MT: first drive 09 escape

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1...rive/index.html

"The biggest change, though, is that you no longer have to buy one of the bottom-feeder trim levels to get four-cylinder fuel economy. The 2.5 is available all the way up to the Escape Limited and Mercury Mariner Premier versions. Small engines are big now, even with buyers who can afford more. Ford even removed the "V-6" badge from so-equipped '09 models as if it has become a badge of extravagance and disregard for the environment and global oil supply."

"Ford anticipates EPA mileage will be up 1-mpg city, 1-mpg highway, whether you get the four, the V-6 or the hybrid."

"Ford claims the lower-front air dam saves 3/4-mpg at 70 mph"

So does this mean that putting the 2.5 with the new 6 spd only gives us 1/4 additional mpg, since the front air dam gives us the 3/4 for a total increase of 1mpg?

"Ford anticipates EPA mileage will be up 1-mpg city, 1-mpg highway, whether you get the four, the V-6 or the hybrid."

So does this mean that putting the 2.5 with the new 6 spd only gives us 1/4 additional mpg, since the front air dam gives us the 3/4 for a total increase of 1mpg?

The air dam helps on gas at highway speeds, whereas--if I remember correctly--the six speed is geared so that it's basically identical to the four-speed at highway speeds. Presumably the 2.5 and the six-speed are what bump up city mileage.

Well, considering that the max speed reached in the EPA test cycle, I believe, is still only 60 mph, the full affect of the airdam change would not really be noticed in its advertised fuel economy ratings.

Actually, new EPA test regime goes to 80mph.

Also, kudos to Ford for making the fancy goodies available to 4-cylinder buyers. I'm quite impressed by that move. It echoes what they did with the Fusion/Milan, and what Honda & Toyota have been doing for years. That plus Ford equaling the CR-V's mileage should give Ford even more momentum.

Actually, new EPA test regime goes to 80mph.

Also, kudos to Ford for making the fancy goodies available to 4-cylinder buyers. I'm quite impressed by that move. It echoes what they did with the Fusion/Milan, and what Honda & Toyota have been doing for years. That plus Ford equaling the CR-V's mileage should give Ford even more momentum.

I cant agree more with you there Richard. The auto manufactures are going to have to offer loaded cars at the lower end of the size and hp ( i.e. higher milage ) cars to be competative. I honestly believe that a telescoping wheel would get a lot more men to buy the Mariner/Escape as well. I think that the biggest growth area in the next few years will be smaller vehicles with more sound proofing, better ride and handling, better interiors and more options...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1...rive/index.html

"The biggest change, though, is that you no longer have to buy one of the bottom-feeder trim levels to get four-cylinder fuel economy. The 2.5 is available all the way up to the Escape Limited and Mercury Mariner Premier versions. Small engines are big now, even with buyers who can afford more. Ford even removed the "V-6" badge from so-equipped '09 models as if it has become a badge of extravagance and disregard for the environment and global oil supply."

that's fucking retarded!

You can go online and find a V6 label, and slap onto your car. The few cents they saved, are spent making those non-functional side portholes. I dont see anyone peeling off their V6 or V8 badges from their cars anytime soon...

Why does Ford insist on putting drum brakes on this thing? My 2005 Escape XLT has disc brakes, and they are impressive. Ford products have been bottom-of-the-list for braking in every comparison test I have seen lately. They are doing a great job on all of their new products, except for the braking. You have to choose to be # 1 in your target market, or you shouldn't be in it.

The rear drum brakes in my '03 Tribute work great.

Having discs, just for the sake of saying you have discs is stupid. Now, if your braking distances are poor, you have to look at why, and fix it. To just say "putting discs on it will solve the problem," is simplistic.

I remember back in the day, in the early 90's, when the Camaro and Mustang comparisons were in every magazine.............. the Mustang would always, initially, be blasted for having rear drums. Then, when they consistantly stopped shorter, with less fade than the Camaro's.............. the tune would change.

For the most part, tires have been Fords biggest problem with their braking distances.

The six-speed automatic (a five-speed manual remains standard with the four) smoothens the power delivery, and there's none of the hunting for gears of the old 2.3-liter/four-speed auto combo. Acceleration matches the '08's 200-horsepower V-6/four-speed auto combination, at 10.4 seconds for 0-60 mph, Ford says.

Escape 2.5 6-speed auto goes like last year's V6 4 speed auto but also increases it's fuel economy.

Good move Ford!

Edited by jpd80