. Now, the Ranger IS being redesigned as we all know now, but I was just pointing out the date for the side airbags to show that it won't be possible to keep the old Ranger in production all the way up until the replacement comes out.

As far as I know about the Frontier and Tacoma, Deanh, they can either be modified for them to work, or they are expecting a redesign by 2009.

If Ranger is no longer a main player, maybe using an import with lower start up costs is far better.

It is expected that T6 and its derivatives will be manufactured in four locations around the globe

building up to nearly 400,000 units per year. This is the perfect opportunity to import the T6 and

avoid costly platform redevelopment and duplicaion - one of Mulally's pet peeves.

That is possible. Very secretive that information is.

Great, mandatory side air bags. Whoopie stinkin ass do. Another gadget that will drive the price of cars up some more. As if they weren't too god damned expensive already.

How many cars are there now that DON'T have them anyway? The only ones that don't at least offer them are ancient holdouts from last decade.

How many cars are there now that DON'T have them anyway? The only ones that don't at least offer them are ancient holdouts from last decade.

I sure haven't seen my insurance costs drop due to all these over the years mandated safety crap....hell....we can now get asfixiated by multiple airbags........have an accident die of suffocation

I sure haven't seen my insurance costs drop due to all these over the years mandated safety crap....hell....we can now get asfixiated by multiple airbags........have an accident die of suffocation

I'm not asking whether the justification to make them mandatory is right, but going by the side impact tests on my Mazda6 WITHOUT them, I'm glad they are there!!! :eek5:

Edited by NickF1011

• 1 month later...

Sensors set off only the airbags required for protection. Everything does NOT go off at once. If they did, I'm thinking the windows would blow out! :shades:

The only question now is....what will replace it?

And only if they can't figure out how to make it meet the impact requirements. Assuming of course that the UAW and it's members work out a lucritive deal with the FoMoCo. I don't see how in either case, but it is all possible. :drop:

Yeah. Beating customers back for about 10 months and then

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww--KABOOM!!!!!

These retromobiles need a lot of props to keep interest going.

-- that said --

I think any compact pickup would have to be marketed to youths as a lifestyle accessory. I consider them to be, for the most part, quite impractical.

SSR anyone?

Great, mandatory side air bags. Whoopie stinkin ass do. Another gadget that will drive the price of cars up some more. As if they weren't too god damned expensive already.

"Gadget" adding started to go to hell when the companies began putting bumpers on the cars 100 years ago.. :hysterical: