Would any of you all ever consider a Fusion wagon?

joihan777

I have a 05 Sienna that I won't be needing in a couple of years. So my wife and I are already contemplating a smaller replacement that can handle 5 passengers as one alternative. We like the tall cargo space of the van but I definitely want something waaaaaay more fun to drive and my wife wants something easier to park. We're hoping the next Fusion will increase safety-wise and come with the D3.5.

Would any of you all ever consider a Fusion wagon? Yes or No, why or why not?

Or, if the Taurus X moves to be an Explorer, would you want a Taurus wagon?

PS-Although I think the Edge is nice, we'd prefer something lower to the ground.

Edited by joihan777

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would consider a Fusion wagon if one were available in a higher performance version a la Volvo V70 R. And I am not talking 300hp+ with a 7 speed auto sport shift either. The following would work just fine . . .

A 260hp+ (Regular Fuel)

AWD

6-speed auto

Sport appearance package

I am in the minority in even liking/wanting a high(er) performace wagon, but am planning for my next daily driver to be a wagon. At this point either a Volvo V70 R (most likely), or perhaps a G8 Wagon that may be coming to market. I also like the Mazda 6 wagon, but that too (along with the Volvo R) is gone so a used one would be in order.

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

While I would love the added versatility of a wagon...I think the recent decision by Chrysler LLC to drop the slow selling Magnum may effect the fate of a Fusion wagon. Yes....apples to oranges comparison...but that data will be looked at before Ford enters into the market with another wagon, especially when CUVs are all the rage right now.

An interesting compromise would be a hatch back sedan version of the Fusion so that the look is similar but the added functionality of a hatch could be had. I know Mazda had a 626 hatch version prior to its replacement with the Mazda6 and the 6 itself is a evolution of the 626 it replaced. How much additional structural changes would be needed to make the hatch a reality? I know that when you remove the rear seat "bulk head", you will lose alot of chassis rigidity...what would it take to get that back so that a Fusion hatch doesn't look like it is doing the macarena down the highway?

i'd consider a fusion wagon, as was said, it would have to be a bit sporty. i like our fusion, and it's plenty roomy for a midsize sedan. but for those times when the kids are in the car and we need to carry bulkier items, we have to use the freestyle. if i could replace the freestyle with a sportier fusion wagon, i would.

it would have to have some usable space back there, though. not just a hatch. the magnum is really just a charger with a slightly lengthened roofline. you can really fit about as much in a charger trunk (enormous!) as you can a magnum hatch.

Wagons do not sell. Sports wagons do not sell. You can cite the Subaru example, but then you have to consider if anyone would be willing to pay Subaru prices and the poor mpg for a Fusion wagon.

I have a 05 Sienna that I won't be needing in a couple of years. So my wife and I are already contemplating a smaller replacement that can handle 5 passengers as one alternative. We like the tall cargo space of the van but I definitely want something waaaaaay more fun to drive and my wife wants something easier to park. We're hoping the next Fusion will increase safety-wise and come with the D3.5.

Would any of you all ever consider a Fusion wagon? Yes or No, why or why not?

Or, if the Taurus X moves to be an Explorer, would you want a Taurus wagon?

PS-Although I think the Edge is nice, we'd prefer something lower to the ground.

To be honest, you should really take a look at the Mazda5. With the back row folded down, its quite roomy for cargo back there. Gas mileage is decent, and, with the coming MCE, it will be getting a 5AT and slightly more power from its engine. Its already quite an enjoyable ride. Granted, it only seats 4 in good comfort. You get 5 or more people in there and you'll be looking to use the back row.

The other option is a Kia Rondo. It handles very well. Its got an optional third row, but can be had without it. The gas mileage with the 4 banger isn't bad and itss got decent performance with it. The v6 leaves a lot to be desired, but, does add a nice dose of torque.

As for a Fusion wagon? After their experience with the Mazda6 wagon, which was a sporty, fine handling wagon about the size of what would be a Fusion wagon, I doubt that they'd even consider a Fusion Wagon. To be honest, I just don't think the market's ready for that yet. The Taurus X is the closest that Ford is going to get to a "full size" wagon any time soon (ala Country Squire) and look at how poorly its doing (granted, it would help if they advertised the damned thing). The midsized wagon market gets butchered by the small "cute'ute" market right now. Too much overlap. How much different do you think an Escape would be from a Fusion wagon functionally?

There is a Taurus wagon you can buy right now....

I like the idea, but two great sports wagons are discontinued for 2008, the (non outback) Legacy GT wagon and the Mazda 6 wagon went the way of the dodo. Not to mention the Focus wagon, which is a much sought-after vehicle for used car departments.

Edited by kevinb120

The Fusion really isn't my type of car. I'd rather have a bigger sedan. I don'tmind a car like the Mustang, but for a sedan I want some stretch out room.

I like the Edge myself and don't mind the slightly higher step in. Driving a half-ton truck, a higher ride height and step in is just something you get used to. Its also safer IMO in an environment where full size trucks and SUVs are still common sights. Sitting low to the ground, significantly decreases your ability to see around larger vehicles which can cause an accident if impatience gets the best of you. Still, I don't really want to drive a truck all the time either. The Edge doesn't sit that high, but I could understand the preference.

In that case, I would say that the Taurus X would be the choice. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather have a Taurus X than a Taurus sedan because the styling of the X is a bit more distinctive and I think I like the front end better.

Edited by Traveler

I'd like a Fusion wagon, especially with the new V6 and AWD. That'd be like getting an Audi at a steep discount. I also like the Taurus X and will likely like the Flex, so maybe it's a question of how many wagons Ford needs...?

This would be an ideal place for a Milan wagon based on the Mazda 6 wagon (I didn't know it was being discontinued - is that US only?). Mercury doesn't have too many wagons since it doesn't have a Taurus X, Edge or Flex coming. There are probably a lot of women buyers out there (Mercury's target market) who would like a wagon without the ride height of a CUV. Right now they are limited to Volvo and Audi at the highte price point and VW at the lower end.

I would definitely be interested in a Fusion wagon. Something that is mid sized lower riding, but not as large / crossover-ish as the Taurus X. I'm still bummed they dropped the Focus wagon and the hatches.

That being said, I'm a long time wagon / hatch back fan, who would love to have a Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant wagon, but can't afford the payments.

For those that mention the demise of the Mazda6 wagon, I believe has just gone away for a year or two, and will return when the new Mazda6 comes stateside.

I still think Ford needs in their lineup a smallish or small wagon or at least hatchback with 30+ mpg highway. There is a demand out there for this type of vehicle that holds bulkier items that don't fit in sedans. Ford right now has no such vehicle with demise of Focus hatches and wagon. If Ford wants to remain a full line manufacturer, it needs to do this IMO. A Fusion hatch or a Focus hatch, whatever. Even if it only makes up 20% of sales, why let those customers go somewhere else? Ford has a lot of space efficient vehicles, but all are classified as trucks and don't get 30mpg highway. Ford in my mind was shortsighted when they dropped hatches and wagon from Focus lineup. Ulitmately, it's going to hurt Focus sales and will be hard to get lost customers back when next generation Focus debuts. Bad move on Ford's part.

I'd want a Fusion wagon or Taurus wagon (assuming the X becomes the Explorer).

The Fusion pro's would be 'European' like handling with decent power and corning abilities, plus it'd get pretty decent mileage.

A Taurus wagon's pro's would be much roomier interior with an increased cargo area while still retaining good mileage and decent power. It would, however, require a 'sport' suspension option.

Either flavor should be 5-star safety rated all-the-way-around by NHTSA and be a IIHS Top-Safety pick.

These little wagons look quite nice too:

08rs6avant_hir002-thumb.jpg

19702.jpg

ford_mondeo_2007-06.jpg

Edited by joihan777

Yes, those wagons look good, but mainly because they have balls...they have earned their respect since they have a "sport" flavor to the equation. If the Fusion has issues not providing a competitive powertrain, then it's very hard to justify the "ball" part to the equation.

I agree with the Mazda5 being a good overall vehicle for what it is. I drive my friends Mazda5 whenever she comes into town, and place the kids in the 3rd row. All it really needs is maybe 20-30HP, and a 5th gear. MAYBE some soft touch plastics in the interior and some more sound insulation if you really wanna be picky. Overall for $19K fully loaded out the door, I think it's a great vehicle overall. The Kia Rondo only really offers a lackluster V6, but just knowing it's a Kia, it wasn't even in her shopping list for that matter.

Wagons do not sell. Sports wagons do not sell. You can cite the Subaru example, but then you have to consider if anyone would be willing to pay Subaru prices and the poor mpg for a Fusion wagon.

sanity...we already have a wagon, Taurus x, and it sells about as well as Monkey poo coffee beans at Starbux

Actually, looking at the sales numbers this month, it seems to be coming up quite nicely.

from zero to hero with a total of 2 national sales in the 3 days of 2008....LOL!...I have said it once and I will say it again...there is absolutely ZERO need for that car in fords line up, its audience does not justify its existance and its developement costs ( even as trivial as i beleive they were ) should/ could have been used directed at more lucrative markets or for more glaring needs....