anybody buying the new challenger?

snooter

thought has crossed my mind seriously in the past 2 weeks...why..ford refuses to toss any bone as too engines or upgrades to the 2010 mustang....i wanted a gt350 or a boss....but the new challenger in B5 blue with shaker hood is just calling me....buy me...buy me...i could be swayed if ford at least pushes a little information out the door about the new boss or gt350....new challenger in blue sure does look good however

thought has crossed my mind seriously in the past 2 weeks...why..ford refuses to toss any bone as too engines or upgrades to the 2010 mustang....i wanted a gt350 or a boss....but the new challenger in B5 blue with shaker hood is just calling me....buy me...buy me...i could be swayed if ford at least pushes a little information out the door about the new boss or gt350....new challenger in blue sure does look good however

:headscratch:

So if Ford were to release pictures and specs today you would wait?

i liked the challenger until i found out it had an open rear diff with that much power

i still like the looks of it better than the Camaro

also the current mustang is almost as good as the SRT8 Challenger, if the stang "does" get the new "5.0L" im pretty sure it's over

Edited by Ford-150

i liked the challenger until i found out it had an open rear diff with that much power

retard.gifretard.gif

That's retarded. Someone should be fired over that. I could see having an open diff on the V6 models (if they ever see the light of day), but not the SRT8s.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

i still like the looks of it better than the Camaro

also the current mustang is almost as good as the SRT8 Challenger, if the stang "does" get the new "5.0L" im pretty sure it's over

Thats OK, when the stability control is on, it will cut all the power anyway.

It's funny that a lot of people (GM and Mopar fans) are giving Ford a hard time for cheapening out by putting a SLA in the back of the Mustang. But here we have Chryco going to the expense of putting an IRS in the Callenger but neglecting to give it a limited slip differential. Talk about penny pinching.

Denis

That's retarded. Someone should be fired over that. I could see having an open diff on the V6 models (if they ever see the light of day), but not the SRT8s.

It's funny that a lot of people (GM and Mopar fans) are giving Ford a hard time for cheapening out by putting a SLA in the back of the Mustang. But here we have Chryco going to the expense of putting an IRS in the Callenger but neglecting to give it a limited slip differential. Talk about penny pinching.

Denis

Limited slip available this summer for '09 MY. (Only the small limited run '08's do not have limited slip.)

So, yes. You can get a 6-speed with limited slip rear....in a matter of months.

Edited by Intrepidatious

The Challanger is WAY to heavy. The SRT-8 is only marginally faster than a Mustang GT. Thr problem with the Challanger is that they based a "muscle car" coupe off a large sedan platform. It would be like if the Mustang was based on the Panther platform.

Chrystler went to cheap designing it. They needed to start with a fresh platform for it that didn't weigh more than 2 tons.

Edited by jaydez

You know, the Challenger is very tempting. They did a heckuva better job on it than GM did on the Crapmaro IMHO.

You know Chrysler - they bring out occasional hits like the LX's and maybe the '09 Ram and now possibly the Challenger but everything else sucks.

Once the V6's come out I can see Challenger placing 2nd to Mustang and Crapmaro 3rd.

But I just could not see myself abandoning Mustang - even though I could never see myself owning one again because I am now the middle aged demographic that wants speed as well as luxury. :shades: *cough*new thunderbird*cough* Hell, the only piece of jewelry I wear is a gold Mustang around my neck! (small - tasteful - 14k - and I do NOT have a mullet) ;)

It is so nice to see not only the other two of the Big Three but also the foreign pieces of crap chasing Ford and not being able to get that market - no matter how small it may be be.

Edited by 96 Pony

The Challanger is WAY to heavy. The SRT-8 is only marginally faster than a Mustang GT. Thr problem with the Challanger is that they based a "muscle car" coupe off a large sedan platform. It would be like if the Mustang was based on the Panther platform.

Chrystler went to cheap designing it. They needed to start with a fresh platform for it that didn't weigh more than 2 tons.

Actually they stayed very true to the original Challenger which was built off the mid-size Charger. The specs of the new Challenger are not that far from the '70. The Challenger was one of the biggest "Pony Cars"when it was new. Of course, the Mustang had grown substantially by '69. The new Challenger is more of a Muscle Car than Pony Car.

Chrysler simply didn't have another RWD platform and starting fresh would have been far too expensive for a relatively low production model.

Initally Dodge will sell all the Challengers they will build. I don't believe it will still be around in 5 years. The Mustang will adapt to the changing market as it has for 44 years. It will survive.

Eldest niece needs wheels and her father liked the Dodges. I have no hesitation saying a great car for a 19 yo entering post secondary. As to the SRT8, there is no doubt they will sell them all to the equivelant of the Shelby gang. Would I?

NO FARKIN WAY!

I buy cars for driving now, and that is all about the show.

Just like $helby,any super Camaro, the new ZR1 and the nissan GT_R.

I really like the next CTS-V though.

Initally Dodge will sell all the Challengers they will build. I don't believe it will still be around in 5 years. The Mustang will adapt to the changing market as it has for 44 years. It will survive.

I think the same could be said of the 6.1L HEMI powertrain. I think making the first crop of 08 Challengers "SRT-ONLY" is a way to fire-sale those suckers off.

I heard somewhere that a 5.9L HEMI with VVT (courtesy of the new Viper) might be the engine of choice for the next SRT-8. I'll post a link if I can find more info.

I think they did a great job considering what they had to work with. The car looks cool and true to the original, much like the current Mustang we all love. I have no problem admitting that I'll be going to look and test drive one if I do not like something that's been done with the 2010 'Stang.

But I do, however, think that anyone shopping for one of the three new upcoming muscle cars would be foolish not to wait for a little bit longer until they can see some comparison tests and drive the vehicles themselves back-to-back. Unless, of course you've already decided due to brand loyalty or some other reason, in which case, go get it (when it's available) and I wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

last I saw the Viper was going away in the next year or two

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that the HEMI I was talking about came from the Viper, but that the VVT mechanism used in it was.

Yes, the Viper is getting the axe, as well as any trace of the 8.4L V10 pounding within it.

On another note, it is worth noting that the 5.7L HEMI in the 2009 Challenger R/T does use that VVT mechanism.

My point still remains that the 6.1L in the SRT8 is pretty much at the end of its rope.