Ford Shortens Styling Cycle

Horbury suggested the days of minor facelifts are over, saying recent research shows small updates have "no value," while major changes have "huge value."

So what sort of changes can we expect for the Flex? According to Horbury, anything but the roofline, glass, and doors is fair game. He told trade publication Automotive News designers are "free to change" anything else.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shortens-...y-underway.html

Remember the styling turn-around time back in the 60's? These pics are all basically the same platform over a *five* year period:

1964-Ford-Galaxie-500-XL.jpg

300px-1966_Ford_Galaxie.jpg

rw_show_070807_1m-1.jpg

68fordltdcoupe.jpg

69large.jpg

-Ovaltine

Wow, that last one is crazy, they made the front look like the back!

Ummm, not quite. The shared platforms were 60-61-62-63-64, 65-66-67-68 and 69-70-71-72-?

i concur igor the 67 is a classic.....ive heard the 2012 flex will look very similar to the flintstone mobile..complete with 4 feet front wheel drive..damn gas prices...be a long trip out to the blackhills for me

Ummm, not quite. The shared platforms were 60-61-62-63-64, 65-66-67-68 and 69-70-71-72-?

Agreed...also note that the 1965 Ford was the most changed "regular" Ford since the 1949 model. The suspension, frame, body and interior were all-new.

Here's an interesting narrative that verbalizes the changes visible above. From what I read below, these changes weren't just "re-skins", actual chassis changes were usually involved every other year! Wow....

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9078/F...xie_NASCAR.aspx

For 1961, Ford redesigned the Galaxie which resulted in awards from the international fashion authority, Centro per L'Alta Moda Italiana, meaning 'functional expression of classic beauty'. Thirteen exterior colors were available to chose from, along with various sedan and wagon body styles. With multiple engine, transmission, available options, and body styles, the Ford Galaxie could be customized to suite any customers demands and wishes. The self-adjusting brakes and galvanized rust-protection body panels were standard, as was the Mileage Maker six-cylinder engine. The top-engine option was the 390 cubic-inch High-Performance 8-cylinder engine with three-carburetors and 400 horsepower. A Thunderbird 352 cubic-inch engine was available and could be modified to produce more than the base 220 horsepower.

In 1962 the biggest aesthetic difference over the 1961 model was the modifications that were done to the grill. The interior was adorned in more luxurious items and this was evident in the 500 XL models. In total, there were 14 different body-styles to select that ranged from sedans and convertibles, to wagons. Five engines were available with the 406 cubic-inc Super High Performance 8-cylinder power-plant producing 405 horsepower. If that wasn't enough, there were over 45 color keyed interior trims to select from. The Galaxie was becoming a customizable, luxurious, performance machine.

For 1963 the horsepower increased to an astonishing 425. Transmission options were a Synchro-Smooth column-shift, 4-speed manual Fordomatic Drive automatic, and Cruise-O-Matic three speed automatic. Ford continued to offer a multitude of options and bodystyles. The Galaxie 500XL was still the most luxurious offering that could be had in two or four doors. The Galaxie was given a sportier roof line and various aesthetic enhancements.

In 1964, there were sixteen bodystyles to choose from that again ranged from sedans to wagons, and hardtop to convertibles. The interior received the most attention with its new trim but the exterior did receive a new grill and panel design. There were a limited number of Galaxies fitted with the 427 cubic-inch engine and given fiberglass race equipment to help reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. These lightweight machines are legendary both in design and their accomplishments on the racing circuit.

In 1965, Ford redesigned the Galaxie, giving it a wider stance, and dual vertical stacked headlights. The base engine was the six-cylinder 240 cubic-inch engine. The top-of-the-line engine was the 427 with 425 horsepower.

In 1966 Ford introduced the 428 cubic-inch engine which came standard on the Galaxie 7 Liter model. The LTD model had a unique appearance, ornamentation, and trim. The Galaxie 500XL, Galaxie 500, and Custom 500 made up the Ford Galaxie model offerings. Again, these could be ordered in various sedans, wagons, hardtop, convertible, four or two-door configurations. Multiple options were still available, including engine, transmission, power disc brakes, power windows, power seats, vinyl room, power steering, air conditioning and more.

For 1967 Ford kept the appearance of the Galaxie similar to the prior model year. The turn signals were moved from the grill to the bumper. Ford offered 52 upholstery choices, 25 two-tone combinations, and 15 Diamond Luster Enamel paint colors. The muscle-car era was in full-swing and the Ford Galaxie was a formidable contender with its powerful engines and performance products. Its only drawbacks were it slightly larger size and luxurious amenities which were not as pure as other muscle-car offerings and added to the overall weight of the vehicle. Still, it was a high-performance, customizable, and sporty machine.

In 1968 the Galaxie was redesigned. The base model was the Ford Custom 500, available in two or four door variations. The XL was void of the Galaxie name, available in convertible or fastback configuration. The dual headlamps could be concealed when not in use in the XL, LTD and Country Squire models. Six engine options were available. Transmission options were a three-speed Cruise-O-Matic, floor-shift four-speed manual, and a three-speed manual.

In 1969 Ford moved the Galaxie higher into the luxury car segment, making it larger, heavier, and wider. The result was more room for the passengers. This trend continued into 1970 when the vehicle grew even larger. The focus was a large but quiet automobile. In total, there were 21 new models to select from ranging from three LTD Broughams, two XL models, six Galaxie 500 models, and five LTD models. The models ranged in bodystyles that consisted of two and four door configuration, hardtop, convertible, and sports-roof. Due to rising government safety and emission concerns, the horsepower rating on the engines were decreasing. The base engine was the 240 cubic-inch six cylinder engine while the four-barrel carburetor 429 cubic-inch engine produced 360 horsepower. There were three transmissions available including the three-speed manual, four-speed floor shift, and the three-speed Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic.

The goal of large, quiet, and comfortable continued in 1971 and on through 1972. Safety and comfort were big concerns for many people and the Galaxie was poised to address those concerns. It featured spacious interiors and more steel than most automobiles. Rising emission and safety concerns continued to deteriorate the horsepower. There were still multiple engines to choose from and plenty of optional equipment to satisfy all demands.

-Ovaltine

Horbury suggested the days of minor facelifts are over, saying recent research shows small updates have "no value," while major changes have "huge value."

So what sort of changes can we expect for the Flex? According to Horbury, anything but the roofline, glass, and doors is fair game. He told trade publication Automotive News designers are "free to change" anything else.

Maybe in the light of current events, having vehicles like the RWD Falcon,Falcon Ute, Territory and Mustang on a

common platform can be handled by two plants, one in the USA and one in Australia doing Right Hand drive versions.

Of course the Falcon & Territory front/rear styling gets changed but the roofline frame and doors stay........

BTW, FG Series II Falcon due by June 2010 has been signed off, complete with American V6, Ecoboost V6 and V6 Turbo diesel.

That doesn't sound like a terminating design to me.

Edited by jpd80

Exactly. They were different under the skin after 65. 64 and earlier i believe still used a leaf spring rear end and that was changed in 65 to coils all around. My 68 was the last year for that platform.

Edited by Sixt9coug

My 67 Ford looks a lot like this one in the link below - sorry I've never set up a website for photos for mine.

The only difference is mine has the 67 finned hubcaps. I've noticed that different details were used in different factories, so the ones on this one may be year correct as well.

Link to 67 Galaxie

I've owned the car since 2001, and I bet I've spent less than $150 on it since then - replaced the original headlights with halagon, new battery, and had the carb adjusted once.

In my opinion, gasoline is only part of the costs of operation - if the vehicle is inexpensive to repair and maintain, using a little more gasoline is not a big deal overall.

Here's an interesting narrative that verbalizes the changes visible above. From what I read below, these changes weren't just "re-skins", actual chassis changes were usually involved every other year! Wow....

Problem is, the panel fit was atrocious, the interiors were (at best) spartan--in the luxury models. Noise was reduced by gluing a quilt to the bottom of the hood, and you could fix everything under the hood with a socket set and a torque wrench. Ride quality depended on little more than the squishiness of the shock installed. Safety equipment was limited to seat belts, padding on the dash, and a St. Christopher medallion (if you were Catholic). Emissions equipment was pretty much just a tailpipe and a muffler, and apart from the spark plugs and starter the only things that needed electricity were the lights, radio, and (if you paid the extra $50) the clock.

And frankly, I'm surprised they didn't figure out a way to drive the clock off the crankshaft or intake vacuum like they did everything else.

What I'm saying: they weren't all that complicated to begin with. Hence making changes was easy.

Edited by RichardJensen

Except for the new interior, frame, and most suspension components. The core cab body shell doesn't need anything done to it.

Hmmm.... that sounds like the 2003 Panthers....but according to the :cheerleader:s on here, it's identical to the 1979 model.

Edited by Armada Master

One thing to note is that while the Bog 3 changed the big cars style nearly every year, the compact and mid szied cars were not changed as often. The Falcon and Fairlanes had 2-4 year cycles.

What hurt style change was cost for new regulations and the 70's recessions. OTOH, there were complaints of 'planned obsolecence' back then too. Not everyone liked that their new car was "old looking" in 12 months. VW gained buyers by saying "we still look the same".

Styling has to be timed right when buyers start to get bored,,,

Thats a good point, and I have noticed that on certain veihcles, like a Camry...there's so many of them out there, that I dont get the "oh, Wow, Look at that"...Actually, just a few months after it was introduced it became "yawn"...Boring...because I would see so many.

One example is the Edge...it's been out way over a year, and yet every time I see one, it's sort of fresh because I dont see them as much.

Actually, just a few months after it was introduced it became "yawn"...Boring...because I would see so many.

Yeah...if only Ford had that problem...

One example is the Edge...it's been out way over a year, and yet every time I see one, it's sort of fresh because I dont see them as much.

And that is a good thing? :hysterical: