2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

silvrsvt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I ran a 13.6 at 104 stock with my 07GT. I think someone has run a 12.99 stock with one. I couldn't beat 13.3 with a chip and a tune on this one, but that was in the typical high-humidity of this area in the summer. Funny thing is, I'm a die-hard Mustang guy and love the track and mods and blah blah blah and have had a bunch of Mustangs(and cars like an RX7TT R1) some with superchargers, but I really don't care what the Challenger runs in the quarter mile. A lot of people that do the most worrying and bitching don't drive sports cars (usually don't even drive decent basic cars). Many are on the internet, driving something like a $500 94 accord with 200k miles, bitching and moaning about porsches and mustangs and skylines. The Challenger is still a fucking cool car. A big pig of a coupe with plenty of power. Its the anti-ricer, even if some dumbass wasted a ton of money building a fast civic, its just a faster piece of shit, nothing more....No matter what you do to some piece of crap, its not a Mustang, or a Challenger, or a Vette. Some things in life are just better, regardless of some static number in a magazine, which is as close as the loudest whiners come to these cars in the first place.

Edited by kevinb120

Some individuals jump all over the Mustang GT for having only 300hp, well, it looks like 300hp in the current GT will hang with Dodge's top of the line Challenger. So, I guess 300hp is enough for the base V8 in the Mustang.

Don't confuse some sort of reasoning from some of those people with an insane sense of jealousy.

The Challenger is still a fucking cool car. A big pig of a coupe with plenty of power. Its the anti-ricer, even if some dumbass wasted a ton of money building a fast civic, its just a faster piece of shit, nothing more....No matter what you do to some piece of crap, its not a Mustang, or a Challenger, or a Vette. Some things in life are just better, regardless of some static number in a magazine, which is as close as the loudest whiners come to these cars in the first place.

Dead on. I like the Mustang as much as anyone else, but let's give credit where credit is due.

00038challengeroff_chi.jpg

00040challengeroff_chi.jpg

I have a fantasy of slapping on some graphite rims and a catback on a black Challenger... truly the Anti-Prius if there ever was one.

ok lets not compare the SRT8 to the Mustang GT, lets compare the upcoming 5.7L R/T to the Mustang GT.....if the Mustang almost matches the SRT8.....the R/T will not stand a chance...

as the SRT8 doesnt stand a chance against a GT500..

so ya, we win, Dodge looks nice.. but, overall loses.

Are you guys magazine racing again? Wait till the owners have them and then see what the real world times are. Remember, heavier stock SRT8's Chargers, 300's and Magnum are hitting low 13's and high 12's regardless of what is advertised. Modded ones are doing low 11's with a couple in the high 10's . Not bad for a full size land yacht/brick/station wagon with room for your entire family's luggage (that don't have a whole lot of aftermarket support). Standard stock R/T times are generally high 13's.

In the end, is a Mustang going to be faster tit for tat? I would hope so. The Challenger is almost a full foot longer then a Mustang and a few inches wider, hence your added weight. In the meantime, stop armchair drag racing and wait and see what really happens on the strip, especially later this summer when a manual tranny is available.

Are you guys magazine racing again? Wait till the owners have them and then see what the real world times are. Remember, heavier stock SRT8's Chargers, 300's and Magnum are hitting low 13's and high 12's regardless of what is advertised. Modded ones are doing low 11's with a couple in the high 10's . Not bad for a full size land yacht/brick/station wagon with room for your entire family's luggage (that don't have a whole lot of aftermarket support). Standard stock R/T times are generally high 13's.

In the end, is a Mustang going to be faster tit for tat? I would hope so. The Challenger is almost a full foot longer then a Mustang and a few inches wider, hence your added weight. In the meantime, stop armchair drag racing and wait and see what really happens on the strip, especially later this summer when a manual tranny is available.

I was just looking up the 1/4 mile times for STOCK 06/07 Mustang GT, Mustang/Shelby GT500, 300SRT8. I expect the Challenger SRT8 to be closer to the Shelby,and the R/T to be on par with the Mustang GT.....then again they could be slower than the 300s???

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.php?make...Name=Compare%21

Edited by timmm55

Dead on. I like the Mustang as much as anyone else, but let's give credit where credit is due.

00038challengeroff_chi.jpg

00040challengeroff_chi.jpg

I have a fantasy of slapping on some graphite rims and a catback on a black Challenger... truly the Anti-Prius if there ever was one.

I for one love it...way better than the Chebbie, and the Stang needs its refresh as it IS starting to look long in the tooth....rep told us that the refresh is similar to the concept by guig....( not going to spend an hour researching the Italian equivilent of Brown )

They are both great looking machines. They took the best from each individual's lineage and made some fine automobiles.

If I had my choice, I'd most likely get a Challenger...I do like its lines better. But then again, a year or so from now when we see a refreshed Mustang, I may change my mind. But I do love big steel.

I should take those two picture you posted and adjust them in size and wheelbase to show actual size comparisons (if it has not been done already). I think the Chally is going to dwarf the Mustang. Not the best for weight obviously, but it will be one imposing machine.

They are both great looking machines. They took the best from each individual's lineage and made some fine automobiles.

If I had my choice, I'd most likely get a Challenger...I do like its lines better. But then again, a year or so from now when we see a refreshed Mustang, I may change my mind. But I do love big steel.

I should take those two picture you posted and adjust them in size and wheelbase to show actual size comparisons (if it has not been done already). I think the Chally is going to dwarf the Mustang. Not the best for weight obviously, but it will be one imposing machine.

black chally for me...ford drops an irs unit under the stang then i might change my mind

The Challenger is not a few inches wider, sorry. F/R track is around 63" for both the Mustang and Challenger. It is however around 10" longer which is not a foot but close. So yeah, it's a longer and taller, but that's nothing to brag about.

As far as your "magazine racer" comments, are you the only person allowed to type 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

ok lets not compare the SRT8 to the Mustang GT, lets compare the upcoming 5.7L R/T to the Mustang GT.....if the Mustang almost matches the SRT8.....the R/T will not stand a chance...

EXACTLY, this is the $40K+ SRT8, the one with the $2,100 gas-guzzler tax and the one that has to run Premium fuel and displace 6.1 liters.

Funny to see that the base Mustang GT running regular fuel and just 4.6 liters gets similar numbers. And it starts at just $26K.

The Challenger is not a few inches wider, sorry. F/R track is around 63" for both the Mustang and Challenger. It is however around 10" longer which is not a foot but close.

reread my post.....let me quote it for you.

The Challenger is almost a full foot longer then a Mustang and a few inches wider, hence your added weight.

10 inches would be almost a foot as I stated. The width is actually almost two inches more (not a "few" as I stated off the top of my head :rolleyes: ). Note I spoke of width, not track. (Since you want to cut hairs, yes the track is a bit wider for the Challenger as well, neglibly noted 4/5th of an inch up front and 3/5th of an inch out back.)

Heaven forbid should someone try and explain why a larger car might be heavier. :finger:

Edited by Intrepidatious