Mustang Recalled

suv_guy_19

"internal testing showed the air bag could injure a small, unbelted passenger."

Ah yes. Another recall to protect the criminally STUPID.

:banghead:

why recall it? just educate the owners with a "common sense" flyer....and here it is LAW to be belted...

Edited by Deanh

Just one more reason to issue the recall as it is usually the criminally stupid that get injured being stupid and then criminally stupid american jury's award them multimillion dollar jusdgments in a lawsuit.

This is no biggie and is just a software change.

Matthew

all the way back to 2005? why are they finding this out now?

Probably because they weren't required to design the airbags to account for small, unbelted idiots in the passenger seat, but they decided to go back and revisit the data anyway for the sake of being better-safe-than-sorry. Would make sense to go back to 2005. That's when S197 was released. First time they had significantly altered the airbag setup in years....

Probably because they weren't required to design the airbags to account for small, unbelted idiots in the passenger seat, but they decided to go back and revisit the data anyway for the sake of being better-safe-than-sorry. Would make sense to go back to 2005. That's when S197 was released. First time they had significantly altered the airbag setup in years....

coming soon to a vehicle near you...HUGE factory deacl on passengers side airbag that starts with the words..." Hey dumba$$....

You know...if you actually thought about it, this large recall may have something to do with the fact that the Mustang is a coupe...and does not have a reasonable alternative to the front seats. I highly doubt that this recall would have happened on a car with 4-doors and a proper backseat.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

You know...if you actually thought about it, this large recall may have something to do with the fact that the Mustang is a coupe...and does not have a reasonable alternative to the front seats. I highly doubt that this recall would have happened on a car with 4-doors and a proper backseat.

then the recall would be based on peoples laziness..........in which case ALL coupes would be in the same boat...all about accountability again.........

I would say 70% of the vehicles out there, have no "reasonable alternative" to the front seats...even in midsizers like the Fusion, nothing really compared to the front seats.

I'm surprised it's only on the Mustang and this "software reprogramming" isnt happening on other vehicles.

Did you miss the part about small? A small person can fit in the back of a Mustang.

I agree it is silly catering to people who do not wear seatbelts....but for some odd reason, is a requirement by the NHTSA (why make a car safer for unbelted passengers...for all we know this may make the force of the deployment worse for belted passengers now):

Ford Motor Co. is recalling 435,000 Mustangs built for the 2005-08 model years so dealers can adjust the airbag module software.

In a compliance test, federal safety officials found that a passenger’s frontal-impact airbag deployed with more force than is allowed when using an unbelted small female test dummy with the seat in the full-forward position, according documents on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Recall notices are to be sent this week to vehicle owners, the automaker told NHTSA.

Dealers are not to demonstrate or sell any of the affected vehicles until the software change is made.

Ford noted that the noncompliance in one airbag test configuration does not affect the car’s five-star front-crash safety rating under the federal government’s consumer information program.

Vehicles are given one to five stars for the amount of protection provided in frontal and side-impact tests.

Could you imagine sitting in a seat in the full forward position even with a belt on and getting thwacked by an airbag? I sure wouldn't want to.

Did you miss the part about small? A small person can fit in the back of a Mustang.

Yes, but, how easy is it to get a child's carseat back there? I've seen a 4-year old unbelt himself while in his (fully legal) car seat. Thankfully, the car was in the driveway at the time, and not moving yet. (And his grandmother - my sister - lit into him something fierce)

Ford (*) would definitely not want to face the parents of a 4YO in the front seat that unbelted himself just before a minor accident.

(*) Or any other manufacturer, for that matter

Could you imagine sitting in a seat in the full forward position even with a belt on and getting thwacked by an airbag? I sure wouldn't want to.

Yeah, but who sits in the full forward position on the passenger side though? Driver's side I can see, 'cause I've known people to sit up there. But passenger side?

Oh yeah... I also replied just to flaunt my avatar. :P

but for some odd reason, is a requirement by the NHTSA (why make a car safer for unbelted passengers...for all we know this may make the force of the deployment worse for belted passengers now)

Sounds like you don't know the history of the airbag. It was invented BECAUSE people weren't wearing seatbelts. The original specs called for the airbag to stop an unbelted grown person - that's why the deployment force was so high. Unfortunately it also killed a few kids and small adults as a result and that's what led to sensors and less forceful deployment.

I don't see why you need an airbag in the passenger seat since there's no wheel in front of you to hit. If you hit hard enough so that you contact the dash even with a seatbelt on, then I'd say you're probably not going to survive anyway.

I don't see why you need an airbag in the passenger seat since there's no wheel in front of you to hit. If you hit hard enough so that you contact the dash even with a seatbelt on, then I'd say you're probably not going to survive anyway.

Watch some crash test videos sometime. Even with a belt on, your body moves forward considerably. Even if you wouldn't hit the dash, airbags help reduce your body's momentum in an impact, lowering the likelihood of whiplash-type injuries.

My uncle was in a Crash in a Chevy Uplander rental while visiting Florida. The belts did not do anything and his head hit the dash. He was OK though surprisingly. I told him he should have sued GM :lol:.

Yes, but, how easy is it to get a child's carseat back there? I've seen a 4-year old unbelt himself while in his (fully legal) car seat. Thankfully, the car was in the driveway at the time, and not moving yet. (And his grandmother - my sister - lit into him something fierce)

Ford (*) would definitely not want to face the parents of a 4YO in the front seat that unbelted himself just before a minor accident.

(*) Or any other manufacturer, for that matter

Easy or not if it were my kid, to ensure optimal safety I'd have it back there no matter what, or not have a Mustang at all.