BMW IS GOING TO BUY VOLVO FROM FORD MOTOR

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what you should have asked first, then I would have erased that and just continued with this one. However, you didn't say it, and you also posted on here negative remarks and insulted me, and then you went to the other post, and made accusations that I became a proclomaitor. The reason a new thread was began is because this thread is fundamentally different from the previous one, and deserved a new beginning as we are talking about bmw, and not about lincoln or ford.

It's true that bmw is expanding here abroad and in germany but those expansion won't come to fruition until 2 to 4 years down the road to complete, so if you can buyout a company such as volvo, at the same time eliminate a competition, make money, gain market share, gain much needed competition, any intelligent person would do it; of course, except some people on this board such as eggcock, rmc, j-150, rj, and others.

Well, I apologize, I thought I had asked that question in my original post. I was thinking it, guess I didn't get around to typing it.

Remind me again why BMW wants to buy Volvo, a brand known for FWD cars that are safe, when BMW is a brand known for producing the "ultimate driving machine?" Seems like it would dillute the brand.

People are saying BMW would buy Volvo to help them out with Mini's FWD architecture, since Volvo builds FWD vehicles.

not if I buy it first! LOL! cannot wait for that car.....

The little hatch is nice but I hope Ford Global sells the sedan as well, it looks sweet!

How could anyone want a Yaris over that beautiful little car?

I hope the US gets to sell 7-8K/month, that would lift product numbers and profit a bit.

OK, I've been on sidelines watching this little argument but now I just have to say...

WTF?

I think it's just a compliation of all of his threads and their arguments put into one....mixed in with a dash of on-topic posts.

Well, I used to enjoy reading the posts and talk about cars here. Now I find it less and less about cars.

I guess maybe that's what these trolls want...to drive people out of here. The lack of response from the admin is very frustrating, but I guess this is their property and they can do whatever they please.

I agree.

Apparently, M-B is talking with Aston-Martin, and thus any interest in JLR is probably non-existant.

Well, according to the article I read I believe yesterday, MB is considering producing parts for JLR.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jaguar-land-ro...cedes-ones.html

BMW's logo and Volvo's logo are very similar...

What does the fact that the BMW and Volvo emblems are similar have to do with anything. As I believe Michael Reynolds said, by that logic, Ford and Land Rover would've worked great together.

The little hatch is nice but I hope Ford Global sells the sedan as well, it looks sweet!

How could anyone want a Yaris over that beautiful little car?

I hope the US gets to sell 7-8K/month, that would lift product numbers and profit a bit.

I know the sedan will be sold in the US and China, not sure about other places though.

Also, Yaris is selling ~11K/month, so I'd hope Fiesta would be able to do at least that and ideally better. I know which one I'd choose, especially based on looks.

I think I was wrong; my apologies to Ford, Volvo, and their fans:

BMW have ruled out volvo after having a look inside during the last round of rumours of volvo's sale when ford us was considering selling volvo along with jag and land rover. Ford US wanted volvo gone as they have semi-luxury brands already and need money desperately. Ford Europe and elsewhere depends of volvo much much more and ford europe were pushing for volvo to be kept as it gives ford a global luxury brand. in the end, at least for now, ford europes arguements were listened to.

BMW isnt interested as there is no synergies and the volvo and bmw lineup are too close. indeed it is much cheaper to expand the mini brand and maybe begin another brand making cheaper models that to buy volvo. volvo doesnt represent real entrylevel cheap cars and that is what BMW really wants and needs.

I think Ford selling volvo is shortsighted. once they have recovered economically what are they left with?? A large US presence and cheap mainstream cars the world over. no luxury brands, no extra brand for europe, russia, china and india and compared to Volkwagen with their plethora of brands and toyotas better market coverage Ford is left small and in less markets. If they want to go this way then fine but I dont want them to sink volvo. Volvo needs decisive management, investment and confidence for the future. There are some exciting products in development, no least the S60 and XC60 but this "we sell, we dont sell" behaviour by ford is causing volvo problems.

personally I'd like to see volvo go to Tata as they are rich, good resources and would trust volvos engineering ability and leave them alone to develop volvos the way volvo does. the feeding of technology from volvo to tata would be even stronger than the way volvo feeds ford!

So ford needs to knuckle down and commit to volvo or let Tata buy them and let volvo expand. The only down side of a Tata buyout would be the "jag glass window" which would hinder volvo making a bigger saloon or bigger coupe.

Ford needs Volvo as a brand and Ford US needs to stop being so shortsighted and take a global look. Volvo already has the "one Ford" concept wrapped up. They make a range of models and sell them worldwide....no US spec only, Europe spec only etc ie efficient design!!! wake up Ford!!!!

Written by:Shimon

Swedespeed Member

241 posts

Manchester

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:rV1k2...lient=firefox-a

So now we are going from one extreme to the next.

It was OK for BMW to buy Volvo, now Ford needs to wake up and realize that they need Volvo? Even after not a single member of Ford senior management has come forth with the intent to sell the brand?

What do you mean Ford needs to knuckle down. They've had a lot of freedom, and that's part of the issue.

So in essence WTF are you talking about?

So now we are going from one extreme to the next.

It was OK for BMW to buy Volvo, now Ford needs to wake up and realize that they need Volvo? Even after not a single member of Ford senior management has come forth with the intent to sell the brand?

What do you mean Ford needs to knuckle down. They've had a lot of freedom, and that's part of the issue.

So in essence WTF are you talking about?

he's quoting another story. I'm not sure what the motivation is behind this post.

I think I was wrong; my apologies to Ford, Volvo, and their fans:

I think Ford selling volvo is shortsighted.

That's all you had to say, the article reporting BMW not interested in Volvo

was discused at nauseum here this time last year.

At least we're all on the same page with this one.:)

Even after not a single member of Ford senior management has come forth with the intent to sell the brand?

What Ford senior management says about the future of Volvo is not very convincing evidence that Volvo will remain under Ford ownership. Ford management also denied any sale of Jaguar and Land Rover. Until, that is, they announced that the brands were for sale. At the NY Auto Show in April 2007, Mulally said:

"Jaguar is on a really good plan ... We're 100 percent behind them, and that's why we're investing in them."

I can't see BMW wanting Volvo, but I think it's fairly certain they will be sold when market conditions allow Ford to get a decent price.

Sources: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...173.A12182.html

Automotive News, March 12, 2007 ( Vol. 81, Iss. 6246; pg. 3): "... Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover are not for sale"

If I understand correctly. Ford of Europe wants to keep and control Volvo. Ford of America, who has no control over Volvo wants to sell Volvo and get their hands on the cash.

How would these opinions change if Ford of America was building Volvos in the USA and had contol over local marketing, selling them in Lincoln dealerships?

What would Ford of Europe think if they had influence over design and marketing of Lincolns? If they could profit from Lincolns they sold in Europe?

Wait a minute. FoNA is where headquarters is and they control everything.

So you can see what the problem is.

In reality Mark Fields and every one under him is Ford of North America. He has no control over Europe or Asia-Pacific.

Alan Mulally, Kuzak, Farley, etc are he people incharge of world operations under "One Ford". Same building but differrent but different operations.

Lewis Booth (Ford of Europe) was controling Volvo. Volvo should be more independant with oversight by Mulally, Kuzak, Farley etc. And co-operating more with Mark Fields and however is incharge of Asia-pacific.

In reality Mark Fields and every one under him is Ford of North America. He has no control over Europe or Asia-Pacific.

Alan Mulally, Kuzak, Farley, etc are he people incharge of world operations under "One Ford". Same building but differrent but different operations.

Lewis Booth (Ford of Europe) was controling Volvo. Volvo should be more independant with oversight by Mulally, Kuzak, Farley etc. And co-operating more with Mark Fields and however is incharge of Asia-pacific.

Yes, I agree to that extent.

What Ford senior management says about the future of Volvo is not very convincing evidence that Volvo will remain under Ford ownership. Ford management also denied any sale of Jaguar and Land Rover. Until, that is, they announced that the brands were for sale. At the NY Auto Show in April 2007, Mulally said:

"Jaguar is on a really good plan ... We're 100 percent behind them, and that's why we're investing in them."

I can't see BMW wanting Volvo, but I think it's fairly certain they will be sold when market conditions allow Ford to get a decent price.

Sources: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...173.A12182.html

Automotive News, March 12, 2007 ( Vol. 81, Iss. 6246; pg. 3): "... Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover are not for sale"

Missing my point entirely. Until someone comes forward and admits that the brand is for sale, then technically as far as we are concerned it is not for sale.

I have no idea why the sale of JLR is compared to Volvo. They are two different circumstances all together.

Only value Volvo would have for TATA would be to give them real engineers to fix Jaguar with.

You are way out of order with this comment. JLR has it's own PD capability, and whilst they have some weaknesses, their inhouse capability is far more comprehensive than anyone on this forum would give them credit. Enough to design/develop/productionise entire powertrains and vehicles, one of the reasons Tata wanted them.

And as for FoE controlling Volvo or them not being independent, well I didn't see much of that when I was working for FoE especially on the powertrain front. They developed the expensive SI6 when the similar displacement, cheaper and more powerful Cyclone was being developed. They continue to use their I5 diesel when FoE designed Lion V6 supercedes it and they still have the rather expensive Yamaha/Duratec V8. They also led the EUCD platform and had significant input on the C1.

They have acted very independently since Ford purchased them, with their (and Ford's to an extent) excuse being "But we're profitable!" For the first few years that was true but certainly not in recent years.

You are way out of order with this comment. JLR has it's own PD capability, and whilst they have some weaknesses, their inhouse capability is far more comprehensive than anyone on this forum would give them credit. Enough to design/develop/productionise entire powertrains and vehicles, one of the reasons Tata wanted them.

And as for FoE controlling Volvo or them not being independent, well I didn't see much of that when I was working for FoE especially on the powertrain front. They developed the expensive SI6 when the similar displacement, cheaper and more powerful Cyclone was being developed. They continue to use their I5 diesel when FoE designed Lion V6 supercedes it and they still have the rather expensive Yamaha/Duratec V8. They also led the EUCD platform and had significant input on the C1.

They have acted very independently since Ford purchased them, with their (and Ford's to an extent) excuse being "But we're profitable!" For the first few years that was true but certainly not in recent years.

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I have no doubts that Jaguar engineers are more than capable. Jaguar needs to excelerate product development. I just think Volvo engineers would help them better than TATA. TATA has great engineers, but they not known for fine high quality automobiles.

DANG! Deleted my org chart GIF just when it's needed the most. Why is it that those of us with packrat tendencies never throw out the right things?

Alan Mulally (CEO)

Direct Reports:

John Parker (Asia Pacific/Africa)

Mark Fields (Americas, Ford NA)

Lewis Booth (Europe/PAG)

Joe Hinrichs (Manufacturing/QC)

Derrick Kuzak (Product Development)

Jim Farley (Global Marketing, NA marketing)

(there are other direct reports, such as Sue Cischke, but they're not germane to this discussion)

There is no 'Americas' and 'World' under the new hierarchy. None of those people listed above has a higher rank than any other person. Derrick Kuzak has final authority over product development regardless of geographic region. Ditto Joe Hinrichs and manufacturing. Mark Fields has no direct authority over product development. But neither does Lewis Booth.

Edited by RichardJensen

That's all you had to say, the article reporting BMW not interested in Volvo

was discused at nauseum here this time last year.

At least we're all on the same page with this one.:)

I agree.....he should've stopped there.

DANG! Deleted my org chart GIF just when it's needed the most. Why is it that those of us with packrat tendencies never throw out the right things?

Alan Mulally (CEO)

Direct Reports:

John Parker (Asia Pacific/Africa)

Mark Fields (Americas, Ford NA)

Lewis Booth (Europe/PAG)

Joe Hinrichs (Manufacturing/QC)

Derrick Kuzak (Product Development)

Jim Farley (Global Marketing, NA marketing)

(there are other direct reports, such as Sue Cischke, but they're not germane to this discussion)

There is no 'Americas' and 'World' under the new hierarchy. None of those people listed above has a higher rank than any other person. Derrick Kuzak has final authority over product development regardless of geographic region. Ditto Joe Hinrichs and manufacturing. Mark Fields has no direct authority over product development. But neither does Lewis Booth.

I'm not sure your point.

My point was that under the old system, Volvo reported to Lewis Booth and ignored Mark Fields. Your chart say Americas next to Mark Fields name.

Under the new system Volvo reports to Joe Hinrichs, Derrick Kuzak, and Jim Farley. I also hope Volvo will pay close attention to the needs of John Parker, Mark Fields, and Lewis Booth.

I would call Mulally, Hinrichs, Kuzak, and Farley world. World is a word I came up with since I don't have an organizational chart in front of me. You can also call it, or just leave the name off. Note that Farley has both Global and NA in his title. That mean that he has to report to both himself and Mark Fields. I wonder how he does that?

Edited by battyr