2009 Escape Info

jasonj80

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brakes. Do we know anything about the rear brakes yet?

Nothing that I've seen. But the problem is not rear drum, per se. The problem is stopping distance. If you can get your front disc/rear drums to bring the car to a hault in under 130 feet, that's fine. But the current 140+ is unacceptable. There was brief mention of new tires that allow better stopping (ala Edge).

I also read that the new tires are quieter, probably the only noise issue I had with the 2008 Escape.

:hysterical: Oh Shut the fuck up and pull your head out of your ass, is it too much to ask for it not to have significant;y less horsepower and fuel economy against its competition all while being smaller...HOW ABOUT THAT? HUH? HOW ABOUT THAT?

Hell I am tired with people like yourself, always defending uncompetitive products. HOW ABOUT THEY GET COMPETITIVE?

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WANT FORD TO KEEP PRODUCING UNCOMPETITIVE PRODUCTS? HUH

Answer that one before you get all offended because I posted the truth, you whiny bitch.

LMAO!!!!! Awwww, did poor little DCK get called out by a girl................ awwwww, poor DCK.

Nice way of not answering anything. Does the word "vague" mean anything to you??

Whiny bitch??? How original. :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!! Awwww, did poor little DCK get called out by a girl................ awwwww, poor DCK.

Nice way of not answering anything. Does the word "vague" mean anything to you??

angry teen would be my guess....LOT of angry posters lately....

:hysterical: I didn't know you were a girl, calling you a whiny bitch was in reference to you being a whiny bitch, not because you are a girl. BTW answer my question what is so damn wrong about Ford competing with the v6 rav4?

Edited by DCK

I think it's freakin' hilarious how shrill you get every time Ford improves the Escape/Mariner/Tribute. I guess they're ruining your mojo...

And before you say it, no, it's not there yet. However, Ford continues to improve the product and I applaud them for that. They could have just done the restyle, clapped themselves on the back and said "Good job!". This is a good sign that Ford recognizes there are shortcomings in their product line and they are making progress in addressing it.

But the issue is they improve an uncompetitive product slightly......while the competition pulls farther ahead. This isn't the special olympics where we applaud the effort, this is a business and Ford should not be appluaded for uncompetitive products. If Ford put out class leading Escape I would give it all the credit it deserves..............but they don't, they make marginal update to an already uncompetitive vehicle that stills leaves it uncompetitive.....................that is the issue.

Ford has done one thing great and that is the Hybrid Escape, but the V6 escape shouldn't be smaller less powerfull and less fuel efficient than the rav4.

Edited by DCK

But the issue is they improve an uncompetitive product slightly......while the competition pulls farther ahead. This isn't the special olympics where we applaud the effort, this is a business and Ford should not be appluaded for uncompetitive products. If Ford put out class leading Escape I would give it all the credit it deserves..............but they don't, they make marginal update to an already uncompetitive vehicle that stills leaves it uncompetitive.....................that is the issue.

They are competitive in everything except V6 power & economy and only when compared the RAV4 and VUE.

EDIT: Actually, when you look at the comparison Igor posted earlier, the Escape matches the city rating of the RAV4 and is only 2 MPG less in the highway rating.

Edited by TomServo92

They are competitive in everything except V6 power & economy and only when compared the RAV4 and VUE.

yeah, i am not quite sure where DCK's thoughts are,,,and the RAV is quite a few more $$$$, and with the powertrain upgrades and ESPECIALLY the 6 speed auto, the Escape will fall right into line, even with the coveted Honda...and I'm NOT an Escape fan as such, in fact it confuses me on why it IS so popular.......seems styling cought on as an alternative to the japanese swoopy....

yeah, i am not quite sure where DCK's thoughts are,,,and the RAV is quite a few more $$$$, and with the powertrain upgrades and ESPECIALLY the 6 speed auto, the Escape will fall right into line, even with the coveted Honda...and I'm NOT an Escape fan as such, in fact it confuses me on why it IS so popular.......seems styling cought on as an alternative to the japanese swoopy....

The Escape I4/auto matches the RAV4 I4/auto and bests it with the I4 manual.

and I'm NOT an Escape fan as such, in fact it confuses me on why it IS so popular.......seems styling cought on as an alternative to the japanese swoopy....

Um because it looks like (Ford) SUV? The CR-V is fucking ugly with its bubble butt tail gate and the horrible gap under the grill. The RAV4 is a better execution, but why make it into a 7 seater with a totally useless 3 row?

IMO the current Escape is Ford's best looking SUV, it reminds me alot of the previous gen Explorer, the one that looked good before they screwed it up :P

Um because it looks like (Ford) SUV? The CR-V is fucking ugly with its bubble butt tail gate and the horrible gap under the grill. The RAV4 is a better execution, but why make it into a 7 seater with a totally useless 3 row?

IMO the current Escape is Ford's best looking SUV, it reminds me alot of the previous gen Explorer, the one that looked good before they screwed it up :P

to be quite honest, we were all dissapointed comparing styling with the Japanese efforts..in all sincerity we veiwed the Escape as "dated" in comparison...once again that is opinion, but was pretty much everyones opinion here ( dealership )....but, seems its strngth may be the fact that at least it is a "different" take on compact SUV styling.....

to be quite honest, we were all dissapointed comparing styling with the Japanese efforts..in all sincerity we veiwed the Escape as "dated" in comparison...once again that is opinion, but was pretty much everyones opinion here ( dealership )....but, seems its strngth may be the fact that at least it is a "different" take on compact SUV styling.....

Could be a regional thing too..living in the Northeast, people like more conservatively styled SUV's in this area, I think Jeep as a brand sells the best around here. I don't care at all for the current Japanese cute utes...the CRV, Rogue, then the RAV4 is the order I would put them for the ugliest to least ugliest Mini CUV's..

I must say that I am impressed with the base four-pot/six-speed. Yes, the V-6 is a bit down on power, and it'll be a while before the 3.5 gets there, but I don't see that as a huge problem. Hell, the CR-V outsells the RAV-4 without one. Most people will go for the 2.5. That was the huge hole in the Escape plan. I think the sales of the hybrid versions of the Escape and Mariner for 2008 will be over 27,000 easily.

I must say that I am impressed with the base four-pot/six-speed. Yes, the V-6 is a bit down on power, and it'll be a while before the 3.5 gets there, but I don't see that as a huge problem. Hell, the CR-V outsells the RAV-4 without one. Most people will go for the 2.5. That was the huge hole in the Escape plan. I think the sales of the hybrid versions of the Escape and Mariner for 2008 will be over 27,000 easily.

You bring up a good point. I remember seeing something about the Escape's engine take rate awhile back and that they sold a lot more V6's than they had initially planned. That was likely due to the I4's utter lack of power and fuel economy benefit. Now that the I4 is entirely on par (or ahead) of its main competitors, we may see quite a shift back to I4 Escapes in the sales mix. This could either lead to two things: A significant drop in V6 Escape sales -or- a significant increase in I4 Escape sales that were previously lost to I4 CRV's and RAV4's, which would lead to an overall increase in Escape sales. Hmmm....I'd be happy if the Escape manages to stay flat from last year!

Everyone needs to keep in mind, for the first 3-5 years of its existence, the base four cylinder in the Escape was the puny Zetec 2.0L I4. Now, THAT was a dog that no one wanted to hunt with. Also, when you consider the competition at the time (tiny Rav4, Early CR-V, Early outlander, and not much else worth mentioning save the Santa Fe), its no wonder that the take rate on the Escape V6 was so high, it was the only one with a decent V6 and if you exclude the Santa fe, the only one with one period.

The move to the D23 was a nice improvement, but still didn't finish the job as it still wasn't quite enough, especially when saddled with a 4AT.

Looks good... A six speed was really what the Tirplets really needed. The 2008 model solved the extream road noise problem the olders models had... A 30hp bump will also be nice...

The 2008 sold A LOT better than I thought it would. ( I think the sales caught a lot of people by suprise) All I can figure is that it gave the appearance of getting better gas milage at a time when gas prices soared. You could also find some pretty good rebates and invoice level deals on them as well. To me it looks like people who buy these little SUV's really do not care much about performance. Even the (quite quick) V6 Rav4 was dramatically outsold by the 4 banger...

P.S. I got significantly better gas milage that the sticker on my old 2005 Mariner. I averaged about 20 city and about 24 highway.... 22 combined in a 50/50 split... go figure...

On the refresh increasing sales, that black escape in the press release says it all. Its a pleasing vehicle to look at.

When I first saw the update I didn't think much of it. But after seeing these updates on the road I must say the changes really improved the "presence" of the Escape and provided it with a classic and more serious look.

The RAV and CR-v look like a toys, looks loopy or like japanese animation project, also a bit cheap.

I think the classic SUV look is getting customers from the Explorer and other larger SUV crowd. And i don't think it is because the new Explorer is ugly, its not, its just seems larger than the older Explorers, couple that with the desire for better gas mileage and the new Classic look for the smaller Escape put it in an ideal spot for those who wanted to keep an SUV style vehicle.

They'll just keep fixing until it's on the level it should've been at in the first place.

Probably in its last year it'll be at that point, or not. They really did a bad job on it.

In comparison, Honda had no need to fix their CR-V, which sells by itself at retail.

What are you talking about now? We sell them like crazy and everyone is quite happy with it, even if I'm not that enamored with it. You see the new Escapes at least 5, more like 10 to one over new gen CRV's in this area which are quite rare actually. Not sure what you mean by retail, on any Honda website they list for $500 or so under invoice...

My mom owns a cr-v and I've driven it a few times. I don't know how it sells at all. Its uncomfortable, slow, handles like poo, I personally think its hideous (subjective, I know.. ). I've no direct experience with the escape, but based on that alone the I think I'd rather have the escape.

Yup, its still the noisly little tin box in an even uglier package.